Main Menu

Pink Ribbon

Started by garrettkitt, June 22, 2014, 04:20:12 AM

arajca

Quote from: shuman14 on June 26, 2014, 03:57:00 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 25, 2014, 07:06:13 AM
Quote from: NorCal21 on June 22, 2014, 07:34:12 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on June 22, 2014, 06:10:39 AM
Those kind of "awards" should go the way of the dodo bird.

Its still widely used in the military. I point to the Navy still pinning on aviator wings on a submariner officer who breaches the sub accidentally.

Define "widely used." And, it's a giant leap between somebody in the Navy possibily doing this and being able to say that "the Navy" does it.

I've never served on a submarine but even as a young Marine I had heard of this tradition. So I believe "widely" is the appropriate word.
We've all 'heard' of CAP member trolling for salutes on military installations, so does that make it widespread?

Shuman 14

Quote from: arajca on June 26, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

Its still widely used in the military. I point to the Navy still pinning on aviator wings on a submariner officer who breaches the sub accidentally.

Define "widely used." And, it's a giant leap between somebody in the Navy possibily doing this and being able to say that "the Navy" does it.

I've never served on a submarine but even as a young Marine I had heard of this tradition. So I believe "widely" is the appropriate word.
We've all 'heard' of CAP member trolling for salutes on military installations, so does that make it widespread?

Clearly it is, which is why CAP has Grey Shoulder Boards.  :P

Seriously, I do get your point. Let me ask you this... do you know what a Shellback is?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Alaric

Quote from: CyBorg on June 26, 2014, 05:31:47 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 04:05:34 AM
Further to this point, and something which needs to be considered in the broad discussion;
Ask yourself..."Why is the ribbon pink?"

As someone who never got to meet my mother-in-law due to breast cancer, and who is helping his wife fight this horrible disease, this pushes buttons with me, and not good ones.

The pink ribbon has become a symbol of survival for women and men (Peter Criss, former drummer of KISS, is a breast cancer survivor), and their caregivers and loved ones.

I don't like seeing it trivialised.

Can't say why the ribbon is pink, but to Cyborg's point Breast Cancer has adopted the pink ribbon, which does not make other uses of it a trivialization.  If my niece uses pink ribbons on her kitty cat or dolly, its because she likes pink, it doesn't trivialize anything.  Symbols mean different things to different people, the crossed swords can be a symbol of the Cavalry, or the Wilkinson corporation; crossed quills can be the symbol of a Navy Yeoman; the Secretary of a Masonic Lodge, or a Finance officer in the Civil Air Patrol; and there are many other examples

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: shuman14 on June 26, 2014, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: arajca on June 26, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

Seriously, I do get your point. Let me ask you this... do you know what a Shellback is?

(polite cough)...former UK airforce here...I know what one is!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: shuman14 on June 26, 2014, 03:37:49 PM

We have grey shoulder boards because we are still being punished for the transgressions of a very, very few almost 30 years ago.

Maybe I am sensitive about the colour pink since breast cancer has hit my family in a big way, but that's how it is.  If a little girl wants to use pink ribbons, I'm OK with that.

Our kitty has a pink collar, so obviously I'm not THAT sensitive about it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Salty

Poor kitty!  She should have a collar that matches the berry boards.

:P
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Salty on June 26, 2014, 10:49:54 PM
Poor kitty!  She should have a collar that matches the berry boards.

:P

No way would I do that to my dear kitty.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

abdsp51

Quote from: CyBorg on June 26, 2014, 09:35:58 PM
We have grey shoulder boards because we are still being punished for the transgressions of a very, very few almost 30 years ago.

You have no proof of that, please quit trying to spread it.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 27, 2014, 12:17:03 AM

You have no proof it didn't happen either. Please quit trying to deny it!

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on June 27, 2014, 12:25:54 AM

I have an email from Ms. Parker saying otherwise that has been shared here and no one has shown proof otherwise. 

Panache

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 27, 2014, 12:32:21 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 27, 2014, 12:25:54 AM

I have an email from Ms. Parker saying otherwise that has been shared here and no one has shown proof otherwise.

Well, an e-mail.  That settles it, then.

Eclipse

For those who believe this type of thing is "harmless" and "all in fun", perhaps a review of the most
recent 52-10 will assist the understanding.

Further to this point, and something which needs to be considered in the broad discussion;

OK, so Cyborg got us a little sidetracked, though he raised something I hadn't considered,
but to be fair this is a different type of "ribbon".  At last sight it was a white CAC ribbon
colored with a pink highlighter.

The reason it is pink, I would conjecture, is to propagate a misogynistic and insulting idea
that the recipient is lacking in masculinity because of whatever foibles he may have committed
during the activity.  One would have thought that sort of mentality was no longer present, at
least publicly, in the CAP of today, or for that matter the military, of course we all know a few people
who have difficulty checking their prejudices at the door.

It's insulting to the recipient, female cadets, makes a veiled implied statement about the
recipient, and clearly violates 52-10.

A textbook example of "all in good fun", until the wrong cadet gets one and everyone is
in a hearing room trying to explain themselves.

If we continue to "look the other way" when our members make well-intentioned mistakes,
things will never change.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 04:20:20 AM
For those who believe this type of thing is "harmless" and "all in fun", perhaps a review of the most
recent 52-10 will assist the understanding.

OK, so Cyborg got us a little sidetracked, though he raised something I hadn't considered,
but to be fair this is a different type of "ribbon".  At last sight it was a white CAC ribbon
colored with a pink highlighter.

The reason it is pink, I would conjecture, is to propagate a misogynistic and insulting idea
that the recipient is lacking in masculinity because of whatever foibles he may have committed
during the activity.  One would have thought that sort of mentality was no longer present, at
least publicly, in the CAP of today, or for that matter the military, of course we all know a few people
who have difficulty checking their prejudices at the door.

It's insulting to the recipient, female cadets, makes a veiled implied statement about the
recipient, and clearly violates 52-10.

A textbook example of "all in good fun", until the wrong cadet gets one and everyone is
in a hearing room trying to explain themselves.

If we continue to "look the other way" when our members make well-intentioned mistakes,
things will never change.

Thats a presumption with no backing Bob, are you looking for something for people to be offended by?  I have never seen any implication in pink other than its a faded out red, perhaps you have issues with color, doesnt mean everybody else does

The CyBorg is destroyed

Hier stehe ich.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shuman 14

And you have no proof that it didn't happen... so...  ::)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on June 28, 2014, 01:32:02 AM

And you have no proof that it didn't happen... so...  ::)

Lemmig much?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panzerbjorn

There is plenty of precedent for this kind of thing.

A good friend of mine earned a Corregated Tin F$&@ Up Medal (CTFUMDL) in Vietnam from the rest of his Ranger team for misreading a map and calling in artillery on their own position instead of on a hill across the valley.

That friend continued that tradition many years ago where I was the recipient during a nighttime paintball game on a farmstead up in Wisconsin.  It was dark, I heard movement, opened fire, and created a small stampede because I had just lit up a herd of cows.  It earned me the CTFUMDL and a nickname, mainly because I looked at my squad and made the fatal mistake of saying "Let's just keep this amongst ourselves, shall we?"  That lasted pretty much until the end of the weekend.  They even reminded me of it at my wedding reception by dancing around me (including my wife) to the song Bully Bully with their fingers on the sides of their heads like horns.  It was good-natured ribbing.

We do the same thing amongst ourselves as aviators bestowing call signs upon each other.  It's all expected to be done good naturedly, and we all expect each other to have a certain thickness of skin.  But we can't expect the same thing from teenage cadets, particularly when it's coming from senior members.  Cadets look up to us as senior members (or at least that's supposed to be the case), and it could have very disastrous results to breach that trust by singling them out for ridicule.  This isn't to say that there isn't room for good-natured ribbing, it just needs to be done in a way where you're not cutting down the cadet.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on June 28, 2014, 03:03:56 PM
What's a "lemmig?"

A meme based on a Disney nature film.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on June 28, 2014, 03:03:56 PM
What's a "lemmig?"

A meme based on a Disney nature film.

Oh, a lemming!  That's what I had thought but didn't want to assume.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011