Plastic or Metal Ribbon Holders?

Started by vento, October 14, 2010, 07:50:39 PM

vento

For 3 or more rows of ribbons, in your opinion, which one is better? Plastic ribbon holder or Metal ribbon holder? Why?

Thanks for any input.  :)

HGjunkie

Plastic on the service coat, metal on the blues shirt.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 14, 2010, 07:51:08 PM

Just curious why you'd say plastic on the service coat.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

I prefer the plastic for all - the ribbons sit flatter.

The metal ones usually have a slight curve.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: DBlair on October 14, 2010, 07:56:52 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on October 14, 2010, 07:51:08 PM

Just curious why you'd say plastic on the service coat.
Actually, i'm gonna take back the plastic on the service coat. I ordered one from vanguard, and had nowhere else to put it. I recommend metal ones so long as they don't bend. The curve doesn't bother me. The ribbons I have fall off the plastic ones real easily for some reason...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

Plastic, because the ribbons can be snapped on right where you want them and don't get messed up from sliding them on a sharp metal rack.  They also flex and fit flusher, kinda like Ultra Thins do.

Downsides are that if you don't glue devices to the ribbons, they should be attached through the ribbon and slots in the mount.  Also, more places tend to stock metal V channel type.  Currently using a flat metal 3 ribbon rack because that is what UDC stocks.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

I like plastic ones. They seem lighter to me.

James Shaw

When I used the premade mounts I used the plastic ones. They just seemed to look better to me. If you have 3 rows of 3 they are nice and clean looking. I use a thumb tack to poke through the ribbon before putting any attachments on. The more ribbons you have the greater the curve on the metal ones. The metal ones also tear the ribbons when you slide them on (sometimes).

I started making my own version of the thin ribbons last year. I haven't had to update anything in a while so it has worked out pretty good.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

SarDragon

I've used the metal ones exclusively for years. I've killed too many plastic ones with seat belts to ever use them again.

I avoid the tearing problem by using a little fine emery paper to get rid of the sharp edges/corners. It's a little extra work, but worth the effort. I have holders that are older than any active cadet that work just fine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

I also find that snipping the tip of of the rail by about a 1/16th", makes the slide on a bit easier because the edges now have a smoother lead in, and no tearing, too.

IceNine

When I was using mounts I used the plastic.  I too agree that they present a smoother appearance. 

Trouble with them is that you have to install the attachments after the fact.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

flyboy53

Either one, the choice is your's. What ususally drives the choice in style is the number of ribbons and the number of devices. Either one has advantages and disadvantages. I ended up getting a metal uni-mount from the BX and haven't updated it in years because I don't wear everything.

I like the idea of the emory cloth/paper to soften the edges of the ribbon bars. Here's some more tips derived from years in the Air Force and hints from NCO Academies: First, I stopped gluing ribbon devices years ago because two things would ususally happen. Either you'd get too much glue on the device or ribbon and it would smear, or the device would fall off at the wrong time.

Second, I was taught to take as much care with the ribbon bar as the rest of the uniform. That means a nice-looking ribbon bar takes time to prepare. Instead of gluing devices, polish it with a metal polish until the tarnish is removed then coat it with clear nail polish. Use a razor knife to make a small incision into the ribbon, insert it through, flatten the prongs and then use a dab of glue at that point in the back to secure the device and check any ribbon fraying. Then, probably the most controversial, spray the ribbon bar with Scotch Guard for these reasons; it will block dirt and protect the ribbons if they get wet. Scotch Guard is invisible and doesn't change the character of the ribbons. You can't tell it's there.

Those hints, by the way, came from a number of veteran NCOs including an old chief master sergeant who used to spend between $80 and $100 on his bar and got tired of having to use white parade gloves to mount his ribbons all of the time. I've found that it has saved me enough money that I haven't changed the ribbons on my dress jacket in years....but that's also because I don't wear everything. What I do wear, however, cost about $75 to prepare the last time and includes one foreign ribbon that had to be purchased through the United Kingdom.

vento