Using non-cap comms for training

Started by trekkindave, August 14, 2007, 05:37:44 PM

trekkindave

Im sure you will all correct me if I am wrong, but here goes.

From how i read it.. a squadron (any level unit) can use FRS radios for training and what not, anything short of actual  official missions.   With this being said, how can we get FRS radios with decent range in the woods??   WE were currently using the military ISR radios from squadron bivouac training and tactical support for other things...

Could we step up to those 25 mile FRS radios??

Is there any way that we can get a business band radio to use for the same function??

How are you all going about this?   

Would it be legit to use CAP simplex chanels for this function as well?

Any help would be great, including specific models, information, or grant info that oyu guys have used for your units.

1st LT Dave Collins

IceNine

First off you CAN use FRS for anything short of ES operations.

Second, stepping up to FRS for 25 miles would be a bad idea because those radios as an FCC Requirement are only legal for 1 watt or 1 roughly 1 Mile.

Using any any commercially available radio other than FRS is expressly prohibited for CAP communications.

And finally, any person can use CAP radio's for cap business including training as long as

EITHER they possess a Radio Operators Card

OR

They are directly observed by someone who does hold a Radio Operator Card

Good luck!

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

It should also be noted that by the letter of the regs, even FRS radios need to be certified before use.

The "25-milers" referred to are the GMRS, which require a license for anyone to use (general public included - costs about $70, and are prohibited for any CAP use.)

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Good point to clarify what he means, you must have the FRS radios frequency checked and certified by your wing DC or his designee(s).  You can then be issued a CAP Callsign for this equipment, just as is the policy with VHF, ISR, or any other comm equipment in CAP

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Al Sayre

Yes, otherwise you have to communicate like this: 
"Hey Larry, this is Moe..."
"Yeah Moe whadda ya want?"
"Tell Curly to haul his butt back to camp, there's some here dude that wants to chew him a new one..." 

etc.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

Wasn't there an exception allowing FRS radios, even on ES missions, for administrative use within a base or on a flight line?
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 15, 2007, 01:37:50 PM
Wasn't there an exception allowing FRS radios, even on ES missions, for administrative use within a base or on a flight line?

No, as that would cause issues with OPSEC and the FAA definitions of how those radios are defined for use - same issue with business-band radios.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

the FRS exception you are talking about is ONLY...  If you suspect that a missing person may have the ability to communication on an FRS radio, there is no other acceptable use for it.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4