Service CAP buttons--Corporate Service Cap

Started by NAYBOR, October 08, 2007, 04:59:13 AM

NAYBOR

I just realized--I bought the silver strap for the service cap, but forgot about getting the new shiny CAP buttons to replace the "Hap Arnold" ones for wear with the Corporate service coat.  I did not see the option to order this type of service cap button on the Vanguard site.  Am I missing where it is?  Are there any, or do we just use the "Hap Arnold" buttons on the service cap for now?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NAYBOR on October 08, 2007, 04:59:13 AM
I just realized--I bought the silver strap for the service cap, but forgot about getting the new shiny CAP buttons to replace the "Hap Arnold" ones for wear with the Corporate service coat.  I did not see the option to order this type of service cap button on the Vanguard site.  Am I missing where it is?  Are there any, or do we just use the "Hap Arnold" buttons on the service cap for now?

I didn't see 'em on Vanguard's site; my bus driver hat still has the Hap Arnold buttons.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NAYBOR

OK, that's what I thought.  Maybe just an oversight to not have the new bright buttons for the "bus driver" hat too?

mikeylikey

PRE-NEW AF uniform, the four button version, when CAP wore the CAP specific buttons, didn't we also have the CAP-specific buttons to go on the service cap?  Where did they vanish off to.  Anyone have some left over?
What's up monkeys?

O-Rex

An idea:

CAP buttons are very similar to the old style USAF buttons: if you can find them, soak them in MEK (Methy-lethyl-ketone) to dissolve the "antique" finish.

You'd have to look REAL close to tell the difference.

BillB

The way I read the information on the TPU was the buttons were the same on worn on the earlist uniforms the shiney buttons with only the triangle and prop emblem. The ones that followed that were the ozidized ones with the CAP shield, same as the AF style buttons.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

O-Rex

Quote from: BillB on October 10, 2007, 04:39:29 PM
The way I read the information on the TPU was the buttons were the same on worn on the earlist uniforms the shiney buttons with only the triangle and prop emblem. The ones that followed that were the ozidized ones with the CAP shield, same as the AF style buttons.

I thought so too, until I saw the updated pics on Vanguard: they are shiny CAP corporate seal buttons-check it out.

alamrcn

Quote from: O-Rex on October 10, 2007, 04:16:04 PMsoak them in MEK (Methy-lethyl-ketone) to dissolve the "antique" finish.

But don't buy the pseudoephedrine and batteries at the same time... the black vans will be knocking on your quonset hut door lickadee-split!

Ok, that wasn't helpful toward the discussion... or very funny. But hey, it's Monday.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

Quote from: O-Rex on October 10, 2007, 04:16:04 PM
An idea:

CAP buttons are very similar to the old style USAF buttons: if you can find them, soak them in MEK (Methy-lethyl-ketone) to dissolve the "antique" finish.

But once you have removed that protective finish, they will be very prone to corrosion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Quote from: SarDragon on October 15, 2007, 11:13:19 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on October 10, 2007, 04:16:04 PM
An idea:

But once you have removed that protective finish, they will be very prone to corrosion.

dry with a lint-free cloth, and apply clear nail-polish. .  . . . .

You will notice that even the oxidized Hap Arnold buttons have a coating.