Main Menu

2009 National Board Agenda

Started by Chappie, August 15, 2009, 05:03:53 PM

Strick

maybe they are following the modle of the US RANGER CORPS. :clap: :clap:

It will end up being that the General will have 52,000 Lt. Col. under his or her command
[darn]atio memoriae

FW

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 20, 2009, 05:52:24 PM
If its so old what is the purpose of keeping it on the agenda?  A vote takes just as long as a motion to table it...

The times were a bit "touchy" back then.  White papers, FBI and OSI investigations..... not the best time to broach the supject of more stars in the heavens.  The 10 year postponement was actually "out of order" according to procedure however, it is what it is and, now it's back. 

I'm going to amend the motion so the next NFO gets 4 stars  ;D >:D (I'm kidding).  My true belief is the motion will die for a lack of a second or, if none needed, will be witdrawn by the chair.

I hope you guys are reviewing the rest of the agenda with such zeal.... ;)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: FWI hope you guys are reviewing the rest of the agenda with such zeal.... ;)

I'm sure we are.  Our CAC is almost done writing their opinions on the CP related items to pass along to the Wing CC, I've made my position known to him as well.  I was just more interested to know when I'd get my star... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

heliodoc

It can be hard to read that agenda with great zeal because of the fact that some of these things get rehashed every year and every other year.

Such as General Stars

Sometimes scanning is less painless, and then getting on this forum is more amusing to get the < 52,000 different ideas on what uniform to wear

So reading the agenda, I can take it or leave because apparently it will be delivered late, in regs that are clearly unclear or some one on CAPTALK will tell you its so and/ or ICL's that seem never to expire. Same subjects yet get rehashed year after year on "new agendas" every year

FW

"the beat goes on.....  the beat goes on....."

I love that Sonny and Cher song.... ;D

Spike

For those that read the document, props to you!  We have done more reading than most Senators and Representatives do with a new bill they have to vote on!  So, think about that.........

W5SMP

Quote from: Spike on August 20, 2009, 10:07:43 PM
For those that read the document, props to you!  We have done more reading than most Senators and Representatives do with a new bill they have to vote on!  So, think about that.........
Ouch. Watch it....
Maj. Steven Polunsky, CAP (Honorary)
Austin, Texas

Legislative Squadron, Texas Wing
SWR-TX-999

RiverAux

A new version of the agenda seems to be out: http://www.natcapwg.cap.gov/abovethecapital/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Agenda-Sep-09-Final.pdf

There is at least one major change in regard to Agenda Item 3 relating to the proposal for election of Wing Commanders, etc. 

It has now been changed to:
Quoteforce to research and propose options for garnering our Executive Officers in CAP. The
"Executive Officer Selection/Election Task Force" will report all progress back to each
NEC, NB, and BoG meeting, providing final recommendations at the 2011 Winter
National Board meeting. The Task Force should be comprised of a minimum of the
following personnel:
Chairman National Chief of Staff
National Legal Officer
National Human Resources
National Personnel & Member Actions
One National Executive Committee Member – Region Commander
One National Board Member – Wing Commander
One Squadron Commander – Level 4 – Level 5 Qualified
B. That the National Board direct the NHQ staff and Volunteer staff to write/update
detailed job descriptions and develop qualifications and selection process of positions
for the NEC members and Region and Wing Commanders.

So, a committee may look at the issue.  Probably for the better since the earlier proposal had some problems even if it was going in the right direction (IMHO).

dogboy

Agenda item 5 is a laugh. Of course test security must prohibit electronic copying devices. The fact that there has not been a scandal yet doesn't mean that with changing technology, one shouldn't prepare to avoid one in the future.

National staff objects to this item, in part, because individual CAP units do "not have the resources to provide the individual a nonprogrammable handheld calculator."

I had the same problem in the statistics class I teach. I only allow a five-function, non-programmable calculator to be used during exams. A programmable calculator can both bring in information and be used to carry out information.

A problem was that most students had only a programmable calculator. The solution by me: I went to the 99 Cent store and bought 25 five-function calculators for $25 for use during tests. That was a tough one.

Eclipse

Quote from: dogboy on August 25, 2009, 09:51:23 PM
Agenda item 5 is a laugh. Of course test security must prohibit electronic copying devices. The fact that there has not been a scandal yet doesn't mean that with changing technology, one shouldn't prepare to avoid one in the future.

To anyone listening - "Javascript that disables right-click" is not "test security". 

If you can display it on the screen, especially in a browser, its going to be very hard to block copying.
Which is why I am strongly against unproctored online cadet testing.

"That Others May Zoom"

dogboy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2009, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: dogboy on August 25, 2009, 09:51:23 PM

To anyone listening - "Javascript that disables right-click" is not "test security". 

If you can display it on the screen, especially in a browser, its going to be very hard to block copying.
Which is why I am strongly against unproctored online cadet testing.

I think we can assume that there's not a Cadet out there that doesn't know how to disable Javascript. This allows the copying of materials supposedly protected by the disabled Javascript right click.

flyguync

So to get back to the question is anyone going to post the agenda????

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Looks like Agenda item 3 was changed quite a bit.....

Spike

^ They should have just removed it all together.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: FW on August 28, 2009, 03:34:33 PM

Anyone else spot any changes noteworthy enough to cause the need to re-read the applicable agenda item?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

lordmonar

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 28, 2009, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: FW on August 28, 2009, 03:34:33 PM

Anyone else spot any changes noteworthy enough to cause the need to re-read the applicable agenda item?

No.  The only major change was to change the proposal of electing wing and regional commanders to a proposal to appoint a committee to look into the idea.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

Actually, if the agenda item passes, the committee will look into all aspects of "garnering our executive officer positions" in CAP.  We're talking about the whole selection process now.... qualifications, how selected, etc.  It is also interesting to note... the committee would finish it's report to the NB by the winter 2011 meeting.  This would give the BOG time to change the bylaws and necessary regulations before the next National Commander election. 

What bothers me about this agenda item is the committee will be filled with members who may have a pre made agenda dictated by the appointing authority.   I would hope, the committee, if formed, will be objective and have no such presumptions before deliberations.

lordmonar

I hope they just nix the whole idea.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP