Which flight cap for FO's?

Started by 107Knight, July 22, 2008, 11:12:29 PM

107Knight

Which flight cap (silver diamond or blue braided) do FO/TFO/SFO's wear? My squadron is of the opinion that they wear the blue braid, as a cadet or SNCO would, but the knowledge base, states otherwise and I can find no revision to 39-1 changing it to the blue.  ???
Proud Member of CAP since Mar '03

IceNine

There are 2 sections to reference in this instance

First 39-1 1-3 defines officers as "As used in this publication, includes senior member grades flight officer through major general and cadet grades second lieutenant through colonel"

And the note #2 on page 41 say "Senior member officer flight cap has silver and blue braid"

So, FO's wear the silver/blue braid. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

107Knight

Proud Member of CAP since Mar '03

IceNine

sure don't feel bad questions like this where you have 2 or more reference points are always difficult to interpret. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JC004

Just wear the solid silver braid one.   :-X

lordmonar

The screwy part is that SM's with out grade wear the NCO style hat.....what is the sense of making someone buy a hat for only six months?

I usually tell my new SMWOG to go ahead and buy the officer hat.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I advise new seniors to go with a golf shirt for the first 6 months and "reward" themselves with service dress when they make 2d Lt. (if they are so inclined).

During the first six months, as quals and training are ramped up, there's not too much seniors can do that they can't do in the golf shirt.

By six months they should have an idea whether CAP is for them or not, and be ready for activities that might require more "complex" uniforms".

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on July 23, 2008, 03:17:39 AM

Generally speaking, that is correct.  How ever Technically Fight Officera aren't generals, generally speaking that is.  >:D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 23, 2008, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: JC004 on July 23, 2008, 03:17:39 AM

Generally speaking, that is correct.  How ever Technically Fight Officera aren't generals, generally speaking that is.  >:D

The solid silver braid is authorized for Flight Officers under 39-1 only when the flight officer in question can produce a document from a licensed mental health professional that the flight officer is suffering from "Delusions of grandeur."
Another former CAP officer

BillB

What these posts are saying is the solid silver braid is for General officers. FO through Col wear silver and blue braid.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BillB on July 25, 2008, 12:57:19 PM
What these posts are saying is the solid silver braid is for General officers. FO through Col wear silver and blue braid.

And to be technical about it (splitting hairs even further) the blue and silver officer flight cap piping is in a 'diamond' pattern (you hafta look closely to see it). If I remember correctly in some obscure Air Force fighter jock slang, it's been also called the 'zipper' braid. Army officers from WO to Col wore gold and black zipper braid on their overseas caps before it was ditched for the black beret.

In less politically-correct times the term 'zipperhead' was a derogatory term for officers, especially those who wore the officer flight cap (mainly for aircrew, as part of the green bag). For obvious reasons it's no longer used today since the same term now is considered a racial slur describing people of Asian descent.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040