Discrimination or Not? Excluded after asking for policy changes to be published

Started by PilotMan, June 05, 2014, 06:08:53 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 23, 2014, 06:17:45 PM
CAPR 20-1 Position Description:
"The chaplain is a member of the commander's staff at all echelons of command, and as such is the advisor to the commander and
his/her staff on matters of religion, morals, and the well being of personnel under his/her command". (emphasis mine)

One problem in CAP, as I see it (and I've been in continuous service since joining as a cadet in 1970 and have been a commander, deputy commander, chief of staff at various levels)) is people making mountains out of molehills...which is what leads to lack of comprehension, lack of motivation and lack of membership retention.

All of this has led to an absolutely ridiculous number of formal complaints about picayune matters, which wastes a lot of time of people who could be doing useful, positive things for CAP.

A mediator can help people at odds get what each other is saying.

This is a good thing.

Clarity (regarding the policy at the root of this issue) does not undermine command authority, it enhances it.

Talking a perceived problem through with a member who feels wronged does not make the commander seem weak, but rather as someone who is actually concerned about the members.

The CAP IG complaint process calls for resolving disputes at the lowest level possible...ideally, the original squadron or flight. Often this is an informal approach...and an objective third part with experience mediating between people (like a chaplain or legal officer) can help keep the conversation issue focused (rather than personality focused).

A commander should be primarily interested in accomplishing the mission and motivating members to contribute to this end.

We should use whatever resources are available -- and leave our egos outside the meeting place!

This is probably the best reply on this thread yet. Well said! I couldn't agree with you more.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I agree, ZigZag is talking sense based on experience, which to me is the best kind.

Another problem I see is people in leadership/command positions - at all levels - who have no business in a slot like that.  We can't all be Pattons, LeMays, Dowdings, Powells or Schwarzkopfs.  I served as a Deputy CC and learnt from that experience that I am no leader.  I say that without shame.  However, I am a reasonably good behind-the-scenes trainer.  It's too bad there isn't a speciality track for Testing Officers, because that's something I can do well.  It doesn't just involve grading tests, it also involves encouragement.  It's a shot in the arm to me when a young cadet is taking their first tests and get dejected because they didn't pass, even though they tried, and I mean really tried, when I advise/counsel them on how they can do better (positively)...and the next time, they get it.

That happens in the "real" world too, everywhere from managers at McD's or Taco Bell to Wall Street to the Presidency of the United States (not singling out any particular President, present or past).  It's called The Peter Principle.

Too many in CAP have command positions that they've been overeager to take or thrust upon them when no-one else will do it.  They're often overwhelmed by it, or they are not very ethical to begin with and use it to advance their own agendas and/or block others from advancing.  The ones who take on the job and, no matter how many mistakes they make, keep trying and listen to their people are the best commanders.  What really sucks in CAP is if you've got a good commander at one level (squadron, group, wing, region, national) but a jerk at any other level of the chain, you've got problems.

The relationship between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev was successful largely because they were willing to listen to and talk to each other.  Much the same goes for FDR and Churchill.

Just being an empathetic ear, even if you can't "fix" the situation, can go a long way toward defusing a potential conflict.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

mynetdude

This thread reminds me a lot of what just recently happened at my squadron.

I recently also tried to file an IG complaint on the basis of discrimination of a protected class; it is indeed difficult to prove; not only is it difficult to prove I had a lot of people telling me that I did not want to be the guy who successfully alleged the complaint against a commander because everyone would see me as the "tattle tale" AND that the ADA was for protecting your livelihood in the workplace when you are gainfully employed.

I truly believe I was discriminated but there were some complications preventing me from being able to have absolute concrete proof so I had to let it go; but there was a lot of knee jerk reaction from the commander because of how he communicates and runs the squadron.  We lost one member, another recently deployed; I've stepped out of the squadron, we have 2 other members considering quitting possibly.

Its sad that CAP commander at higher echelons allow this to continue when the problem has been going on for months (4 months to be exact); they HAVE the legal authority and it is within their AOR to remove a commander that is not providing for a functional squadron.  Working it out sometimes isn't always possible because you cannot change the person, you can only change the means IMO.

Being excluded CAN be discriminatory IF you can prove it AND you have a protected class and the exclusion is RELATED to that protected class; for example I was removed from logistics because the commander felt I could not see well enough although that is my opinion and can be seen as non discriminatory for what its worth it could also be a safety concern (yeah so perhaps, but if there is a safety problem that needs to be mitigated I can get help instead of injuring myself I am not that stupid).

All I can say is I hope that whoever is in command will realize that they need to try to understand & communicate and not try to be super militaristic not just in my squadron but in all squadrons.

JeffDG

Well, to start with a claim of discrimination for a protected class should not go to the IG.  If you submit same to the IG, their job is to forward it to CAPNHQ for review and processing.

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R036_002_D2CD7C6F4C14A.pdf

QuoteComplainants will forward complaints of discrimination to the EOO, or the Equal Opportunity Administrator at CAP National Headquarters, for handling. Any commander or inspector general receiving a complaint of discrimination shall also forward it to the EOO, or the Equal Opportunity Administrator at CAP National Headquarters, for handling.

capchick121

I had a similar thing happen to me. Only I was removed from positions from voicing a concern of safety. I went to the IG and they took things seriously. However, I had documented dates, times, etc. Report type write ups of things that were said. Direct quotes. I think that helped me a lot. Any time you feel something isn't right, document it. It'll help in the long run if you choose to take action.