Deer & Cessna make poor stew

Started by Live2Learn, October 01, 2018, 03:29:13 PM

Live2Learn

No mention in the preliminary accident report of how the deer fared in the accident with the CAP 172 in Wisconsin.    Darn critters!  We can hope they'd "look both ways" but 'tain't likely.

This general topic might be a good 5 minute discussion for pilots & drivers.  "I remember when [——-]" etc. sometimes is a good way to share avoidance stories.

A discussion starter might be this (NOT!! CAP) accident from in this video posted 3+ years ago, back in May 2015.   Stew meat.  And a big repair bill.  :o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EiawS8Bf06E

Here's what the pilot of that C182 had to say:

Published on May 18, 2015
It was a nice day...  Then this.   We randomly decided to video record the landing since we were landing at our friends airstrip.

Deer could not be seen during our 200-300' AGL flyover.

We enjoyed some deer meat the next day.

Damage:

The deer impacted the tip of the prop (no visible damage, but a required engine teardown nonetheless).
A solid 3" deep dent aft of the cowling bending two formers.
Deer impacted wing strut, causing it's body to spin violently and impact several times across the door and aft of the door, creating additional dents along those areas.
Repair cost was approx $36,000 on the Cessna 182[\i]

========v==v==v=====

Date:   17-SEP-18
Time:   20:00:00Z
Regis#:   N910CP
Aircraft Make:   CESSNA
Aircraft Model:   172S
Event Type:   ACCIDENT
Highest Injury:   NONE
Aircraft Missing:   No
Damage:   SUBSTANTIAL
State:   WISCONSIN
DESCRIPTION
Description:   STRUCK A DEER

No reported injuries.

====v=v=v=v======

Serial Number   172S8332   Status   Valid
Manufacturer Name   CESSNA   Certificate Issue Date   02/02/2000
Model   172S   Expiration Date   07/31/2019
Type Aircraft   Fixed Wing Single-Engine   Type Engine   Reciprocating
Pending Number Change   None   Dealer   No

Date Change Authorized   None   Mode S Code (base 8 / oct)   53113353
MFR Year   1999   Mode S Code (base 16 / hex)   AC96EB
Type Registration   Corporation   Fractional Owner   NO
Registered Owner
Name   CIVIL AIR PATROL INC
Street   105 S HANSELL ST

City   MAXWELL AFB   State   ALABAMA
County   MONTGOMERY   Zip Code   36112-6332
Country   UNITED STATES
Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer   LYCOMING   Classification   Standard
Engine Model   O&VO-360 SER   Category   Normal
Utility
A/W Date   12/09/1999   Exception Code   No

NIN

CAP friend had a Grumman Tiger. On landing one day a deer bolted out of the treeline and straight into the side of the aircraft.

Not cheap, but cheaper than hitting the prop.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Wait.  Was this a CAP flight, or not?

If so, was this a charted field?

Are grass operations till a Wing decision as they were years ago?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

LSThiker

Quote from: etodd on October 01, 2018, 07:00:32 PM

All of your questions will be answered on Auxbeacon, I am sure.  :angel:  >:D

etodd

Quote from: LSThiker on October 01, 2018, 07:07:40 PM

All of your questions will be answered on Auxbeacon, I am sure.  :angel:  >:D

I don't ever go there. Looked once a couple years ago and never went back.  LOL

NIN

Considering it took me, a non-pilot, exactly 12 seconds to determine that both runways at Stevens Point, WI are asphalt....

<shaking my head>

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

coudano

on my very first cadet orientation ride, right after taking off we flew right over a slew of deer standing in a tree line...  immediately i wondered if it was legal to shoot deer from an airplane (nevermind how difficult that shot would have been, when you're 13 you don't worry about such details)

SarDragon

2015 - no. 2018 - apparently yes.

QuoteIf so, was this a charted field?

If you think deer incidents are solely the realm of grass strips, you are mistaken. When I was in the Navy, we frequently used to have to chase wildlife off the runways and taxiways, particularly at night. The resident moose population at Brunswick, Maine was a constant problem at certain times of the year. One olde guy made the follow-me truck look small.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

chuckmilam

When flying into some northern Wisconsin airfields, they will advise you to buzz the runway to check for and clear any deer out, and you can also call the FBO to send a truck out to clear the runway for you as well.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on October 01, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
Considering it took me, a non-pilot, exactly 12 seconds to determine that both runways at Stevens Point, WI are asphalt....

<shaking my head>

Well the video said "a friends field", so it sure did not sound like it was a charted one, and is obviously a grass strip if you watched the video.  Could have been in the suburbs of Stephens Point. There are lots of "fields" in my area that are not on the charts. Used by crop dusters,, trike fliers, etc.    LOL

But yes, I didn't realize until after posting that there are two separate events in the OP. Not the same one.

And good grief yes , at my Class D airport, we see deer, dogs and more. Tall fencing isn't always enough.

SarDragon

Well, I will admit to not having watching the video, So I will take that hit. I have now watched it. Scary.

It reminds me of two things - my first six hours were in a tail-dragger at the grass strip behind my instructor's house in Maine, and one night driving in Michigan last year when an almost identical group of small deer ran out onto the road. Fortunately, there was no contact.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

Fwiw, it's not just dogs, deer, and moose on runways.  Some paved runways (like the muni at Enterprise, OR) get a lot of use by nearby residents who, on windy days, like the wind at their backs as the stroll down the centerline... often in packs with their dogs.  :o

PHall

And lets not forget the group that makes the MOST runway incursions, other pilots!

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on October 03, 2018, 04:05:11 PM
And lets not forget the group that makes the MOST runway incursions, other pilots!

And even worse, people.