Cadet App Record Keeping - Online and Paper Apps

Started by Майор Хаткевич, January 16, 2015, 04:34:47 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I'm looking at CAPR 39-2, Chapter 2.

First, 1-7. Active Records, states:
QuotePersonnel records should consist of training records (CAPF 66, Cadet Master Record, prescribed by CAPR 52-16, CAP Cadet Program Management, for cadets...), and other forms relating to member information such as a copy of the initial application form, CAPF 15, Application for Cadet Membership in the Civil Air Patrol for cadets...

emphasis mine

Then we get to 2-4. Application Procedures, which starts off:
QuoteIndividuals may apply for cadet membership online at www.capmembers.com/cadetjoinonline or by submitting a CAPF 15, Application for Cadet Membership in the Civil Air. Patrol.

So clearly they aren't treating the online app as the online version of CAPF15.

Now we get to 2-4, b. (1):
QuoteA copy of the online application may be printed and filed in the cadet's personnel records at the unit.
And 2-4, b. (2) (c):
QuoteThe third copy of the application will be filed in the cadet's personnel records at the unit.

Since around November, we've been sending all applicants through the online system (for obvious reasons). We've also been printing and retaining a copy of the app once it shows up on E-Services. What I don't understand is the discrepancy. What I see on an online app is less than a paper app (also, no SSN, so that's good!).  But what's the reason for retaining the paper app, but making it optional for the online app? If the concept is that the info is on E-Services, isn't that the case for both types of app, just a difference of data entry by NHQ or the applicant/applicant's parents?

lordmonar

Don't ask me.

I still wonder why we "should" keep a copy of the application in the records.

Inconsistent wording in the regulation is just poor attention to detail.   I think that the last "will" should have been a "should" or "May". 

YMMV

KB should be where to ask for a definitive answer.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 04:39:40 PM
Don't ask me.

Inconsistent wording in the regulation is just poor attention to detail.   I think that the last "will" should have been a "should" or "May". 

YMMV

KB should be where to ask for a definitive answer.

Heh. Maybe we'll stop pulling the online apps, and see how that goes on the next CI.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 04:39:40 PM

+1 - I've seen SUIs ding an admin officer for a missing app from seasoned members wearing field grade.

My response was to the effect of "well papyrus only lasts so long..."

Considering all the noise around privacy, the reg should require destruction of the app and fingerprint card
after the member is approved.  Having them in a file folder somewhere is a is a legit persec issue.

Interesting how NHQ can get regs related to adding sparkly gifs to email sigs turned around with no discussion,
but things like this linger for years with no action.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Interesting how NHQ can get regs related to adding sparkly gifs to email sigs turned around with no discussion,
but things like this linger for years with no action.

They just like seeing your eyes bug out of your head or your veins bulge.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse