Using a Scanner on a Distress Beacon Search

Started by Luis R. Ramos, December 25, 2012, 01:35:33 AM

RiverAux

In regards to the FL statute that was posted, one might argue that CAP could fall into the exemption for the Armed Forces.  It would require some stretching since we aren't actual "employees" even though we are acting for the Armed Forces. 

JoeTomasone

Having lived in both states, here's my interpretation:

NY: Unless you're a ham, you have no defense. 

FL: You have a few outs:

"radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement officers or fire rescue personnel of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of its agencies."

--If it's not tuned to/programmed for those groups, you can argue thusly.

(a) "Emergency vehicle" shall specifically mean:
1. Any motor vehicle used by any law enforcement officer or employee of any city, any county, the state, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Armed Forces of the United States while on official business;

-- As mentioned before, if you are on an AFAM, you are acting under the AUX ON umbrella and can argue as such as well.

-- Get your ham radio license. 

Brad

Quote from: flyer333555 on December 28, 2012, 10:36:17 PM
Specifically for Brad, but to others wondering whether the scanner is to body block:

Using a scanner works much better than DF with a DF such as an L-Per...

Yep! In fact when I did my Mission Observer trainining, since it was a combined Mission Pilot / Mission Observer class, one of the tasks for the aircrew was to know how to DF an ELT on the ground, i.e. if we end up landing at the airport before the ground team gets there. Saves resources.

Our instructor didn't let us use LPERs though, since that normally isn't found on an aircraft. Instead, we were to use Airband AM handhelds and we body-blocked our way around the flightline and hangars until we found it. Correction, we did have an LPER, but we took the antenna assenbly off and substitued a rubber duck to serve as another simple omni-receiver.

So it's always a good idea to know the capabilities of your equipment and how to use them in a pinch, but also be aware of the laws related to them.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN