- Recreational UAS (AKA "drones") FAA Federal Register posting

Started by Live2Learn, May 20, 2019, 05:17:27 PM

Live2Learn

Interesting read.  Pilots and aircrew of crewed aircraft might find it worthwhile to look over.

=========================/

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-05-17/pdf/2019-10169.pdf

Federal Aviation Administration
[Docket No. FAA–2019–0364]
Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft

SUMMARY: This action provides notice of the statutory exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft. It also describes the agency's incremental implementation approach for the exception and how individuals can operate recreational unmanned aircraft (commonly referred to as drones) today under the exception.

sardak

QuoteInteresting read.  Pilots and aircrew of crewed aircraft might find it worthwhile to look over.
Recreational/hobby drone pilots need to review this also as a number of changes to recreational flying took effect on Friday, May 17.  Notably they're now restricted from flying in controlled airspace except at "recreational flyer fixed sites," until the online system (LAANC) is operational. There are only 193 of these fixed sites across all 50 states. https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/  There is only one in my state, and the next closest one is almost 300 miles (as the drone flies) miles from me. I don't care as I normally fly in uncontrolled airspace plus I have a Part 107 certificate. 

Prior to this change, recreational fliers only had to notify the airport and ATC of their intent to fly in controlled airspace. As the FAA states "the previous law was vague and did not allow for, or require, an intervention or approval from air traffic controllers."

Mike

etodd

Conjecture on my part ... but I'd bet hard cash that this "limiting" of recreational is coming from a lot of hardline pushing by lobbyists from Amazon and others that are trying to carve out the airspace for their commercial package delivery usage. 

"Shove those drones out into the county fields alongside the model airplane folks".
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on May 20, 2019, 08:10:26 PM
Conjecture on my part ... but I'd bet hard cash that this "limiting" of recreational is coming from a lot of hardline pushing by lobbyists from Amazon and others that are trying to carve out the airspace for their commercial package delivery usage. 

"Shove those drones out into the county fields alongside the model airplane folks".

I don't see that connection.  How'd you arrive at it? 

There are lots of reasons why UAS recreational ops in B, C, D, & E (to the surface) could or should be by permission.  If towers over 200 feet, guyed met towers over 50 feet, etc. etc require FAA review why not not drones?  Or that recreationists who fly what some argue are hobby devices (that often look, fly, and have the same KE as commercial UAS aircraft) should have minimum core competencies?

TheSkyHornet

We had an aircraft recently that incurred a bird strike on final approach into EWR. The pilot reported that he did not see the bird, but heard the impact on the wing. Once the plane made it onto the ground, maintenance was called over to take a look at the damage. The mechanic stated that the damage had no signs of a wildlife impact and suggested a drone. He called our operations center to describe the damage as it appeared and took photos. Our maintenance controllers concurred that it was not a wildlife strike. The pilot reiterated that he did not see what caused the damage but only heard it and felt a slight impact. He did not concur as to what caused the damage as he did not want to make any false accusation or assumption given the nature of the inquiry. The FAA was notified of a potential bird strike and potential drone strike with the damage resulting from an unknown/unconfirmed aerial object.

A non-wildlife impact while on final approach between 500-1000 feet AGL on approach into Newark over a densely populated area...

That's a pretty big deal. What if that was an engine ingestion or windscreen impact, or impacted the flaps and not the outboard leading edge of the wing? What if that contributed to a flight control failure at that altitude? This is a huge safety concern. This isn't someone in their backyard throwing a Frisbee here to roof height.