What Photo Editing Software do you or your Wing use for ES photos?

Started by Capt. Chris Homko, November 06, 2011, 06:35:22 PM

Capt. Chris Homko

I am curious as to what photo editing software is used to geotag and format ES photos properly. I know about the standards set by NatHQ, and the fact that using the photo upload functions in WMIRS is unable to fulfill the needs for customers who do not have access to WMIRS. I would like to know what you use and why. I've heard of RoboGeo and a few others. Thanks!

Thom

Here in Louisiana Wing we use RoboGEO and we've been extremely happy with it. In fact, we worked with the developer to update the CAP-specific functions of the software and add some significant new options and capabilities. The response could not have been better, and every single feature we asked for got implemented, including a couple that we thought were almost completely unlikely to happen.

That said, I'm aware that while several wings use RoboGEO and are happy with it, there are also many wings using other packages that they are happy with.

Alabama Wing and New Hampshire Wing are both well-known for having robust airborne photography programs. You might ask them directly for better advice.

One last thing about RoboGEO: During the Mississippi River Flooding Mission, LA Wing took over 10,000 pictures, delivered over 7,500 of those to the customer (FEMA, National Guard, etc.), and got rave reviews from the customer for our final product. The ability to GeoTag photos, label them, rename them, and deliver them to the customer in large batches, very quickly, absolutely made the difference in our success on that mission. RoboGEO was a critical tool for that process, and I highly recommend it.

Thom

ande.boyer

We use RoboGeo. 

It's a shame that it costs so much. We only need about 10% of its capabilities, but it does that 10% very, very well.  The photo stamping software that's on the NESA website is free, but if you're doing more than a handful of pictures and the images are time critical it's not a very feasible solution.

Ande Boyer
ALWG ADIS Operator

Captain Morgan

Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 11, 2011, 04:00:41 AM
RoboGeo in Kentucky ...
Sir, if you don't mind me asking, how do you have GTM3 and IC3?

I thought you had to have GTL/GTM1 to get IC3? ???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on November 11, 2011, 04:30:10 AM

You need either AOBD & GTM3 or GBD & MS in order to move upwards. At NESA I met a GTL student who was GTM3 and is a Florida IC.

Captain Morgan

Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 11, 2011, 04:45:51 AM

You need either AOBD & GTM3 or GBD & MS in order to move upwards. At NESA I met a GTL student who was GTM3 and is a Florida IC.
PSC requires (AOBD + either (GTM3 OR UDF)) or (GBD + MS).  OSC requires PSC and IC3 requires OSC.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on November 15, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

PSC requires (AOBD + either (GTM3 OR UDF)) or (GBD + MS).  OSC requires PSC and IC3 requires OSC.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the exact progression but that's it.

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 15, 2011, 01:40:23 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on November 15, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

Yeah, I couldn't remember the exact progression but that's it.
Basically:  If you come up on the "Air" side (AOBD) then you need to have (or have had...doesn't need to be current) at least one "Ground" qualification.  If you come up on the "Ground" side, then you need to have (or have had) at least one "Air" qualification.

I just finished my PSC qual, and did it as AOBD+UDF as my prereq.

907JenS

Alaska has also used "GPS-Photolink", in addition to the GPS tethered to Nikon set-up.