Flight Boot question

Started by vento, January 28, 2009, 09:18:41 PM

vento

What do most people wear in the flight deck? Our squadron does not allow jungle boots with flight suit because the jungle boots have Nylon or Gore-Tex materials in it. I understand that all leather combat boots are ok but they are usually hard to break in.

Belleville has a series of flight boots that are quite nice, but I am not sure what is the difference between "Flight Approved" and "Flight Deck Approved". Their customer service tells me that Flight Deck approved is for pilots only...!?!? Note that the US Air Force "Flight Approved" boots also has Gore-Tex material in it.
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/standards.php
Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks a lot!

SilverEagle2

I bought some Bellville 700 Flight Approved Boots not to long ago. Very comfortable and AF Flight approved.

What is the reasoning on the Gor-Tex ban.

Who set the standard and why?

Does not make any sense to me...I can see the Nylon in a fire, but not Gore-Tex.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

es_g0d

Wear a comfortable boot that complies with uniform requirements.  Unless you're flying ejection seat aircraft or are extremely concerned with fire, comfortable uniform boots are fine.  I think its overly cautious for your squadron to go on a crusade disallowing any kind of boots.  That said, I don't think that jungle boots are well suited for flying, but that's simply personal opinion.

About 7 years ago we (the Air Force) softened from requiring all-leather boots.  Honestly, the all-leather flight boots aren't terribly comfortable and they have soles that I'm certain are coated in a lubricant similar to WD-40.  They're TERRIBLE in any sort of off-dry-tarmac situation.  

So we went to the Belleville boots.  They're decent.  They do have synthetics in them (nylon & gore tex) which are terrible in a fire, but they provide better overall support and utility.  They have a great sole.  Their ankle support isn't as good as the all-leather flight boots.  Additionally, they come in a manner of colors to fit our needs.  (Is the sage green approved for CAP yet?  I doubt it...)  If you're concerned about fire, find an all-leather boot.  The contents of a leather flight boot are often the most survivable portion following a high-energy accident.

Last time I checked, boots were disallowed for flying gliders.  This was in result to an incident/accident involving jammed controls and boots.

Just so you know I'm not making this stuff up, I have recently (within the past year) been a life support officer flying ejection seat aircraft.  
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Al Sayre

I wear leather combat boots if I'm in BDU's or "Roper" type leather boots with flight suit or polo shirt uniform.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

O-Rex

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 28, 2009, 09:34:29 PM
I bought some Bellville 700 Flight Approved Boots not to long ago. Very comfortable and AF Flight approved.

What is the reasoning on the Gor-Tex ban.

Who set the standard and why?

Does not make any sense to me...I can see the Nylon in a fire, but not Gore-Tex.

If those are the black Navy-Marine safety-toe all leather boots with the no-FOD soles, I have them too.  Ripped out the gore-tex lining (do you really need it on a flightline?) so now they feel like my old Nike high-tops: most comfortable boot I've worn in 27 years.

Unless your wing has a supplement, jungles are okay per 39-1, but like many of the posts above, most of us wear all-leather or Nomex/Gore-tex combo's, when you can find them.

No mold-green boots for CAP yet, but there is a flight-approved version.

Hawk200

Quote from: vento on January 28, 2009, 09:18:41 PM
Their customer service tells me that Flight Deck approved is for pilots only...!?!?

Not sure I'd really trust their customer service. Flight Deck is just that, the Flight Deck of an aircraft carrier. If you look more in-depth, I think you'll notice that all the Flight Deck boots are approved for Navy use, although anyone could wear them.

What you'd want are "Flight Approved" boots. Now that there are different colors for the various branches, you'll find Flight Approved for each one. For now, you'll want to go with the black.

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 28, 2009, 09:44:27 PM
I wear leather combat boots if I'm in BDU's or "Roper" type leather boots with flight suit or polo shirt uniform.

I wear the Ropers with blues or flightsuit. For BDU's, I wear a set of Hi-Tecs. They're comfortable, and will stand up to carrying some lighter packs. If you're packing something heavy, standard combat boots are probably the best bet.

Most people don't like to take the time, but with new boots, I've always saddle soaped them, then worn them for a few hours. Take them off, and let them dry for a few days. They tend to feel better after that.

MikeD

I really wish I knew where to get a decent pair.  I wear my official issue (GSA supply) ones from work.

SarDragon

Ya wanna know what the difference is between Flight Boots, and Flight Deck Boots?

A piece of leather.

See the double layer on the toe? That's to keep them from wearing out so quickly when crawling around under a/c on the non-skid covered flight deck. That is the singular distinguishing feature. Both flavors come with steel toe inserts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

An excerpt from my unofficial CAP flight dress uniform guide:

QuoteFLIGHT BOOTS

Boots: If you engage in flight duties, it is recommended that you wear full leather boots or USAF authorized
Gore-Tex flight boots for additional protection in the event of a fire. Wear black boots or shoes with the CAP utility uniform.

While the Air Force now allows the greenish-gray Airman Battle Uniform (ABU) suede flight boot
with the sage green flight suits, they are NOT authorized for wear with the CAP flight dress uniform.

WHAT IS CONSIDERED A 'FLIGHT BOOT'?

To be considered a flight boot, boots must be made of all-leather uppers that come above the
ankles (the higher the better) and must be constructed so that metal parts, such as shoestring
eyes or zippers, do not contact the wearer's skin. Non-leather boots must be flight approved in
accordance with U.S. military standards for aviation use.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040