Squadron Patch and Wing Patch HELP!!!!!

Started by usna2015, November 21, 2010, 08:07:37 PM

HGjunkie

Maybe it's the fact we're the Auxiliary of an armed service branch of the US and that we should respect/support/stand behind our troops overseas.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 29, 2010, 03:15:34 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 03:09:14 AM
I don't think the flag should come off until every one comes home.

When who comes home?  I didn't know that our CAP uniforms were being used as a homage to deployed troops.  Perhaps we should have a POW/MIA patch too, then?

When was the patch implemented on the uniform? I thought it was shortly after the rest of the military did in keeping with tradition. Military only wears the flag during wartime.

^That is also a valid point

manfredvonrichthofen

When who comes home?  I didn't know that our CAP uniforms were being used as a homage to deployed troops.  Perhaps we should have a POW/MIA patch too, then?

Besides, if I were told to put a POW/MIA patch on my uniform to pay homage to those lost, [darn] skippy I would!

arajca

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 03:18:23 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 03:09:14 AM
I don't think the flag should come off until every one comes home.

When was the patch implemented on the uniform? I thought it was shortly after the rest of the military did in keeping with tradition. Military only wears the flag during wartime.

^That is also a valid point
1. The flag patch is the last remaining vestage from HWSRN. Not counting the CSU as it is going away relatively soon.
2. The AF does not wear the flag on their bdus/abus.
3. The flag has been worn on the flightsuit by all services and by CAP for a long time. Regardless of our 'war' or 'peace' status.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: arajca on November 29, 2010, 03:27:30 AM
3. The flag has been worn on the flightsuit by all services and by CAP for a long time. Regardless of our 'war' or 'peace' status.
Not on the BDU though. I wasn't aware that USAF didn't wear the flag. That is kind of odd.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 03:29:24 AM
Quote from: arajca on November 29, 2010, 03:27:30 AM
Not on the BDU though. I wasn't aware that USAF didn't wear the flag. That is kind of odd.

It's seems, to me, that the Army is the only branch that does, which would make them "odd." ;)

But seriously, I would think that someone, who simply by being a member of a military auxiliary, probably supported 'our troops' without having to sew the patch on.  There doesn't need to be a visual representation of everything we support on our uniforms and wearing or not wearing an American Flag doesn't make us any more or less patriotic.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

wacapgh

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 03:18:23 AM

When was the patch implemented on the uniform?

It was authorized on the fatigue jacket for the US Bicentennial back in 1976. Other than the right sleeve, no other location, size or color was specified. I found one at a police supply shop that would have made a Normandy drop vet nostalgic - something like 4"x6" in full color ;D

After 1976 you could not sew a new one on to a jacket but we were authorized to continue wearing existing flags until the jacket was replaced. Mine lasted until the OG-107's were retired.  ;)

manfredvonrichthofen

One curiosity is why does the flag on the right sleeve mean that you can't wear any patches on the sleeve with the flag?

Earhart1971

Quick question does anybody have a good "free" Squadron Patch or Patch creation software? I have tried Power Point, not working for the curved scroll lettering required. Any ideas on good easy to use software.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Earhart1971 on November 30, 2010, 12:18:28 AM
Quick question does anybody have a good "free" Squadron Patch or Patch creation software? I have tried Power Point, not working for the curved scroll lettering required. Any ideas on good easy to use software.

If you find a good outline of a patch that you want, you can do a good majority of it in programs as simple as paint. Otherwise draw it on paper and scan it.

davidsinn

Quote from: Earhart1971 on November 30, 2010, 12:18:28 AM

The Gimp. It's like photoshop except free.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Earhart1971

Not having a problem with "Art" part of the patch, its the Lettering of the scrolls.

SarDragon

I do all my type manipulation in Adobe Illustrator. I'm not sure what Gimp has in the way of that feature. In general, it's better to work with individual characters in the scroll, instead of messing with a word, or the entire string.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I've never heard of GIMP, even though I use Ubuntu. I just downloaded it and it looks really good. I am very pleased.

Eclipse

For most users the GIMP is more than enough, and the price is certainly right.

I don't think it has the same text manipulation abilities as PS, though.  As noted by SARDRAGON, you almost always
have to break the text up into multiple pieces, with no hard-fast rules as to the breaks.

In this case, as I recall, the "S", "G" and "22" were done as separate text layers, and while it is acceptable, even after a
LOT of mucking it still isn't perfect.  The Group side looks fine, but the ILLINOIS side always looks a bit off to me.  Sometimes
it is just a bad random concentration of letter shapes and no matter what you do it will never be perfect.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

All the lettering seems to flow really nicely with the scroll. That is not very common.