Question about ranger tab thing that goes over name tape (do not drail!)

Started by maverik, May 12, 2009, 08:54:14 PM

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Mendoza1243 on May 14, 2009, 08:20:15 PM
all my respects to those who have those quals, but ur gonna tell me that a  "large black subdued rifle with a wreath around it" is authorized on ur bdu, or better yet four shoulder tabs that say ranger, sniper, airborne, and special forces are alowed

Mr. Mendoza, the "Combat Infantry Badge (CIB)", and any other military badge that was earned, according to CAPM 39-1, table 6-4, item 19 is allowed as long as the USAF permits it to be worn on the uniform. While I do not know about the airborne\Ranger\Snipe tabs, I do know that the CIB is definetly authorized and in fact was proudly worn by my TI at Lacland many years ago.

You have taken the wrong tack here, and making a fool of yourself at the same time. You need to pull in your horns, set down and read 39-1, and then after some deep thought and only then comment on such issues.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Mendoza1243 on May 14, 2009, 08:20:15 PM
all my respects to those who have those quals, but ur gonna tell me that a  "large black subdued rifle with a wreath around it" is authorized on ur bdu, or better yet four shoulder tabs that say ranger, sniper, airborne, and special forces are alowed

We're not talking about Army Rangers and their awards, insignia, etc., we're talking about Hawk Mountain Ranger School insignia.

If you're going to chime in, at least have a clue what the discussion is about.   ::)

You might also get a little more respect for your opinion if you take the time to spell check your postings, and not have a signature line which is personally insulting to a number of members on your first day as a member.

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

QuoteYou might also get a little more respect for your opinion if you take the time to spell check your postings, and not have a signature line which is personally insulting to a number of members on your first day as a member.

Which more or less was what I was trying to say as well earlier.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

SJFedor

Quote from: Mendoza1243 on May 14, 2009, 07:49:40 PM
...All that im saying is that ive never heard it said that u cannot wear something if its not in the regs...

To answer your question, I recommend you read the regulations sometime, since you're currently demonstrating you've yet to do so.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Chapter 1, Section 1-1
COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear.

Emphasis mine.

Any questions?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

AlphaSigOU

This is the disclaimer I put on the cover sheet of my unofficial blue Corporate Service Uniform and flight suit/utility uniform wear guide (color and emphasis mine):

QuoteConsult CAP Manual 39-1 (Civil Air Patrol Uniform Manual), current interim change letters and region or wing supplements for official uniform wear guidance. This guide is provided as a quick reference, but does not replace official information.

The omission of a specific item or appearance standard in the CAP Uniform Manual (CAPM 39-1 and interim change letters) does NOT mean members have the personal choice to decide how they wish to wear the uniform.

The omission of a specific item or appearance standard does NOT automatically permit its wear.

Doesn't get any clearer than that, n'est-ce pas?

[rant]I guess our educational system has really gone down the tubes when people resort to using SMS text and nonexistent grammar on a message board. If you don't have access to your full computer or laptop, and can't be bothered to use simple punctuation, spelling and grammar, then DON'T post! There is a time and a place to use SMS text; this place is not one of them.[/rant]
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BrandonKea

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 14, 2009, 09:22:51 PM[rant]I guess our educational system has really gone down the tubes when people resort to using SMS text and nonexistent grammar on a message board. If you don't have access to your full computer or laptop, and can't be bothered to use simple punctuation, spelling and grammar, then DON'T post! There is a time and a place to use SMS text; this place is not one of them.[/rant]

wtf dood y r u such a ^3 (Sorry, couldn't resist)

This whole topic has gone downhill fast, like every other Ranger Tab discussion EVER.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 14, 2009, 09:26:17 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 14, 2009, 09:22:51 PM[rant]I guess our educational system has really gone down the tubes when people resort to using SMS text and nonexistent grammar on a message board. If you don't have access to your full computer or laptop, and can't be bothered to use simple punctuation, spelling and grammar, then DON'T post! There is a time and a place to use SMS text; this place is not one of them.[/rant]

wtf dood y r u such a ^3 (Sorry, couldn't resist)

This whole topic has gone downhill fast, like every other Ranger Tab discussion EVER.

n00b.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

AlphaSigOU

Especially when the subject line says 'do not drail' (sic). It's already a train wreck.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Nathan

Well, I think it's a little different than previous discussions, and it has a slightly new issue that needed to be cleared up. It wasn't being... drailed...?... until someone felt the need to spout off "ranger pride" in a discussion having really nothing to do with it.

