Main Menu

NHQ's new Safety Policy

Started by brasda91, February 19, 2008, 01:56:15 AM

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on February 27, 2008, 01:40:25 AM
get every member to follow this instruction.

50,000+ emails in one month would be interesting to see them sort it out. >:D

Actually, if they made it a requirement, they'd quickly discover that we really don't have 50,000 active members.  Heh.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Dutchboy

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 20, 2008, 07:33:23 PM
I think that we all agree that safety is a concern, but having to fill out a CAPF 78 over a scratch is a bit too far though.  YMMV
Just curious, how many squadrons actually fill out a Form 78 for a scratch?

Gunner C

Quote from: messofficer on March 21, 2008, 03:30:05 AM
I think that we all agree that safety is a concern, but having to fill out a CAPF 78 over a scratch is a bit too far though.  YMMV
I would think that the Form 78 is a poor indicator of a safety program.  When I got to a new squadron, the SOP was to pass it around for everyone to sign.  There was no safety briefing, just ink.  I became the next CC and put a stop to it.

Most of these safety programs are, unfortunately only safety twinkies - they taste good, you feel something in your stomach, but there's no nutritional value.  Until CAP returns to a professional state with actual standards, we're going to have problems.  And no twinkie, unfortunately, is going to help (reciting the safety pledge and the like every week just puts more CO2 in the atmosphere).

GC

SJFedor

Quote from: Gunner C on March 21, 2008, 04:00:32 AM
I would think that the Form 78 is a poor indicator of a safety program.  When I got to a new squadron, the SOP was to pass it around for everyone to sign.  There was no safety briefing, just ink.  I became the next CC and put a stop to it.

Most of these safety programs are, unfortunately only safety twinkies - they taste good, you feel something in your stomach, but there's no nutritional value.  Until CAP returns to a professional state with actual standards, we're going to have problems.  And no twinkie, unfortunately, is going to help (reciting the safety pledge and the like every week just puts more CO2 in the atmosphere).

GC

Uhm...CAP Form 78 = Safety Mishap Notification/Investigation Form. Why was it getting passed around for everyone to sign?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SJFedor on March 21, 2008, 05:33:04 AM

GC

Uhm...CAP Form 78 = Safety Mishap Notification/Investigation Form. Why was it getting passed around for everyone to sign?

Brain damage from so many safety briefings... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Gunner C

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 21, 2008, 11:36:26 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on March 21, 2008, 05:33:04 AM

GC

Brain damage from so many safety briefings... >:D

Dain brammage bad.

brasda91

For our Safety class, I try to pick a topic that is relevant to the season.  I produce an attendance roster with the instructors name, date and topic and that goes into our "safety class" file.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011