Flight Suit Question

Started by 2d Lt Lee Ashley, April 03, 2010, 01:32:27 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 03, 2010, 04:26:25 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 03, 2010, 08:10:45 AMIsn't the ASNP the embroidered version that we aren't allowed to wear?
Not in the context that I know it. The Air Force referred to it as such when they went to it on BDUs some years ago. Only a leather one was allowed on BDUs.

OK, I sit corrected.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fuzzy

USAF wore leather sytle name patches on the BDU? That must have looked horrible.

I tried to google it but does anybody have a picture of such animal?
C/Capt Semko

FARRIER

Quote from: Fuzzy on April 04, 2010, 12:45:54 AM
USAF wore leather sytle name patches on the BDU? That must have looked horrible.

It actually gave the uniform a clean look.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FARRIER on April 04, 2010, 12:59:58 AM

I remember it.  It was around the same era as the Tony McPeak uniform.

It did give the uniform a clean look, and it was designed to lessen wear on the uniform from sewing insignia on, but eventually I think it was scrapped because of officer recognition.  When approaching, you couldn't see the rank until you were close enough to read the nameplate.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little at the memory. CLEAN???????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

Different strokes for different folks! :D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JayT

It was just the BDU's with a leather nameplate over the left pocket. If you look at a lot of pictures of Airmen from the first gulf war you'll see it.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

Quote from: cap235629 on April 04, 2010, 01:17:45 AM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little at the memory. CLEAN???????

Yeah, clean. Only thing attached to the BDU blouse was that 3" x 5" black leather name tag.

Real common during the First Gulf War when we were trying to get everybody into the Desert Cammo Uniforms as quick as possible.

This only applied to the Air Force.

cap235629

Quote from: PHall on April 04, 2010, 02:52:15 AM

Yes and us Army guys were glad to let them have it.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

PHall

Quote from: cap235629 on April 04, 2010, 03:23:55 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 04, 2010, 02:52:15 AM

Yes and us Army guys were glad to let them have it.....

Wasn't our choice. But our ground guys were pretty happy to get out of those Woodland BDU's though.
To those of us who wore flight suits it was just another day in the fun zone.

Eclipse

I've seen photos, but can't find anything now - the nearest thing I can find is Navy DCU's with a name badge area.

"That Others May Zoom"

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on April 04, 2010, 01:16:03 AM

It did give the uniform a clean look, and it was designed to lessen wear on the uniform from sewing insignia on, but eventually I think it was scrapped because of officer recognition.  When approaching, you couldn't see the rank until you were close enough to read the nameplate.
Actually it was the SNCO's who were pissed off the most.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2010, 04:36:54 AM

Okay Pat, I'll bite. Why would the SNCO's be upset? Amn Snuffie salute them by accident or something?

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on April 04, 2010, 05:03:19 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2010, 04:36:54 AM

Okay Pat, I'll bite. Why would the SNCO's be upset? Amn Snuffie salute them by accident or something?
They were annoyed about losing their big stripes. Some people would call it compensation issues.

And it was a 2"x4" nametag, not a 3"x5" inch one. It's the exact same size as the one on the flightsuit.

Initially, any black leather nametag could be worn. It later changed to a non-glossy leather with stitching around the border. I got away with one of the "patent" leather ones for several months, usually with "Well, I'm gonna order some today after work". Truth was, I kept forgetting to do so.

The officer thing was a bit of an issue, and the biggest reason was that many officers were removing the rank on their headgear. Don't know why they would, but it was a fairly common problem. Had more than a few that challenged me on failure to salute, and I'd look at their hat and ask where their rank was. The usual response was "We don't wear hat rank with this leather nametag." I would usually reply "Sir (or Ma'am), the leather nameplate change only addresses insignia worn on the BDU shirt. The message clearly states that no other parts of the uniform are affected."

I remember a later message that circulated stating that rank was still required on headgear for officers, but it was kind of moot by that point, as all rank insignia came back a few months later.

PHall

I would be perfectally happy to go back to the ASNP on BDU's/ABU's/BBDU's/whatever.
Minimal sewing and it is distinctive. And minimal investment in Vanguard's profit pool. >:D

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on April 04, 2010, 05:57:14 PM
I would be perfectally happy to go back to the ASNP on BDU's/ABU's/BBDU's/whatever.
Minimal sewing and it is distinctive. And minimal investment in Vanguard's profit pool. >:D
I hear that. I do know of one unit where the seniors wore them that way. Yeah, I know, not legal, but they did it. Of course, they also got in trouble for wearing subdued grade insignia on headgear.

Have you ever noticed that if you did it early and it was adopted, it's setting a trend; but if it's not adopted, you're a rule breaking black sheep?

MSgt Van

No patches, just the leather name tag. Simple. I wore this sometime around '88. It didn't last long.

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2010, 07:14:14 PM
Quote from: PHall on April 03, 2010, 07:07:06 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2010, 06:50:04 PM
As-in they have officially sponsored Regional Conferences, so NHQ is fully aware of their existence.

And the Hock Shop used to advertise in the CAP News too...

Not relevant - that was during a time before CAP had an exclusive contract with an outside company which is contractually bound to enforce that exclusivity.

....which sorta renders your earlier post "not relevant" too...

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2010, 06:42:30 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 03, 2010, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on April 03, 2010, 06:05:59 PM
Quote from: PHall on April 03, 2010, 06:01:53 PMBut will they do CAP badges?
They do. Check the site for the options available.

NO!  BAD!  BAD!  BAD!  Now I feel a C&D letter coming.  BAD!

They are an official CAP sponsor, as has been discussed here before.
A word to the wise, folks: if you have a favorite non-Vanguard supplier of CAP stuff, don't post their name/website out in the open (and don't tell Eclipse, either  ;D ). They WILL get a C&D letter from NHQ.

Exclusive means exclusive.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSgt Van on April 05, 2010, 12:46:10 AM

No patches, just the leather name tag. Simple. I wore this sometime around '88. It didn't last long.

That long ago?  I remember seeing them in the early to mid '90s... ???

I would be all for CAP adopting this for both the BDU and BBDU.  It's distinctive, looks good, and adheres to the K.I.S.S. philosophy.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011