USCG Floatplane rescue from AOPA

Started by Robborsari, September 14, 2012, 06:07:17 PM

Robborsari

"Shaw said a Civil Air Patrol aircraft circled until it was low on fuel, and a Cessna 206 from the California Highway Patrol stayed with the airplane for more than an hour until the rescue. The Coast Guard acknowledged CAP, California Highway Patrol, and Customs and Border Protection aircraft for helping to spot the aircraft, adding that two emergency radio beacons, including a personal locator beacon, helped search-and-rescue personnel locate it. "

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2012/120913power-loss-over-rough-seas.html?WT.mc_id=120914epilot&WT.mc_sect=tts&cmp=ePlt:RdMr

I don't know if that link works without an AOPA membership.

I did not see this discussed on here.  Anyone have any more details on how CAP got involved?
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Critical AOA

My guess is that they were probably already in the air and in the area and ATC asked them to take a look.  It happens.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

bosshawk

However it happened, there are several CAP units within 15 or 20 minutes flying time of the crash location. 
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Critical AOA

True but how long does it normally take after the call is made before the average CAP plane can be in the air to make that 15 - 20 minute flight?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: bosshawk on September 16, 2012, 02:04:42 AM
Two hours to two days!!!!

Not always. Page came out at Midnight, we were in the air at 0100. Mind you myself and the MP lived close to the airport, but still a fairly quick response.

Mark

Critical AOA

That is fast.  Get the call, get dressed, drive to airport, mission brief with crew, preflight, get a release, engine start, runup and takeoff in one hour.   Even if you lived on the airport, that would be impressive!

a2capt

Yes, no. maybe. I've done it, too. BITD I was in the air with a crewmate in under an hour from being called.

If one of you lives closer to the airport than the other and starts doing stuff.  I've gotten there when the observer was also a pilot and I was perfectly fine with them doing all the preflight stuff while I drove up, walked around once more, was handed a checklist as I opened the door, strapped in and called Clear Prop a couple minutes later, and outta there.

'cause  I have my flight bag, headset,  radios and such, as well as the CAP ES stuff in a cabinet by the front door. Grab and go. Done.

At 0100 ... you can get many places pretty optimally, there's no one out there.

Mark_Wheeler

Luckily we worked very well together and had a nice division of labor. MP took care of the airplane, I got the 406 ELT Information. With that type of mission the actual briefing was fairly simple and direct. Plus being a small airport with the tower closed, the only airplanes in the sky were us and 2 local police air units.

Mark

bosshawk

Good on ya!!  When I lived in San Jose, I can remember getting alerted and being off the ground in an hour: of course, I lived 10 minutes from the airport.

You are correct, having a competent right seater makes all the difference.

On the other hand, I have seen it take better than a day to gather a crew and get them moving.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Good go Mark but I thought this was in NorCal, and was that not a long flight from where you live?

bosshawk

I believe that the crash occured off Morro Bay: not quite Northern CA, but more like Central.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: Mission Pilot on September 17, 2012, 04:25:20 AM
Good go Mark but I thought this was in NorCal, and was that not a long flight from where you live?

I'm pretty sure you're the one that just e-mailed me :D No I was on the 406 ELT in So Cal late at night, it was one of your aircrews up north.

Mark

Flying Pig

Morro Bay in Nor Cal?  Hmmmmm. not hardly ;)

bosshawk

My guess was a crew out of Paso Roble, San Luis Obispo or Santa Maria: can't remember where they have planes based these days.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Pretty sure there's still one in Santa Maria. Don't have time right now to look up any others.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I'm not sure there was a CAP plane there.  Not unless it was a member owned plane.

bosshawk

All of this tooing and frooing comes from a statement in the original post to the effect that a CAP plane circled the accident site until it ran low on fuel.  Just a lot of speculation as to to who and how.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

It's not in WMIRS so that says something.