CPPT and other organizations

Started by jimmydeanno, July 20, 2007, 07:51:10 PM

jimmydeanno

Alright, not sure if this is the right place because it doesn't really relate to CP but in some ways it does.

I recently inquired about JROTC's official policy regarding hazing and other items such as physical training as punishment.  I looked through the cadet guides and other items I could find online, but as we don't have any JROTC units remotely close to me, finding the appropriate source isn't going so well.

CAP obviously has a clearly stated policy regarding this and it is made as public as possible-without going so far as to publish it in the NY Times.

The response I got from the JROTC "ask a question" linky on their website just stated, "this should be addressed with the local unit commander."

Does anyone know why we go out of our way to let people know our policies regarding this and other organizations make it really difficult to find or don't have any policies of this nature?

I am just interested in comparing the two organizations and their stances on that topic - just interest, not bad experiences.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Good question.  However, since JROTC is extremely limited in the number of adults dealing with cadets I suspect this isn't much of an issue.  CAP is constantly bringing in many new adults that work with cadets so training is a bigger deal. 

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on July 20, 2007, 09:43:40 PM
Good question.  However, since JROTC is extremely limited in the number of adults dealing with cadets I suspect this isn't much of an issue.  CAP is constantly bringing in many new adults that work with cadets so training is a bigger deal. 

Here's a good question, why doesn't BSA require this sort of training or even background checks as they have lots of different adults dealing with very young children.

My guess for why we make it so well known is that CAP wants everyone to know that when they leave kids with us they'll be safe. Why no one else does it, who knows.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

See the BSA Youth Protection web page and the links to various procedures they use: http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=mc&c=fs.  They do have required training. 

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: RiverAux on July 20, 2007, 09:58:53 PM
See the BSA Youth Protection web page and the links to various procedures they use: http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=mc&c=fs.  They do have required training. 

Not only that, if I remember correctly CAP's first efforts at such training incorporated BSA videos.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

star1151

Quote from: jeders on July 20, 2007, 09:47:13 PM
Here's a good question, why doesn't BSA require this sort of training or even background checks as they have lots of different adults dealing with very young children.

Don't know about the BSA, but the GSUSA made it very clear when I was looking to volunteer that I'd have to have a background check and and if I wanted to do overnight camps, I'd have to do CPPT type training, can't remember what they called it.  I remember thinking it was strange that I only needed that training for overnight camping and not any other kind of interaction with children.   

It was also slightly annoying that I'd have to sit in class to do it...CPPT was a whole lot quicker and easier.

DrDave

Yes, as I understand it, our CPPT is originally based on the BSA model.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: DrDave on July 21, 2007, 02:53:14 AM
Yes, as I understand it, our CPPT is originally based on the BSA model.

Dr. Dave

My sister was on NER staff and had a copy of a BSA training video for review shortly before the initial CPPT was rolled out. She's been gone since late '94, so it;s been a while.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Viper QA

I have been a CAP member since before CPPT came about. The original CPPT program was indeed modeled after the BSA program & even used some BSA videos & material. CAP started the CPPT program because of issues that other youth organizations were having. CAP used what was out there at the time to fill the square, but as we all know NHQ eventually developed their own program. It initially came about as a CYA for CAP in the event of a lawsuit. The program has improved significantly since it's inception.
J.J. Jones
NY-135

RAZOR

If the CPPT program as you say has improved then how did the SER Commander Jim Rushing get away with not reporting Two documented cases of child ABUSE while he was Wing Commander that was reported to him as well as the then SER Commander Col Sharkey? ???