The discussion isn't even really the hashed-out "Are NB decisions effective immediately?", but more, "Are NB decisions effective immediately when there is still another vital party in the process that has NOT approved the decision?" I think this fits within the bill of the original poster's question quite nicely, since the question asked for a reg cite. Current regs state no per CAPM 39-1, but then the question remains as to whether the NB minutes count when we haven't seen anything even unofficially from the USAF on the matter.

If we can get back to that, we can... rerail... the topic.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Eclipse

Quote from: Nathan on May 15, 2009, 01:22:13 AM
The discussion isn't even really the hashed-out "Are NB decisions effective immediately?", but more, "Are NB decisions effective immediately when there is still another vital party in the process that has NOT approved the decision?"

Yes.

There is no gray area, no room for discussion, and its very clear in the constitution.

Next.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nathan

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 01:35:20 AM
Quote from: Nathan on May 15, 2009, 01:22:13 AM
The discussion isn't even really the hashed-out "Are NB decisions effective immediately?", but more, "Are NB decisions effective immediately when there is still another vital party in the process that has NOT approved the decision?"

Yes.

There is no gray area, no room for discussion, and its very clear in the constitution.

Next.

You must have missed the part where I said that it WASN'T what was being discussed.
Nathan Scalia

Eclipse

I did, however since your last thread ignores ignore the in force NEC directive that they can be worn, its salient, regardless.

And this is quite literally a discussion you and I have had before.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Mendoza1243 on May 14, 2009, 08:13:56 PM
Like wen ppl POSE like the were in the "AIRBORNE" or have other special qualifications on their bdu's

I'm gathering you're in Florida Wing.  Please, let me know who is illegally wearing a military badge on their uniform and I'll address with them personally.

It is one thing to do something unknowingly; like a new CAP member who is a veteran and assumes they're free to wear one of their military badges that actually aren't authorized on a CAP uniform.

It's another thing to be so arrogant and cocky and think that you're too cool for the regs and knowingly violate the regulations.  As an example, you.  You willfully violate the regs because you think your Ranger badge is more important than the regulations.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

The only member I can find with that name in FLWG is a C/Amn.

If that's you, you might want to dial it down a couple of notches...

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 01:49:41 AM

I only mentioned the FLWG thing because he has this as his avatar:

Serving since 1987.

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 01:42:20 AM
I did, however since your last thread ignores ignore the in force NEC directive that they can be worn, its salient, regardless.

And this is quite literally a discussion you and I have had before.

The NB, when making uniform decisions which require Air Force approval, directs the NHQ staff to forward up the chain via CAP-USAF.  The decision is NOT final until the approval is given by the Air Force uniform board or "designee".   However, for CAP distinctive uniforms, the NB has the final word.

The NEC does'nt usually address uniform issues unless the NB asks it to.

To date the only "ranger" patch allowed on the BDU is the "LL" patch.  And, it is not the one pictured above.  :o

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm even contributing to this thread.  :-X

Nathan

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 01:42:20 AM

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm just questioning the validity of what it says if it is saying we can do something that still requires approval from the USAF. Legally, it may be written that way to ensure the USAF knows the exact wording of what they are going to approve, not necessarily as a directive to us.

Quote from: EclipseAnd this is quite literally a discussion you and I have had before.

I don't remember it...
Nathan Scalia

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on May 15, 2009, 02:01:53 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 01:49:41 AM

I only mentioned the FLWG thing because he has this as his avatar:

Profile says Miami, which doesn't necessarily mean much...

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

^^^ that avatar is just wrong. Use the original or none at all.

Final Summation:

If you wish to wear the ranger tab now, get the BBDU.
If you wish to wear the BDU, take the tab off until USAF approves.

Easy
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Eclipse

Isn't that a legit patch from the Florida "Ranger" program?  Or is it just homemade?

"That Others May Zoom"