Using Flight Sim for Training

Started by jpizzo127, December 30, 2009, 02:31:31 AM

jpizzo127

I was considering using Msft's Flight Sim with the Abacus CAP search and rescue program as a form of free training to keep our observers and pilots sharp in between flights.

Has anyone used this program?

Some problems I see:

1) No CAP radio Panel
2) The GPS is not the Apollow GX-55 we use in the planes.

Can the observer program in a search pattern in the GPS itself or is it only imported?

Any other advantages/disadvantages from using this approach.

JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

Eclipse

This is a great way to get people integrated into CAP procedures, and provide more real-world / real-time inputs for tabletop missions and similar training, but it will never replace the airframes because of the differences in equipment, etc.

Use it for training, but not tasking, and only in the general demonstration sense.

For example, you could use a flight-sim generated movie to demonstrate the proper techniques for flying a photo box around a fixed target.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Perhaps I don't understand how you plan to use FS but I don't see it offering much benefit to scanners or observers.

Why not have them download and practice with the GX simulator?

In addition, if you want to add CRM to the mix, just have them sit in the airplane perhaps with some auxiliary power.

Best part of both these options is that they're free (one of my favorite words).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

flyboy53

MS Flight Simulator is a great tool. The current version actually has a CAP search and rescue sortie as one of the missions, which is great because it has you go through a parallel pattern. The only draw back is that it has the crew do something completely unsafe by landing at a crash site to pick up survivors.  I thought it kind of illustrated the problems faced by observers. I have used this program to train cadets about flight and its great as an alternate activity during the winter months when orientation flights aren't an option. I've never thought of it as a ES training tool. The best part about it, however, is that you're not spending someone's nickel for gas.

CadetProgramGuy

This is an online simulator for Instrument training.  You can look up various thinsg about VOR and HSI, run an approach, holds, ect.....

Take a look, and tell me what you think.

http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Index.aspx

jpizzo127

Here's the plan I've got figured out.

Goal: Improve Pilot and Observer proficiency on a zero dollar budget.

Plan: Continue to fly real training in real world aircraft, and supplement this with simulated flights and tabletop SAREX's once a month during the light agenda meeting.

Pilot and Single Observer will be assigned a mission, either ELT search or Visual Search.
They will be required to complete all forms (CAPF-104, IMSAFE, and WB) before simulated take off.

Observer will be required to complete the flight plan in GPS hardmounted simulator which we have on hand.

Computer has been fitted with CH Flight Yoke and Throttle with Rudder pedals.
MSFS 2004 has been supplemented with Abacus CAP SAR software.

Once programmed in, the pilot will fly the flight plan in the abacus software which will be configure to follow the plan from the observer.

DUring mission, flight crew will practice all normal ops including comms to mission base, DFing, and visual search.

The downside is the pilot and the observer have a single monitor so they will have to look in the same place at the same time.

Gunner C

That's thinking out of the box!  Excellent!

I used Flight Sim as an observer to ensure that I was current on my navigation skills.  Playing with an E6B is much more interesting that way.  I also had a bunch of missions on slips of paper.  I'd start a navigation problem and then I'd pull out a random slip (pulled out of a shoe box).  I'd practice "retasking" in flight.  My wife hated it, but I'd do it for hours.  It kept me a lot sharper without costing me anything past the initial investment.

RiverAux

Quote from: jpizzo127 on January 01, 2010, 07:08:24 PM
Here's the plan I've got figured out.

Goal: Improve Pilot and Observer proficiency on a zero dollar budget.

Plan: Continue to fly real training in real world aircraft, and supplement this with simulated flights and tabletop SAREX's once a month during the light agenda meeting.

Pilot and Single Observer will be assigned a mission, either ELT search or Visual Search.
They will be required to complete all forms (CAPF-104, IMSAFE, and WB) before simulated take off.

Observer will be required to complete the flight plan in GPS hardmounted simulator which we have on hand.

Computer has been fitted with CH Flight Yoke and Throttle with Rudder pedals.
MSFS 2004 has been supplemented with Abacus CAP SAR software.

Once programmed in, the pilot will fly the flight plan in the abacus software which will be configure to follow the plan from the observer.

DUring mission, flight crew will practice all normal ops including comms to mission base, DFing, and visual search.

The downside is the pilot and the observer have a single monitor so they will have to look in the same place at the same time.
Don't forget to have someone waft some paper airplanes towards them to make sure they're keeping a good lookout

A.Member

I applaud the initiative but are any of you pilots?  ...aircrew?   No disrespect intended but this sounds like an idea from a non-pilot.

What is the real objective you're trying to achieve?   Pilot and observer proficiency?  Really?!  FS is not going to increase pilot proficiency.  Besides, you're only doing this once per month.  You're telling me an aircrew can't actually fly the plane at least once per month?!  That right there should be the more pressing concern.

In addition, there is a cost for the software and there is also a cost in time.  While those costs may be less than flying, so is any benefit.  I'd talk to your pilots and see if they have a better use for their time.  I'm a huge fan of the unit based SAREX approach but expecting FS to add any value is a bit optimistic at best.

Just my $.02.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jpizzo127

Actually, member, most of my squadron is made of pilots.

As a senior squadron, all we do is ES.

My squad does not have an unlimited budget. We have SAREX's and some flying on the squadron budget but otherwise my guys have to reach into their own pockets.

You don't think practicing the paperwork more often will get the observers better at doing it? I dont know about your guys, but mine still make mistakes on the paperwork.

Getting the observers to practice on the GPS an extra few hours each month is not going to help? Really? I disagree. My pilots know the GPS and the radios inside and out. My observers dont get enough time in the cockpit.
There is zero cost to this as well. Several members already have FS and Abacus so we dont have to buy anything.
What adds more value to the flight crew? Another meeting where we talk about uniform changes or using the time to at least get some type of practice. I agree this will never replace actual time in the cockpit, but when that is now available, I suggest this is the next best thing. It is not going to make my pilots better at flying. Of course not. It will make my observers better right seaters and both better at CAP procedures.

jpizzo127

[/quote]Don't forget to have someone waft some paper airplanes towards them to make sure they're keeping a good lookout
[/quote]

Actually, I was toying with the idea of killing the pilot with a heart attack to see if the observer could take over.

A.Member

Quote from: jpizzo127 on January 02, 2010, 02:33:43 PM
My squad does not have an unlimited budget. We have SAREX's and some flying on the squadron budget but otherwise my guys have to reach into their own pockets.
Yes, they will have to reach in their own pockets.  If they want to stay proficient, that's what it takes, plain and simple.  Overall the cost is pretty affordable and if they're not at least once a month (ideally a few times per month) anyway, that should be a red flag.  Have observers/scanners share the cost if you'd like.   The fact is they need to be flying.

Quote from: jpizzo127 on January 02, 2010, 02:33:43 PM
You don't think practicing the paperwork more often will get the observers better at doing it? I dont know about your guys, but mine still make mistakes on the paperwork.

Getting the observers to practice on the GPS an extra few hours each month is not going to help? Really? I disagree. My pilots know the GPS and the radios inside and out. My observers dont get enough time in the cockpit.
There is zero cost to this as well. Several members already have FS and Abacus so we dont have to buy anything.
What adds more value to the flight crew? Another meeting where we talk about uniform changes or using the time to at least get some type of practice. I agree this will never replace actual time in the cockpit, but when that is now available, I suggest this is the next best thing. It is not going to make my pilots better at flying. Of course not. It will make my observers better right seaters and both better at CAP procedures.
Agree, all the above can add value.   However, i can also be done without the added distraction of software that provides no additional value (FS).  Practicing CRM, radio procedure, and use of GX-55 can all be done without FS - and as a pilot I'd prefer it this for a couple reasons.   Not the least of which is the fact that the use of FS is unneeded distraction and will not make a pilot any more proficient (especially given that you're only doing this once per month - - it's just not enough to make a difference).  But if you have buy in from others, than great.  That portion would be a lead balloon in our squadron.

Good luck!

BTCS1 C/CC

I use it, the GPS is different but theres a button on the controlpanel for the cap radio, but for doing sorties in the different patterns it works
C/TSgt W