Blue Beret primary slotting

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, March 05, 2019, 07:03:36 PM

Capmonkey

When it comes down to that, my best advice for you is to prioritize. I'm 17 as well, and this is my first NCSA. Remember, you can stay a cadet until you're 21, so you still have 4 years left. Prioritize whichever is most important for you, and set your heart to that.

GaryVC

I was thinking the other day about why I didn't go to special activities or more encampments when I was a cadet. While this was 50 years ago I remembered why. I worked during the summer when I was in college. I managed one encampment (my second) which was very late in the summer. This isn't a problem any longer?

Eclipse

I think it depends on age - I see more then a few cadets who are literally gone the whole summer CAP-ing.

They go from encampment to NCSA to NESA or HMRS, to EAA, and maybe staff an RCLS or something along the way.

These are usually the ones whose names rise up in national visibility.  I don't know if this is a good idea, it can really strain
families sometimes with all the travel, but you can't fault these cadets for not taking advantage of CAP opportunities.

We saw a cadet this year applying for staff who had only been in about 2.5 years and already 7 encampments & 3 NCSAs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2019, 06:26:37 PM
I think it depends on age - I see more then a few cadets who are literally gone the whole summer CAP-ing.

They go from encampment to NCSA to NESA or HMRS, to EAA, and maybe staff an RCLS or something along the way.

These are usually the ones whose names rise up in national visibility.  I don't know if this is a good idea, it can really strain
families sometimes with all the travel, but you can't fault these cadets for not taking advantage of CAP opportunities.

We saw a cadet this year applying for staff who had only been in about 2.5 years and already 7 encampments & 3 NCSAs.

That's insane, but I've seen it happen. I definitely agree that it can strain families, especially being gone an entire summer.

lordmonar

Or not.

Back in the day I was at Boy Scout Summer Camp all summer long.  First Week of June to mid Aug.   It was not a strain.   If it were a strain....that is for the family to decide what is best for that family.
Our only concern as CP leaders is are we putting on a good, safe, enjoyable program for our cadets.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP