Main Menu

boonie hats

Started by 1sgtarcherCT062, June 01, 2008, 07:31:51 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on August 10, 2008, 03:16:42 AM
If we were asking to wear Kevlar, I'd understand, we have no need for it, but a simple wide-brimed hat that is just as useful to a CAP GTM on a REDCAP as it is to an Airman in Iraq, I don't understand...

There's all kind of possibilities as to their reasons. Someone said "no". Until the person that did is honest as to the reasons, we will never know. Try not to worry about it, there enough stressed out GI's out there that are slowly going crazy over it. We don't need everyone in the country going bugnuts trying to figure out the military's reasoning.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2008, 03:38:02 AM
QuoteWill you find a document calling BDUs a combat item or a weapon system?
BATTLE Dress Uniform

Good point. Most people don't know it, but a lot of the initial correspondance on the BDU referred to it as a "Battle Dress Utility", not "uniform". It was treated more as gear than clothing.

JohnKachenmeister

Are we still talking about this nonsense?

The Army, and to the best of my knowledge, the Air Force, do NOT authorize the bush hat for their own troops in the US.  Why in the world would the AF authorize them for CAP troops in the US?

I wore a bush hat in Vietnam (which got lost when I DEROS'ed) and I wore one in Honduras, (Which I still have).

And... yes, the sun IS hotter in the tropics.
Another former CAP officer

BillB

Darn,  I thought it was BAGGY Dress Uniform, at least on some people it is.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyerthom

Quote from: lordmonar on August 10, 2008, 01:06:15 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2008, 04:02:19 PM
Strange, isn't it, that the vast majority of people at Corpus Christi's North beach go without any head gear, or, with a baseball cap...and survive to live another day; however there are those here that cite the need for a boonie hat (and it seems like a thread on it comes up like every two months or so) as if we have CAP Officers and Cadets dropping like flies.

Tell me, boonie people, do you wear a fedora hat with your regular clothes?  I do.  I best most wear a baseball cap...if anything (and maybe even backwards).

Let's just call it what it is.  You people want to "look cool," the safety issue for the boonie is a red herring (I'm mean, if you gonna demand bonnie hats for safety protection, why not "smoky the bear" campaign hats or pith helmets?)

I might be out of line in saying the above, however, that is my intial reaction to the posts I have read.

Strange that anytime anyone suggests a uniform change we get guys who come out of the wood work and accuse us of being Posers.

Reality is somewhere in between.  So let us just stop with those ad homid (sp?) attacks.

Bottom line....the are not authorised....they should be....but until they do I'll not wear one.

It was stated in an HSO seminar that they were approved for field use. However until I see it on paper I wouldn't spend any money.

(besides that - Calvary stetsons are way cooler  >:D )
TC

Eclipse

Quote from: flyerthom on August 10, 2008, 02:19:28 PM
It was stated in an HSO seminar that they were approved for field use. However until I see it on paper I wouldn't spend any money.

To see it on paper you'd have to print the 01 APR 08 ICL rollup memo from the (then) iCC, its there, for better or worse.

"That Others May Zoom"

McAllister

I'm surprised boonie hats haven't been authorized yet. Don't you think they should have had them authorized from the get-go?

Eclipse

no

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

That's CAVALRY, son. It's Air Cav, not Air Cal.

Calvary is the hill from the Bible.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

FW

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 14, 2008, 12:55:07 PM

I think we should authorize Cavalry Stetsons (and kickers) for field use.   ;D >:D

DogCollar

Are Chaplains authorized to wear a Calvary Stetson??????? :angel: :angel: :)
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

flyerthom

I wuz hung by moxilla's spill chicker!
TC

DC

Quote from: flyerthom on August 15, 2008, 03:21:34 AM

I wuz hung by moxilla's spill chicker!
;D

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: McAllister on August 11, 2008, 04:57:30 PM
I'm surprised boonie hats haven't been authorized yet. Don't you think they should have had them authorized from the get-go?

negative

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: McAllister on August 11, 2008, 04:57:30 PM

No, nein, non, nyet, iie! Ain't gonna happen, fuhgeddaboudit!  ;D I can see it being used out in the field, but as a replacement to a patrol or ball cap for in-garrison wear, no way!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

I think that, that is what McAllister was suggesting.

I too wonder why the USAF was so adamant about not allowing us to wear the boonie hat.  But IIRC they were adamant about not allowing us Gortex as well and that changed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP