Former Mil
18 (26.1%)
Other
13 (18.8%)
ES
30 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

RogueLeader

I joined CAP mainly because I wanted to serve for the US, but couldn't due to medical reasons.  Got me curious as to why you others did too.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

I joined because I wanted to serve my community in an unique way...CAP fit the bill the best in what I was looking for.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

floridacyclist

I was a cadet and like many other former cadets, re-joined when my oldest son hit 12. He just left home and my youngest (of 4) just finished his first encampment.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

RiverAux

I'm not sure I agree with your categories.  The last two before other aren't really reasons for joining CAP.  I would add Emergency Services to the list of reasons.

RogueLeader

Opps, accidentally  hit reset. . . . :o
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

I joined CAP as a cadet when I was 12 years old.  All I remember is wanting to fly in a Cessna or C-130 and wear a cool looking uniform.  It wasn't until I transferred squadrons 8 months later that I began to broaden my horizons. 

Looking back, I'm glad I joined CAP.  There are things I did in my 8 years as a cadet that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.  I was thinking about re-joining as an officer, but I think the Coast Guard Auxiliary would be a better choice for me. 

I'm medically disqualified from the military, but want to serve my country in a capacity that involves being in an organization that has a good, solid relationship with the military (and has good leaders).  Coast Guard Auxiliarists use mostly the same manuals as their active duty/reserve counterparts, can participate in Color Guard and Honor Guard, and can earn Coast Guard awards.  How cool is that?!?

I may become a CAP officer someday, but I will definitely become a Coast Guard Auxiliarist.  My cadet training will help in this venue.  I'm grateful for what CAP has allowed me to do and the impact it has had on my life.     

SARMedTech

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 17, 2007, 03:48:02 AM
I joined CAP mainly because I wanted to serve for the US, but couldn't due to medical reasons.  Got me curious as to why you others did too.

Lt. Seng-

Like you, I wanted to serve my country. Like you I also had medical reasons, though they probably could have been waived through MEPS. But I also found out that at age 33, most of the military considers me too old. I was passionate about joining the USCG in either a medical capacity of some kind (there was no medical billet in my reserve area) or as a reserve PSS. They were also having trouble finding me a reserve PSS billet in my area (the Great Lakes Region) and when I said I wasnt interested in some of the other billets they offered me, then the twice daily phone calls from the CPO recruiter stopped. I was very dissappointed. I looked into the USCG AUX but found that they really didnt have what I was looking for and when I found that CAP had ES, I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Recently, I finally felt as though I had been accepted into my country's service when I paid a visit to Scott AFB, showed my ID card, was asked by the 20 year old guard what my business on post was. I told him I had some items I wanted to purchase and to meet some of my active duty brothers and sisters. I was wearing my blue and whites. THough I am still a SMWOG, the gate guard through me a sharp salute and said "Welcome to Scott Air Force Base, Sir. Please enjoy your stay and let me know if I can assist you in any way" which I think was a general expression of respect and the fact that he could tell I was older than he was. It made me feel good and part of the family. I had several airman stop me and ask about my EMT insignia, about EMS in general, met one of their health services folks and talked shop, was bought lunch by a Sergeant who had been assigned to show me around and had an altogether pleasant and fulfilling day, including paying a visit to the men and women of the 375th Medical Group and getting to play with some of their wonderful new gadgets. I was also given a USAF PT grey t-shirt as a gift and the Sergeant presented me with a lovely enameled coin to welcome me to the USAFAUX. It really could not have been a more positive experience. I had a disposable camera in my brief case and was allowed to get my photo taken with the gate guards and some airman, Sgts and Aerospace Medical Folks and those are some items from the beginning of my CAP career that I will always cherish. The challenge coin is already in a frame on my wall. I guess that tempers a little bit of the feeling that sometimes we get that they dont care for us very much. Though I had no grade, I was treated as a visiting officer and on the way out was given a USAF ball cap. It took me back to my squadron with a feeling that they know who we are, and care and that they feel the same sense of family with us that we feel with them. I know I got off topic here, but thanks for letting me share.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Skyray

I did eight years of active duty and seven years of reserve, and the military taught me a lot of skills that were going to waste.  I don't like to waste nothing, particularly my flying skill, and I hit a persuasive CAP recruiter who got me to join.  I really joined to fly, but after I did, the powers that be in my neighborhood found out that I was qualified as a Combat Information Center Director, and I spent two years at various positions on mission staff before they let me fly missions.  Well, not let me fly, it is just that I always had a staff job that was too important to leave vacant.  I had Lieutenant Colonels and Majors working for me on staff while I was a slick sleeve, so I had an early introduction to the lack of meaning of rank among seniors.  After nine months as a slick sleeve I ran into a former wing commander whom I knew from civilian life, and he inquired whether I had been an officer in the service.  I informed him that I had, but the paperwork seemed to be taking a while to catch up to me.  Three weeks later I was promoted to Major.  I then proceeded to blast through the five levels of senior training because it was embarrassing to have rank above my training qualification.  My wing, Florida, was in a severe state of flux at the time, with two fairly well defined factions.  I tried to maintain distance from both of them, but was not totally successful.  In 1992 I attended National Staff College, and it was a very nostalgic occasion for me, the room that I was billeted in had exactly the same floor plan as the room in the BOQ in which I was quartered as a butter bar at MCAS Cherry Point.  I met a number of the National players like T.J. Fortune from Mississippi, Adele Sparks from Tennessee,  Dennis Manzanares from New Mexico and too many others to recall. I realized that this was a dynamite organization above and beyond the petty politics I was seeing in Florida.  I went to the Tennessee Wing conference in 1988 to qualify for my second wing conference, and Dennis Sparks, Tennessee Wing Commander (Adele's husband) told me that he had been in Florida twenty years before, and it has always been like this.  Oh well, maybe I will move back to Mississippi and rejoin.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

davedove

I wanted to give some volunteer time.  After looking around, I decided CAP might be a good fit.  I have been around the military all my career (first active duty then civilian), so CAP's military style environment was familiar to me, without being the military (I'm too old and out of shape for that).  Plus, I was attracted to CAP's ES mission and thought I could help out that way.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Capt M. Sherrod

I was looking to get involved with Aerospace Education and helping the cadets to become our leaders of tomorrow.  I was very interested in helping with the Model Rocketry program.  Of course, I see AE and CP as two parts of the program that truly go hand in hand.  You can't do one without the other.  I also got involved in the hope of being able to dust off my Private ASEL Certificate.  Hasn't happened yet, but I love working with my cadets.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

KFreeman

Joined as Cadet in December 1946. Was already in JROTC at WC Striplin HS in Ft. Worth, Tx. Wanted to be in the (then) Army Air Corps in the worst way.

Joined the USAF in February 1949. Best decision I ever made.

Returned to CAP in 1960 in Palm Beach Senior Sqdn. after USAF service.

Assigned SER-001 now but will be going to some ALWG or MSWG unit soon.

Also a LTC in ALSDF as G-6 (comms) in 3rd Bde.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

Flying Pig

I joined CAP in 1986.  My dad was the Sq. Chaplain for Sq. 45 at March AFB in Riverside Ca.  I cant remember a time when I didnt want to join the military.  Of course, at age 12, I wanted the uniform.  I then got into the drill team and was able to go to NCC a few times.  I loved the comraderie mostly and the discipline. 
I joined the Marines right after High School and had a 5 year break in CAP.  After I got out, I went back to CAP as a SM.  I wanted to work with cadets, and was fortunate enough to end up as the Dep Comm for Cadets at the Sq I had grown up in.  After about 5 years, I moved because of my job, and ended up in Fresno.  Then, next thing I knew, It had been 3 years since I had been active.  In that time I had earned my Commercial-Inst rating, and made it into the Sheriffs Aviation Unit.  Now I am back in CAP working towards Mission Pilot status, and taking my 9 year old son to CAP with me.........and then the cycle starts all over!

star1151

I joined because no other volunteer organization would take someone who has a full time job and travels on short notice.

jimmydeanno

I joined CAP in 1997 as a cadet.  A friend of mine came up to me one day in school and asked me what I did over the weekend.  He got the, "eh, mowed the lawn, watched some tv, you?"

He then told me about how he went flying with the local ANG unit in a KC-135.  "Yeah right," I said.  He then showed me the pictures.  So, I went with him to the next meeting and they did a bunch of cool stuff.

