NRA Marksmanship Badge (Paperwork)

Started by Valkyrie950, February 08, 2016, 03:49:34 PM

Valkyrie950

Morning,

What paperwork needs to be filled out for a Cadet to receive the different levels of the NRA Marksmanship Badge? I know a certified instructor needs to sign it off, but is there a specific form for that? And may the firearm training be individually earned or does it have to be in a Squadron-sanctioned event?

Respectively,

N.Rodriguez

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The NRA / Winchester certificates have a line for instructor but the NRA only requires a member witness the Distinguished Expert rating. Anyone can order the certs from NRA. If a cadet presents a certificate, that meets the requirement for wear of the medal. If you suspect it's not legit I'd ask them for someone to verify it.

I've run a junior rifle program for 15 years that awards those certs. This last Sept I started a program for RI Wing Cadets to qualify

kwe1009

Also, you should complete a CAPF2A for the squadron commander to authorize the wear of the medal once proper documentation has been reviewed.  To answer your last question, the cadet can earn it individually.  It does not have to be a CAP-sanctioned event.

almostspaatz

The link below sends you to the guidebook that explains the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program, the last 2 pages you should print and use to log your targets in order to determine when you are eligible for the next rating, also provide your squadron leadership with the latest copy of your log for their files to prove you earned the badge.

http://mqp.nra.org/documents/pdf/education/training/marksmanship/qualbook.pdf

The program is self-paced and built almost entirely on the honor system (until you get to Distinguished Expert), so I recommend keeping accurate record (with dates).

After you earn your first badge and go to order your award from their website remember you can only wear the medal on the CAP cadet uniform (although the other stuff is cool too), order several at a time if you know you are going to work up to them, this will save you a lot in shipping.
http://materials.nrahq.org/qualificationawards.html

Good luck on your marksmanship journey!
C/Maj Steve Garrett