Main Menu

Safety Pledge

Started by Psicorp, April 05, 2007, 03:34:00 PM

Psicorp

Okay, I know there are some pretty strong opinions on this subject but any and all constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Last night my CC informed me that I have a new project:  Since the old Safety Pledge is obsolete and was a bit long and not the easiest to break into recitable phrases, he wants me to craft a new Safety Pledge for squadron use.

Is anyone else using an "unofficial" pledge/oath? 

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RogueLeader

Iowa wing has come up with a new safety pledge thats a bit shorter.  STAND BY.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

The Safety Oath

"I pledge that I will serve safely in the Civil Air Patrol and that I will attend safety meetings regularly, participate actively in safety activities, obey safety policies, maintain vigilant awareness of safety around aircraft, ground resources and other equipment, and advance my training to prepare myself to conduct Civil Air Patrol policy in an athmosphere of safety."

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 05, 2007, 03:39:51 PM
The Safety Oath

"I pledge that I will serve safely in the Civil Air Patrol and that I will attend safety meetings regularly, participate actively in safety activities, obey safety policies, maintain vigilant awareness of safety around aircraft, ground resources and other equipment, and advance my training to prepare myself to conduct Civil Air Patrol policy in an athmosphere of safety."

Yup, makes me all excited about safety right now.
I just safely typed that.

Lancer

Quote from: tedda on April 05, 2007, 03:57:53 PM

So then you must have had on your DayGlo Orange Safety Vest on when you typed!  ;)

JC004

I like the original 2003 pledge better.  It sounded less like it was written by Microsoft's lawyers.

I pledge to do my part to foster a safe environment during all CAP activities, to be a responsible steward of CAP resources, and to fully prepare myself for the challenging missions that serve America.

RogueLeader

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 05, 2007, 04:00:20 PM

So then you must have had on your DayGlo Orange Safety Vest on when you typed!  ;)
And a bucket if siting on the ground, or a flight suit if in the air.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Psicorp

Safety is difficult to get excited about.  We shouldn't have to remind people to be safe.

"I pledge to serve more safely in the Civil Air Patrol, that I will not stick bling in an electrical outlet...ever again, that when I see a pilot running from his airplane I will follow (or lead if he's slow),  that I will memorize the phone number to 911, and that I will never again say, 'hey ya'll, watch this'."

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on April 05, 2007, 04:31:03 PM

Safety is difficult to get excited about.  We shouldn't have to remind people to be safe.

"I pledge to serve more safely in the Civil Air Patrol, that I will not stick bling in an electrical outlet...ever again, that when I see a pilot running from his airplane I will follow (or lead if he's slow),  that I will memorize the phone number to 911, and that I will never again say, 'hey ya'll, watch this'."

What's the number for 911?
I always thought 911 was  nine eleven.
Opps, my bad ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

When it was required, we made up laminated index cards..

Seniors - Core values on one side, safety pledge on the other.

Cadets - Cadet oath / Safety pledge.

We recited it at every meeting, as directed, and memorized it, or had the cards as a reference.

>ONE< unit in ILWG decided it was too hard, and all of a sudden we had a new one.

We recite the original one at every meeting.  It has not rained frogs yet...

(which, frankly, would be kinda cool to see...)

My unit has a CULTURE of safety, and doing things right "just because".  An oath didn't' make any difference.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major_Chuck

Okay, I'll probably get shot for this one....

I thought the Safety Pledge and the many versions of it were ineffective.  (This coming from a Safety Officer).

We had a short one that was easy to remember, then we changed it to a wordy paragraph, then we dropped it.  A few months later it was resurrected.  I can't tell you how many meetings I went to where cheat sheets had to be handed for those present to recite from.  They all had that look on their face as though they were 'going through the motions'.

Safety is very difficult to get eveyone excited about.   There is no glamour and most of the time you hear about all the 'bad' results from someone being unsafe.

Safety Officers and Commanders have to take the lead to promote a Safety Culture.  Members have to embrace that culture as part of their daily lives and routine.  Everyone needs to ask a simple question before undertaking any of our tasks.  "Is this safe and will I or someone else get hurt?"

Attempting to use safety oaths, pledges, and contracts....just don't work that well.  Being proactive and embracing a total safety culture and mindset does.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

ddelaney103

OK, here's one for you...

S-s-s-s A-a-a-a F-f-f-f E-e-e-e T-t-t-t Y-y-y-y
Safe, dance pledge!

[Spoken]
We can dance pledge if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance pledge and if they don't dance pledge
Well they're no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to
A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind
And we can dance pledge

A.Member

Rather that coming up with another silly pledge, I'd suggest putting that energy into some other effort that is actually meaningful. 

Although I did get a chuckle out of ddelaney's pledge.  ;D
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Psicorp

Quote from: A.Member on April 06, 2007, 02:03:31 PM
Rather that coming up with another silly pledge, I'd suggest putting that energy into some other effort that is actually meaningful. 

I would like to, believe me, but I was given this assignment and I'll do it.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

ZigZag911

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 06, 2007, 12:57:08 AM

Safety Officers and Commanders have to take the lead to promote a Safety Culture.  Members have to embrace that culture as part of their daily lives and routine.  Everyone needs to ask a simple question before undertaking any of our tasks.  "Is this safe and will I or someone else get hurt?"

Attempting to use safety oaths, pledges, and contracts....just don't work that well.  Being proactive and embracing a total safety culture and mindset does.

I think you are entirely correct....we need a positive approach, a safety oriented mindset.

In the 1970s, the late President Ford, unsure how else to handle rampant inflation in the US economy, had thousands of lapel buttons made with the slogan 'WIN -  Whip Inflation Now' emblazoned on them.

His buttons had as little (or as much) direct effect on the economy as the Pledge did/does on CAP operations!

Johnny Yuma

I believe most units/Wings have Deep-Sixed the old pledge long ago.

However, there were some cadets around here who were able to chant it not unlike the monks on Monty Python and the Holy Grail, complete with banging their heads with a book as they marched.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

A.Member

Quote from: Psicorp on April 06, 2007, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: A.Member on April 06, 2007, 02:03:31 PM

I would like to, believe me, but I was given this assignment and I'll do it.
Well, if you have to (and I'm not sure you do, I'd push back) then how about this:

I will be safe.  Amen.

;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JC004

Ever since they nixed the pledge, I started putting my arm into rotating props again.   :o

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 09, 2007, 05:12:44 PM
Ever since they nixed the pledge, I started putting my arm into rotating props again.   :o

How do you type? ???
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 09, 2007, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 09, 2007, 05:12:44 PM

How do you type? ???

Vista comes with voice recognition software.