Cloth insignia on BDU cover?

Started by USNASomeDay, December 13, 2010, 01:14:51 AM

USNASomeDay

I was recently sewing my Dads cloth BDU insignia. I had finished the blouse and was about to move onto the cover when I checked 39-1 for correct placement of the insignia.
     Now, this may seem like a stupid question, but are senior member officers supposed to wear insignia on the BDU cover? I have seen many (senior member) officers with grade on their covers. Has there been a change to 39-1 or is it just a FLWG thing?

C/SSgt Youngblood
SER-FL-169

Pylon

It is required to be on the BDU hat.  CAPM 39-1 is not up to date unfortunately (a long-term, repeating NHQ failure).    Check the Interim Change Letters, the details are in one of the letters. 

Centered horizontally and vertically, while not always within the written letter of the poorly-worded and poorly-illustrated ICL is how the USAF does it and how most would agree it looks best.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MSG Mac

I thought we had discussed that in person last week.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

USNASomeDay

Quote from: Pylon on December 13, 2010, 01:17:07 AM
It is required to be on the BDU hat.  CAPM 39-1 is not up to date unfortunately (a long-term, repeating NHQ failure).    Check the Interim Change Letters, the details are in one of the letters. 

Centered horizontally and vertically, while not always within the written letter of the poorly-worded and poorly-illustrated ICL is how the USAF does it and how most would agree it looks best.
Thanks. I checked all the letters I could find (apparently didn't look hard enough)

C/SSgt Youngblood
SER-FL-169

USNASomeDay

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 13, 2010, 01:20:23 AM
I thought we had discussed that in person last week.

I think we may have. Altough once I checked 39-1 I wanted to ensure that I applied the correct standard before I had to take out the seam ripper.

C/SSgt Youngblood
SER-FL-169

spacecommand

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_01_25_CAPM_39_1_FC9519EC7AAB8.pdf

g. Embroidered Grade Insignia on BDU cap for senior members. Effective
20 November 2006, the Air Force authorized the wear of the ultramarine blue
embroidered grade insignia centered on the BDU hat by senior member officers. The
grade insignia may be worn immediately and a mandatory wear date of 1 May 2007 was
established.

Thrashed

Wing policy is different, so it can depend on where you are.  In PA, we can't even wear the BDU cap. We get a cool orange baseball cap.  8)

Save the triangle thingy

DC

Quote from: Thrash on December 13, 2010, 02:13:56 PM
Wing policy is different, so it can depend on where you are.  In PA, we can't even wear the BDU cap. We get a cool orange baseball cap.  8)
FLWG leaves that up to individual squadrons, and most opt to keep the standard BDU cover.

HGjunkie

In PA, we can't even wear the BDU cap. We get a cool orange baseball cap.  8)

Dude, that sucks...  8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

[smg id=326]  8)  Now there's a reason for polos..  ;)

Hawk200

PA wing is gonna find themselves some major trouble if someone decides to do something about it. Wings can't change or deny use of something in the publication, unless you issue such an item.

JArvey

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 14, 2010, 12:06:05 AM
PA wing is gonna find themselves some major trouble if someone decides to do something about it. Wings can't change or deny use of something in the publication, unless you issue such an item.

A squadron here in GA got permission from the WGHQ to wear black baseball hats, but they are required to wear BDU covers at a group or higher level activity and they have to wear the large metal ranks on the cover.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: JArvey on December 14, 2010, 12:16:05 AM

A squadron here in GA got permission from the WGHQ to wear black baseball hats, but they are required to wear BDU covers at a group or higher level activity and they have to wear the large metal ranks on the cover.

That's definitely not IAW 39-1/ICLs.

a2capt

That sounds like someones making up their own regulation of ignorance.

DakRadz

Quote from: JArvey on December 14, 2010, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 14, 2010, 12:06:05 AM

We have permission to wear blue baseball caps with our squadron patch with BDUs at my squadron, and that's as creative as it gets.

It is explicitly forbidden that we wear metal rank on the baseball caps, by the way- let alone BDU....

JoeTomasone

Quote from: DakRadz on December 14, 2010, 05:03:51 AM

It is explicitly forbidden that we wear metal rank on the baseball caps, by the way- let alone BDU....

The only cap that is authorized metal rank for senior members by current 39-1/ICLs is the blue BDU cap.  NO RANK is authorized for the baseball cap at all.

SarDragon

Negative, Ghostrider.

According to the 25 Jan '08 ICL:

Quoteg. Embroidered Grade Insignia on BDU cap for senior members. Effective 20 November 2006, the Air Force authorized the wear of the ultramarine blue embroidered grade insignia centered on the BDU hat by senior member officers. The grade insignia may be worn immediately and a mandatory wear date of 1 May 2007 was established.

Only the CAP baseball cap is mentioned in the basic manual.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: SarDragon on December 14, 2010, 05:59:35 PM
Negative, Ghostrider.

According to the 25 Jan '08 ICL:

Quoteg. Embroidered Grade Insignia on BDU cap for senior members. Effective 20 November 2006, the Air Force authorized the wear of the ultramarine blue embroidered grade insignia centered on the BDU hat by senior member officers. The grade insignia may be worn immediately and a mandatory wear date of 1 May 2007 was established.

Only the CAP baseball cap is mentioned in the basic manual.
Also according to the 25 Jan '08 ICL:

Quote(1) Grade Insignia on Blue BDU cap. Effective 31 August 2005, cadet and senior member officers who choose to wear the dark blue field uniform with the blue BDU cap may wear the ultramarine blue embroidered grade insignia centered ½ inch above the visor. Grade insignia is not authorized on any of the CAP baseball caps. The wear of grade insignia on the blue BDU cap is not authorized for cadets or senior members who do not hold an officer grade. Effective 29 June 2006, metal grade insignia was also approved for wear on the blue BDU cap.

SarDragon

Well, hush ma mouf!

It looks like I read one paragraph and copied the other paragraph. I sit corrected.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret