No Berets at NBB 2022?

Started by Eclipse, July 26, 2022, 06:42:28 PM

Eclipse

Has common sense prevailed and they are being reserved for garrison only?

A couple people up there right now are saying they are seeing CAP, but no berets.

Inquiring minds want to know.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

Being a former Beret, berets are typically reserved for on-compound activities. Once you leave the compound, it's the NBB baseball cap.

Fubar

Quote from: Capmonkey on July 26, 2022, 11:19:45 PMBeing a former Beret

You were once an ugly hat? My congratulations on your perseverance to recover.  ;D

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 26, 2022, 06:42:28 PMHas common sense prevailed and they are being reserved for garrison only?

A couple people up there right now are saying they are seeing CAP, but no berets.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Maybe a quick check of CAPR 39-1 Paragraph 6.2.3 would have answered your question. It's even highlighted since it is part of the latest change. "Wear of the blue beret issued at the Blue Beret special activity may be worn after the activity until 15 June 2021. After that time the beret issued at the activity will only be worn during the activity."

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 27, 2022, 05:00:39 PMAfter that time the beret issued at the activity will only be worn during the activity."

Um...yes.

This is literally "during the activity", which is why I asked.

People on the ground at KOSH were commenting about not seeing them.

Unless NBB and AirVenture are treated as separate activities in this context.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Trying to remember if the berets are awarded at the beginning of the activity or at the end.
The voices in my head are saying at the end of the activity.

RangerConlin

I feel like I got my beret halfway through and my pin closer to the end.

Capmonkey

Quote from: RangerConlin on July 28, 2022, 12:10:42 AMI feel like I got my beret halfway through and my pin closer to the end.

I should walk my comment back and mention that you're always a beret, so I'm not former, haha. Second, you get the beret itself at the end of the first week and the crest whenever your flight staff feels you are ready and display the spirit and values of St. Albans

jeders

Berets were awarded to participants Monday night by General Aye, and since then we have been going through the fluffening (when bits of fuzz from freshly shaved berets start floating around the compound). First time attendees won't receive their crest until some time later this week, at which point they will be allowed to wear the beret on compound and off compound while not on duty. Berets are generally never authorized off compound while on duty (with a few exceptions such as honor flight); instead, wear of the activity hat with 'NBB" across the front is mandated for all participants.

So in short, yes, there are absolutely berets being worn by Berets at Beret.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

Quote from: jeders on July 28, 2022, 02:53:26 AMSo in short, yes, there are absolutely berets being worn by Berets at Beret.

Which under the current rules is the only place you can wear them now

JacobAnn

I'll be there tomorrow. I will be sure to take notice.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: jeders on July 28, 2022, 02:53:26 AMBerets were awarded to participants Monday night by General Aye, and since then we have been going through the fluffening (when bits of fuzz from freshly shaved berets start floating around the compound).

Having worn berets as part of my uniform for many years in the RAF, I was curious about "shaving" berets.  What do the recipients do with their headgear?

jeders

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on July 29, 2022, 12:48:28 PM
Quote from: jeders on July 28, 2022, 02:53:26 AMBerets were awarded to participants Monday night by General Aye, and since then we have been going through the fluffening (when bits of fuzz from freshly shaved berets start floating around the compound).

Having worn berets as part of my uniform for many years in the RAF, I was curious about "shaving" berets.  What do the recipients do with their headgear?

Usually they will shave off some of the fluff from the beret as well as cut out the liner in order to make it thinner and easier to shape.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Jester

I don't know why there's a difference between berets sold here vs OCONUS but every foreign one I've seen didn't need all the TLC we have to do here like shaving.  I had a Qatari Army beret that was absolutely perfect out of the box, no fuzz or anything.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: jeders on July 30, 2022, 05:27:52 PM

Usually they will shave off some of the fluff from the beret as well as cut out the liner in order to make it thinner and easier to shape.

Interesting; please see my longer reply to Jester as I don't know how to easily quote two posts simultaneously!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Jester on July 31, 2022, 05:54:37 PMI don't know why there's a difference between berets sold here vs OCONUS but every foreign one I've seen didn't need all the TLC we have to do here like shaving.  I had a Qatari Army beret that was absolutely perfect out of the box, no fuzz or anything.

I think you have a point.  Mine were always "ready to wear", although we did remove the plastic piece that covered the stock number etc; if you didn't then your beret became much sweatier than usual!

Interesting side bar, asked and answered!  Thanks.