Main Menu

Duties?

Started by Lazarus104, May 03, 2016, 07:54:01 AM

Lazarus104

Greetings.  I was a CAP cadet for a short time around 1988 to 1989.  While in, I had changed my mind about wanting to be a pilot and was jazzed about law enforcement after seeing SPs on the flight line at Travis AFB.  I never entered military service, but I've completed 22 years of law enforcement service.  That, however, is coming to an end very shortly due to a pending medical retirement.  While I'm not entirely happy about that, I've decided to focus on what to do next.  What exactly would I be able to do to help in CAP?  I don't know that I could physically go out on foot for SAR duties due to my injuries, and I'm not a pilot.  Would I even be beneficial to the program?  I would love to volunteer, but I also don't want to waste anyone's time.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lazarus104 on May 03, 2016, 07:54:01 AMWould I even be beneficial to the program?  I would love to volunteer, but I also don't want to waste anyone's time.

You certainly could be.

There are three other aircrew seats in every plane besides the pilot.

There are plenty of ES jobs that entail little to no walking.

Many Aerospace Education roles entail little specific physical activity.

The local unit staff jobs can all be learned from CAP internal training and mentoring and are most like typical office jobs in terms of function.

There's plenty to do.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

As Eclipse said there is more to the org than ES.  Want to work with kids and be a role model?  You can do that.  Have a love of aviation?  You can do that too.   

Think about what you want to do within the org and how you can apply your skill sets.  There is so much more to CAP than ES that are much more beneficial.

Flying Pig

As a cop myself, I found working in the cadet program to be very fulfilling. Remember you can wear a lot of hats.  You can work with cadets, be a mission observer..... Really have your cake and eat it too!

The only way you'll waste anyone's time is if you say you'll do something and don't follow through. Depending on what state you are in you could get in into other programs as well like counter drug.  While it probably won't be discussed to much here in the open though. 

But I'll guarantee your unit will find you something mutually benefitting for you to do.

etodd

A lot of ground based opportunities on the Communications side if you like working with radios. Mission Base needs folks to relay information back and forth to the planes. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAPDCCMOM

Be very careful of ending up wearing too many hats. That is a major cause of burnout. I have so many hats, that I need to be a Moose for the antlers to put them all on. At some point you must be able to say "no". I love Cadet Programs, that is where my heart is and that is what I do.

Flying Pig

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on May 03, 2016, 07:40:40 PM
Be very careful of ending up wearing too many hats. That is a major cause of burnout. I have so many hats, that I need to be a Moose for the antlers to put them all on. At some point you must be able to say "no". I love Cadet Programs, that is where my heart is and that is what I do.

That is very true.  And if at all possible, when you are starting out, try and get into something you actually enjoy.   Sometimes people think "Hey.... logistics isnt filled because nobody like stacking uniforms and stocking the sodas in the fridge, so make the new guy do it."   I have a different philosophy and that is, yes... you do need to know these things need done.  But I also want you to be interested.  You may end as logistics some day, But I dont want to toss you the crap job right out of the gate.  Unless you just really dont mind.  Please keep in mind, a member who walks in and says "I just want to help, what do you need done?"  Please dont get put off when they hand you the job nobody wants.   Overall, there is no terrible job.  Some just arent exciting.  But lets say you choose Emergency Services.  OK, cool.  But guess what?  You dont do "ES" every meeting night. 

Be reliable, dont be a taker, understand very few people actually make CAP happen in a Squadron and just follow through with what you say you'll do.

Eclipse

Being a wall-hugger for that first 6 months will get you a good idea where the need is, and since mentor assignment
is required, they should help you as well.

During that time you can dive into all the online stuff, including Yeager, and by the time you've earned your membership ribbon
you'll have more then a clue what CAP is all about.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lazarus104

Thank you all for the responses. It definitely sounds like I can still contribute, so that's definitely good. When I'm ready to formally inquire locally, I'll make sure I don't drown myself with responsibility and to examine what it is that will keep my interest level high. Thanks again.

Chappie

Lazaruz104....CAP has the following Specialty Tracks that you can choose from:

200 Personnel
201 Public Affairs
202 Finance
203 Inspector General
204 Professional Development
205 Administration
206 Logistics
210 Flight Operations  (combined with CAPP 211 Specialty Track Study Guide-Operations Officer 25 Aug 2010)
211 Operations
212 Standardization-Evaluation
213 Emergency Services
214 Communications
215 Aerospace Education
216 Cadet Programs
217 Safety
218 Plans and Programs
219 Legal
220 Health Services
221 Chaplain
222 Commander designation (see Note)
223 Historian
225 Character Development
226 Recruiting and Retention Officer
227 Information Technology
229 Organizational Excellence

So there are plenty of opportunities to serve in this organization.   I hope that you are as fortunate as I was to have two outstanding mentors that took me under their wing -- at both wing and region levels -- and provided the foundation and platform to grow personally and professionally.  I got to learn from the best...both gentlemen are no longer with us but I have endeavored to keep their legacy alive by keeping the vision/philosophy they shared with me.  In both cases, I eventually became one of their successors...and I am so thankful they were still alive to see the results of their time and energy they spent on/with me.  I have always maintained that what I accomplished was a continuation of their service.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Lazarus104

Thank you, Chappie. In your experience, what have you seen the Inspector Generals do? I read their assignment, but I realize that may not be reality.

JeffDG

Quote from: Lazarus104 on May 04, 2016, 05:58:53 PM
Thank you, Chappie. In your experience, what have you seen the Inspector Generals do? I read their assignment, but I realize that may not be reality.
I would say that the main job of the IG is operating the inspection program for the wing.  Managing the inspections and ensuring that they are all done on time, reports submitted, and discrepancy reposes are submitted in a timely manner.

Probably the second most important job of the IG is to advise the Commander on regulatory compliance overall.  They need to be able to understand the entire breadth of the regulations and provide good advice to the Commander when a question comes up.

The third, and I would submit least time-consuming duty, would be conducting investigations of complaints.  The important thing to understand here is that the IG determines facts.  The IG does not impose punishments.  That is a Command perogative, based on the facts found.

Chappie

Quote from: JeffDG on May 04, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: Lazarus104 on May 04, 2016, 05:58:53 PM
I would say that the main job of the IG is operating the inspection program for the wing.  Managing the inspections and ensuring that they are all done on time, reports submitted, and discrepancy reposes are submitted in a timely manner.

Probably the second most important job of the IG is to advise the Commander on regulatory compliance overall.  They need to be able to understand the entire breadth of the regulations and provide good advice to the Commander when a question comes up.

The third, and I would submit least time-consuming duty, would be conducting investigations of complaints.  The important thing to understand here is that the IG determines facts.  The IG does not impose punishments.  That is a Command perogative, based on the facts found.

Nothing to add to what JeffDG has posted.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

IG sounds interesting, but it is not a new member level job. To wit, from CAPP 203:

Quote from: Technician requirements5. Have prior or current staff experience at the squadron level or higher. Candidate must have been an active senior member of CAP for at least 3 years and hold a minimum of a senior rating in any other CAP specialty track.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MacGruff

I would join in the suggestions given here and ask that you go and attend squadron meetings around where you live. If you can make it to more than one squadron - do it! Each squadron is different in its leadership, mentality, and what it focuses on. If you can see multiple units, you may find that one of them is definitely more interesting to you personally than others. Also, as Eclipse said, just try and absorb the atmosphere and what is being done during your first months in the unit: Do they assign you a mentor? Where do they seem to lack in personnel? Are those things that you would want to contribute in?

Good luck, and I am sure we all will wish you a hearty "welcome aboard" if you decide to join us!

Pump Scout

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 03, 2016, 08:25:01 PMSometimes people think "Hey.... logistics isnt filled because nobody like stacking uniforms and stocking the sodas in the fridge, so make the new guy do it."

Oh, that sounds familiar. Almost word for word.  8)

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2016, 09:32:07 PM
Being a wall-hugger for that first 6 months will get you a good idea where the need is, and since mentor assignment

Maybe a silly question, but how long has the mentor been a requirement? During my last run, I never heard a single word about a mentor.

The wall hugger idea is solid. Lurking while participating allows for finding out not only what's needed, but what path a person wants to trek for themselves.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pump Scout on May 18, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2016, 09:32:07 PM

Maybe a silly question, but how long has the mentor been a requirement? During my last run, I never heard a single word about a mentor.

Since at least the Sept 2011 revision of the CAPF12:
http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/f012_15378c3760422.pdf

"To be completed by commander or designated representative: I certify that the applicant has been introduced to the Core
Values, Ethics Policies, and Safety Policies, and that I have fully reviewed the OATH OF MEMBERSHIP (on reverse) with the
potential new member. I further certify that a mentor has been assigned to assist this member in their orientation and
training. Membership becomes effective when this application is approved and processed by National Headquarters."

"That Others May Zoom"

Pump Scout

Very interesting, thank you for that. Kind of confirms something I suspected about the squadron CO where I was.

RogueLeader

The biggest issue that I've seen, and it is a systemic issue to be sure; that members are assigned "Mentors" but very few have been given the right tools to actually Mentor.  I have been lucky enough to have had 3 very effective mentors in CAP, all of them were former/current Military. 

Hopefully, more mentoring structure will be coming out soon to help us improve our mentoring skills.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340