Since then, I've been doing CAP aproximately 30+ hours a week, as a cadet, working with cadets since my transition.  Not really sure what I like about it or the real reason that keeps me here, but for some reason I'm addicted.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JRESO

I found out about CAP through some teens at a church youth summer camp. After asking them a few questions, I did some research on-line to learn more about CAP. Since I am in the ES field professionally, specifically Fire and EMS, I was immediately drawn to the possibility of volunteering in the ES portion. Since I also volunteer as a youth leader, the cadet program appealed to me as well. The thought of flying was just icing on the cake. But if I had to pick one reason, it would have to be ES. So now I get to be a part of cadet programs by training them in ES and I get to fly as part of the aircrew during missions!

Ford73Diesel

I joined when I was 13 originally for ES type stuff. Interesting today I have no intrest in the ES portion of CAP but love what the cadet program has to offer.

flyguy06

I joined CAP as a Cadet because I wanted to know everything there was to know about the military. Especially the Air Force sense my goal at the time was to be a USAF pilot. That didint happen due to my vision, but I went into the Army. I still had a love for aviation and stayed in.

I do it now because I want to encourage young people to get into aviation careers, especially military aviation careers. I want to introduce aviation in my community.

Kerrbie

Truthfully I didn't want to join.  An old friend would not stop bugging me and so finally I went along for a meeting. I met some knew friends and thought ES was really cool. So I joined. No i love it even more.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

wingnut

I was lied too, I thought I was joining TEAM AMERICA;WORLD POLICE ::) >:D

FARRIER

Joined at age 15, once in the fold, never thought of quitting, been having too much fun since then.  :)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Viper QA

I joined CAP in 1987 at the age of 13. I was a cadet until I joined the active USAF, leaving as a C/Maj.

I joined CAP because I loved the USAF & always wanted to be in the "suit." That goes back to my father taking me to my first airshow at 5 & then taking me to work with him on the weekends when I turned 10. He was fulltime ANG & worked as an A-10 weapons loader at the time.

I have been a member of CAP ever since. I never let my membership lapse, but I was in-active for about 5 years while I was in the USAF. I became active again after separating from active duty, moving back to my home town, & joining the ANG. Obviously, I am now a senior member & I hope to be a CAP member for many years to come.
J.J. Jones
NY-135

AlphaSigOU

I first joined CAP as a cadet in December 1977 in Georgia Wing. Transferred to Florida Wing when my family moved to South Florida in 1979. Progressed through the cadet ranks, topping off at C/Major before an abortive year of college and enlistment in the Air Force. The squadron commander of the CAP overseas squadron just so happened to be a fellow member of the AD squadron and I rejoined CAP as a senior member, briefly serving as a TFO before earning 1st Lt at 21.

Got out of the AF, transferred to National Capital Wing. Eventually let my membership lapse and I was on 'hiatus' for 17 years before rejoining in 2005. Like most former cadets, you can never get CAP out of the system...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

freeflight

To help people out of bad situations.

SARMedTech

"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

alamrcn

Does anyone continue to stay in the program for the same reason they joined years before? Probably not. So, what happens when you "out grow" the original reason for joining and then have trouble finding another niche in the program?

That's where I'm at now.

Joined as a cadet with a dream of military service. Later, the military said they didn't want me because I have dry skin (psoriasis) and can't go in. Civil Air Patrol filled that hole while I was still younger. Changed to senior at 18 to support the cadet program - I know, big mistake. Was met with so much backlash by the older seniors, I had to change units.

Continued to search for "military-ness" in the program through ES, and was real gung-ho with Ground Team training for several years - I was a real grunt!
Now almost two decades later, all the "hoo-ah" of training to save lives and aid the injured has dwindled and just isn't fullfilling anymore.

I've been in Civil Air Patrol for longer than I have not, and it's frustrating to be falling out of love with the program that essentially molded me during my trip from teeny-bopper to thirty-something father.

I've changed and the program has changed... and it hurts to not be able to find what you joined for anymore.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

capchiro

Ace, that is the beauty of the program.  You have outgrown the adrenalin ES ground team gung ho phase and now have the golden opportunity to put your expertise and experience to use to support others that are still in the phases you used to be in.  It is now your turn to support others as they supported you during your phase.   Did you ever think about the members doing the paper work and providing the wherewithall for your training and exercises?? Mostly others that had outgrown the adrenalin need or didn't have it in the first place provided so much of it.  Now, you need to help others to experience what you have experienced.  You need to mature and see other aspects of CAP and fill the jobs needed.  This is all part of your CAP career.  It's not all ES and ground team and flying and exciting, but it is all necessary and it provides the opportunity and excitement for others.  So, teach a ROA course or become a really good PAO and you will really see how CAP affects other lives.  Thanks for your past good work, but it ain't over yet.  Now buckle down and see the mundane everyday work side of CAP..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

acarlson

I joined after attending a squadron banquet, where I discovered by seeing in action, that
CAP is a "do good" organization!   We are good people, doing good work!

Thanks for all YOU do in CAP!

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

gistek

My son joined because there wasn't a good Boy Scout troop near where we lived. I joined because I wanted to help start a unit closer to home (the CAP unit we joined was almost 1 hour drive from home).

Then I had to move (new job) and made sure to find an apartment near a CAP unit. I enjoy working with the cadets and helping the unit. My son decided not to renew after two years, but I'm remaining in the program.

I enjoy helping with ES education/training, helping units manage their websites, and am hoping to start an Aerospace Education video project soon. I was an ES team member (base personnel) but can no longer participate in actual missions due to health reasons.

I am a Red Cross certified Lay Responder First Aid instructor and teach for two local CAP units.

Fifinella

Quote from: alamrcn on July 23, 2007, 08:39:16 PM
Does anyone continue to stay in the program for the same reason they joined years before? Probably not. So, what happens when you "out grow" the original reason for joining and then have trouble finding another niche in the program?

Ace,

I hope you can find a new niche.  It would be a shame to lose you.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Fifinella

P.S. - I joined to work with cadets: influence tomorrow's leaders, make a difference.  And to get some community service on my resume.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Hawk200

I joined while I was still active duty Air Force. Wanted to do something different, get around a little, meet some new people, put some of my miltary experience to use and share it. Helping out cadets was a new thing, and fun too.

At times while active duty, I felt like one of the "little people", just doing my job, and not getting a whole lot of notice. Saw a lot of people play political games, and I'm really not into politics.

The first major thing I did with CAP was earthquake relief around Northridge, CA. Did seven weekends, and it was a real morale boost when people would walk up to you and say "Thank you for being here, thank you for helping." Made it all  worth it.

I did things from driving a forklift, to slinging supplies, to helping repair vehicles in the motorpool. Got a great deal of diversity, and enjoyed it all.

JAFO78

I joined to serve my country. I was single, stuck in a rut. Did not join the military but came close, Navy & A.F.  Went to school instead.

I was in Navy JROTC in high school, Ensign. The reason I will rejoin is to Serve my country. I think I can get my 2 oldest sons to join. One for sure, as he can't join the military due to medical condition.
JAFO

flyguy06

There are many ways to serve your country other thanjoining the military. My best friend has been teaching high school for 10 years. He is serving his country by educating young minds

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: alamrcn on July 23, 2007, 08:39:16 PM

Ace-
You totally gave me a flash back to the glory days man.  I joined as a cadet with you and remember you as one of the leaders when I was a wee little Cadet Airman.  You and Briese and Storlie and Salk.  We were tough cadets in a tough squadron.  We all had dreams of making it in the "real" military.  We were all going to be rangers and we were all gunho.  Those were indeed the glory days.  Now, I know you caught the short end of the stick right after turning senior and that is a shame.  I think you made the right decisions and really made a difference once you got past the short sightedness of a few members and indeed did grow up (not meaning that in a bad way- hope it does not come across wrong).  I still remember when you came back and did an ES briefing and started off by pumping the team up.  It was awesome!!  In the end, some of us went in the military and others, like you and I, ended up staying in CAP.  This is a decision I have never regretted.  I feel like there is so much we can offer the cadets in the program.  You may be in a larger wing than I so it is indeed harder to make a large scale difference, but there is still that opportunity.  We have a lot of experience over the years and indeed we have an obligation to give that back.  Think about the seniors who gave to us like Dalton and Johnson.  We still remember them and know how much they helped us.  It is our turn now.  You need to find your own reasons to continue in CAP, but once you do, you will find a new life in this program and it will make you even more happy than the glory years as a young cadet anxious for your first real find.  Oh and Ace- I think we did find that target with the tail number of SATURN- you know what I mean :).
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us