USAF Aero Clubs

Started by Sarge, October 09, 2007, 06:00:15 AM

Sarge

Do CAP members know they are qualified to join USAF Aero Clubs? What a GREAT (and cost effective) way to get a PVT ASEL going for themselves or add a rating!Some even have multi-engine and A+P courses available. I strongly urge those CAP members near a major USAF installation to check it out!

Sarge
Lt Col, USAF/SMSgt, USAF

SarDragon

CAP members are also allowed to join a couple of Navy clubs, although I don't know how many actually join. One thing you need to watch out for is folks who join just for that "feature" of our membership.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

There was a USAF Aero-club down the road from my last squadron.  They said we were more than welcome to join.  Some of the cadets from my squadron were taking lessons through them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Do you find USAF Aero Clubs only around active USAF installations, or ANG bases as well?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

I've only seen them at AD bases.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

There is/was a Navy aero club back in PA where I used to live at NASJRB Willow Grove. They did let CAP members join, but you had to be a rated Mission Pilot to get in the door. I think they probably did that to A) silently enforce the minimums for usage of the planes, since all rated MPs have at least 200hrs, and B) wouldn't get the people who would use CAP as a gateway directly into the club, they'd have to put some time into CAP first.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SeattleSarge

I think this is pretty well known.  In fact,  it's been my experience that many folks maintain their membership only to have access to military flying clubs.

In correspondence with Susan Parker with Member Services recently, she admitted to a problem CAP wide with this type of situation.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org