Main Menu

Service Cap

Started by cadetesman, January 22, 2012, 11:49:17 PM

68w20

Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2012, 08:51:56 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

Sure it is not offical....but we use a lot of non-offical terminology.

It is not worth getting our shorts into a bind over it.

+1.  IMHO the "confusion" that SarDragon brought up is very short-lived and can easily be solved through effective follow-up communication.

arajca

Quote from: 68w10 on February 10, 2012, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2012, 08:51:56 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

Sure it is not offical....but we use a lot of non-offical terminology.

It is not worth getting our shorts into a bind over it.

+1.  IMHO the "confusion" that SarDragon brought up is very short-lived and can easily be solved through effective follow-up communication.
-1 It can be avoided altogether by using the proper terminology.

Ned

Quote from: arajca on February 10, 2012, 09:12:23 PM
-1 It can be avoided altogether by using the proper terminology.

Of course.  And thank you for pointing that out.

I must assume that you have never - even once - used  terms like "Sarge", "First Shirt", "Pass in Review", "chow hall", "bird colonel", "Zooomie", "Brown water navy", "butterbar", "cadink", "summer camp", "doolie", "GI party", "Gunny", "jody", "KP", "Lima Charlie", "L-T", "the old man", "oh dark thirty", "bag", "gut bomb", etc.

Otherwise folks might think you were a but hypocritical.

Major Lord

Its nice to know, yes, even comforting in a way, that I can go off the computer for a couple of days, and come back to the same ol' BS about uniform stuff. Is there anyone on the board who does not know what is meant by a "Class A" uniform? Crikey! Such a simple naming system would be too easy for CAP, we like to do the kind of thing like renaming "dishwashers" , "Utensil Detoxification Technicians( lower half) " for the sake of "clarity". Have you heard any RM people scream at CAP for calling the Colors "flags"? How about cutting a little slack?

Major Lord
"Pass in review?" Ohhhh, I thought they were saying "piss in your shoe" Your way makes much more sense!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Lord on February 10, 2012, 11:30:49 PM
Its nice to know, yes, even comforting in a way, that I can go off the computer for a couple of days, and come back to the same ol' BS about uniform stuff. Is there anyone on the board who does not know what is meant by a "Class A" uniform? Crikey! Such a simple naming system would be too easy for CAP, we like to do the kind of thing like renaming "dishwashers" , "Utensil Detoxification Technicians( lower half) " for the sake of "clarity". Have you heard any RM people scream at CAP for calling the Colors "flags"? How about cutting a little slack?

Major Lord
"Pass in review?" Ohhhh, I thought they were saying "piss in your shoe" Your way makes much more sense!

This isn't just about this board. It's about the general membership. There are units out there, even in your wing, that do not use that naming system. When an outsider comes in to one of these units, and talks about a Class A uniform, there is usually a moment of awkward silence (huh?) when no one knows what's going on. After a brief clarification, there is the inevitable question, "Where's that in the regs?" And on it goes.

Until this is completely and officially endorsed, or strongly discouraged, that situation will continue, with no benefit at all to the organization.

Regarding Ned's comment, I think there's a big difference between common slang, and terminology we are/are not teaching our new members about an important aspect of our organization. We preach attention to detail in any number of ways in our day to day goings on, but this detail gets short shrift.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Okay CAPSteve, what is a "Class C" uniform in the Air Force? There is no reference to it in AFI 36-2903. Please provide a cite.

And before you shoot your mouth off, I retired from the Air Force Reserve as an E7 with 31-1/2 years of service.

Sgt. Fischer

Aren't service caps only for honor guard?

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on February 11, 2012, 08:26:01 PM

No. Cadet officers can wear them if approved by wing. All senior members may wear them.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 11, 2012, 08:30:14 PM

No. Cadet officers can wear them if approved by wing. All senior members may wear them.

Cool! I didn't' know that!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

RogueLeader

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on February 11, 2012, 08:31:36 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on February 11, 2012, 08:30:14 PM

Cool! I didn't' know that!

Think of it as an incentive to promote.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Has a bunch of my great friends would say on Facebook "Hai guyz, WTH, this is not what I was talking about!?!".
Off topic much?

Anyways, to the OP, as I said before, it is a mobility nightmare, it costs alot to get a decent one, and it doesn't always seem correct to wear when all of the peopleyou are with are C/CMSgt or below.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: CAPsteve on February 10, 2012, 04:14:39 PMI take it you are one of those Officer types who has never been in the Military, but likes to put on a uniform and pretend you are Military.
I know, it's been hammered already .. but ... right there in the .sig ...
QuoteDave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: Dad2-4 on February 10, 2012, 11:05:15 AM
We were issued service caps in Basic in 1985, and we were required to stand inspection with them in full blues during PME. Anyone who had lost theirs since Basic had to buy, borrow, or beg one. That was the only time I wore it since I was a Security Policeman.
Like some others have said, I might get one after I make Major, but they are indeed pricey.

Well this is probably dating myself but when I started out in the Air Force, we were Air Police.  When I got to my first base (I was direct duty assigned) I cut my service cover apart except for the sweat band and bill.  I replaced it with a nice white cover, placed a stiff rubber groumet in it and made one of the coolest saddles you ever saw.  Spit shined the bill and made sure the cover was the purest white possible.  I never did like that barret.  Had no bill to shade your eyes and it was hot!  You know what, after 22 years with the AF (6 years active and 16 active reserve) I still don't know what the dang number used for the combination is.  I think it's too petty to worry about.  I just tell the cadets to wear their short sleeve or long sleeve blues, with or without blouse.  (That's probably another term that will upset you...sigh)

AngelWings

Quote from: Grumpy on February 13, 2012, 08:55:55 AM
Quote from: Dad2-4 on February 10, 2012, 11:05:15 AM
We were issued service caps in Basic in 1985, and we were required to stand inspection with them in full blues during PME. Anyone who had lost theirs since Basic had to buy, borrow, or beg one. That was the only time I wore it since I was a Security Policeman.
Like some others have said, I might get one after I make Major, but they are indeed pricey.

Well this is probably dating myself but when I started out in the Air Force, we were Air Police.  When I got to my first base (I was direct duty assigned) I cut my service cover apart except for the sweat band and bill.  I replaced it with a nice white cover, placed a stiff rubber groumet in it and made one of the coolest saddles you ever saw.  Spit shined the bill and made sure the cover was the purest white possible.  I never did like that barret.  Had no bill to shade your eyes and it was hot!  You know what, after 22 years with the AF (6 years active and 16 active reserve) I still don't know what the dang number used for the combination is.  I think it's too petty to worry about.  I just tell the cadets to wear their short sleeve or long sleeve blues, with or without blouse.  (That's probably another term that will upset you...sigh)
Me too. It is way too high powered to actually be useful for half of the things I need to shoot at. ;D Don't worry, I am just messing around.

I think I'd probably use the service cap for an ornament rather than for a uniform item. It seems too pretty and fragile to be exposed to any real usage.

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on February 13, 2012, 11:11:00 PMI think I'd probably use the service cap for an ornament rather than for a uniform item. It seems too pretty and fragile to be exposed to any real usage.

Nah.

I had one a while back, and it was sturdy enough to withstand my abuse. Just needed to pay a little attention to the brim once in a while.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Good headwear for the G/W...since it's considered a replica now, it's civilian. 8)

Replace the eagle with an old CAP badge, flight cadet badge or no badge at all.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

^^
Isn't it pretty!!??  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on February 13, 2012, 11:52:58 PM

I hate to say it, CyBorg, but I'm willing to bet there's too much crush in that cap for the powers that be to accept it. Too bad though, because it is one awesome piece of headwear.
No longer active on CAP talk

ThatOneGuy

I wear a service cap, and have since I became a Cadet Officer. It is rather annoying to carry all day, I will certainly say that. In CO, it is more functional than the flight cap (IMHO) because it has a brim and can protect you at least a little bit from the rain and snow, especially with the rain cover on :D. I prefer the look of it to the flight cap myself, and think that I look better in the service cap than the flight cap. Wearing it, I have a little "chart" I use to determine when I do:

Service Dress: Service Cap
SS/LS Blues w/tie: Service or Flight Cap, depending on weather and if I'm outside or inside for the duration
SS/LS Blues without tie: Flight Cap

Each to his own of course.