Use of member-owned aircraft on missions

Started by RiverAux, May 15, 2010, 04:49:17 PM

Short Field

Yes it is.  But trying to compare the USCG Aux air program with CAP is like comparing apples and oranges. 

CAP furnishes airplanes for members to use during missions and allocates funds to support that.  You don't have to own your own airplane to be a active mission pilot in CAP.  The USCG Aux relies on member-owned aircraft to conduct their missions and allocates their funds to support that. 

What some aircraft owners are really advocating is to routinely take funding from corporate aircraft and the people who fly them and give that money to the aircraft owners so they can fly their own airplanes.  If a mission needs exists to use member-owned aircraft, fine.  But just to make them happy so they stay members? 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Quote from: Short Field on May 29, 2010, 08:07:42 PM
What some aircraft owners are really advocating is to routinely take funding from corporate aircraft and the people who fly them and give that money to the aircraft owners so they can fly their own airplanes.  If a mission needs exists to use member-owned aircraft, fine.  But just to make them happy so they stay members?
Since I was the one who brought the issue up, I'd like to point out that I am neither a pilot or an aircraft owner -- just someone that wants to maximize the number of resources that CAP can bring to bear on missions of any type. 

Short Field

I have never seen a problem with getting member-owned aircraft authorized when needed on a operational mission.  I have more problems getting full crews for the next day's sorties than getting airframes.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

JoeTomasone

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 08:45:10 PMAgain....there is nothing stopping you and your wing CC from using member owned aircraft for missions, training or O-flights.....except the number of hours being put on the corporate aircraft.

Quote from: AFI 10-2701
3.6.2.10. Use of Member Owned or Furnished Aircraft. CAP Corporate aircraft will be the
resource of choice for AFAMs. Member-owned or furnished aircraft may be utilized with the consent
of the owner when specific mission requirements preclude using a CAP aircraft or a CAP aircraft
is unavailable. The approval authority that assigned Air Force mission status will approve
routine use of a member owned or furnished aircraft in coordination with the authority's legal
staff. Under emergency or imminently serious conditions, member owned or furnished aircraft
may be used without coordination only if required to accomplish the mission. Except in exceptional
circumstances, before use of member owned or furnished aircraft member owned aircraft is
approved, the owner of the aircraft must execute a "hold harmless agreement" waiving any claims
for property damage against the United States arising from the use of the aircraft. The approval
authority will ensure that the aircraft has a current flight worthiness certificate.

RiverAux

In other words, "you can ask, but we probably will say no".