Former Mil
18 (26.1%)
Other
13 (18.8%)
ES
30 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

RogueLeader

I joined CAP mainly because I wanted to serve for the US, but couldn't due to medical reasons.  Got me curious as to why you others did too.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

I joined because I wanted to serve my community in an unique way...CAP fit the bill the best in what I was looking for.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

floridacyclist

I was a cadet and like many other former cadets, re-joined when my oldest son hit 12. He just left home and my youngest (of 4) just finished his first encampment.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

RiverAux

I'm not sure I agree with your categories.  The last two before other aren't really reasons for joining CAP.  I would add Emergency Services to the list of reasons.

RogueLeader

Opps, accidentally  hit reset. . . . :o
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

I joined CAP as a cadet when I was 12 years old.  All I remember is wanting to fly in a Cessna or C-130 and wear a cool looking uniform.  It wasn't until I transferred squadrons 8 months later that I began to broaden my horizons. 

Looking back, I'm glad I joined CAP.  There are things I did in my 8 years as a cadet that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.  I was thinking about re-joining as an officer, but I think the Coast Guard Auxiliary would be a better choice for me. 

I'm medically disqualified from the military, but want to serve my country in a capacity that involves being in an organization that has a good, solid relationship with the military (and has good leaders).  Coast Guard Auxiliarists use mostly the same manuals as their active duty/reserve counterparts, can participate in Color Guard and Honor Guard, and can earn Coast Guard awards.  How cool is that?!?

I may become a CAP officer someday, but I will definitely become a Coast Guard Auxiliarist.  My cadet training will help in this venue.  I'm grateful for what CAP has allowed me to do and the impact it has had on my life.     

SARMedTech

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 17, 2007, 03:48:02 AM
I joined CAP mainly because I wanted to serve for the US, but couldn't due to medical reasons.  Got me curious as to why you others did too.

Lt. Seng-

Like you, I wanted to serve my country. Like you I also had medical reasons, though they probably could have been waived through MEPS. But I also found out that at age 33, most of the military considers me too old. I was passionate about joining the USCG in either a medical capacity of some kind (there was no medical billet in my reserve area) or as a reserve PSS. They were also having trouble finding me a reserve PSS billet in my area (the Great Lakes Region) and when I said I wasnt interested in some of the other billets they offered me, then the twice daily phone calls from the CPO recruiter stopped. I was very dissappointed. I looked into the USCG AUX but found that they really didnt have what I was looking for and when I found that CAP had ES, I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Recently, I finally felt as though I had been accepted into my country's service when I paid a visit to Scott AFB, showed my ID card, was asked by the 20 year old guard what my business on post was. I told him I had some items I wanted to purchase and to meet some of my active duty brothers and sisters. I was wearing my blue and whites. THough I am still a SMWOG, the gate guard through me a sharp salute and said "Welcome to Scott Air Force Base, Sir. Please enjoy your stay and let me know if I can assist you in any way" which I think was a general expression of respect and the fact that he could tell I was older than he was. It made me feel good and part of the family. I had several airman stop me and ask about my EMT insignia, about EMS in general, met one of their health services folks and talked shop, was bought lunch by a Sergeant who had been assigned to show me around and had an altogether pleasant and fulfilling day, including paying a visit to the men and women of the 375th Medical Group and getting to play with some of their wonderful new gadgets. I was also given a USAF PT grey t-shirt as a gift and the Sergeant presented me with a lovely enameled coin to welcome me to the USAFAUX. It really could not have been a more positive experience. I had a disposable camera in my brief case and was allowed to get my photo taken with the gate guards and some airman, Sgts and Aerospace Medical Folks and those are some items from the beginning of my CAP career that I will always cherish. The challenge coin is already in a frame on my wall. I guess that tempers a little bit of the feeling that sometimes we get that they dont care for us very much. Though I had no grade, I was treated as a visiting officer and on the way out was given a USAF ball cap. It took me back to my squadron with a feeling that they know who we are, and care and that they feel the same sense of family with us that we feel with them. I know I got off topic here, but thanks for letting me share.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Skyray

I did eight years of active duty and seven years of reserve, and the military taught me a lot of skills that were going to waste.  I don't like to waste nothing, particularly my flying skill, and I hit a persuasive CAP recruiter who got me to join.  I really joined to fly, but after I did, the powers that be in my neighborhood found out that I was qualified as a Combat Information Center Director, and I spent two years at various positions on mission staff before they let me fly missions.  Well, not let me fly, it is just that I always had a staff job that was too important to leave vacant.  I had Lieutenant Colonels and Majors working for me on staff while I was a slick sleeve, so I had an early introduction to the lack of meaning of rank among seniors.  After nine months as a slick sleeve I ran into a former wing commander whom I knew from civilian life, and he inquired whether I had been an officer in the service.  I informed him that I had, but the paperwork seemed to be taking a while to catch up to me.  Three weeks later I was promoted to Major.  I then proceeded to blast through the five levels of senior training because it was embarrassing to have rank above my training qualification.  My wing, Florida, was in a severe state of flux at the time, with two fairly well defined factions.  I tried to maintain distance from both of them, but was not totally successful.  In 1992 I attended National Staff College, and it was a very nostalgic occasion for me, the room that I was billeted in had exactly the same floor plan as the room in the BOQ in which I was quartered as a butter bar at MCAS Cherry Point.  I met a number of the National players like T.J. Fortune from Mississippi, Adele Sparks from Tennessee,  Dennis Manzanares from New Mexico and too many others to recall. I realized that this was a dynamite organization above and beyond the petty politics I was seeing in Florida.  I went to the Tennessee Wing conference in 1988 to qualify for my second wing conference, and Dennis Sparks, Tennessee Wing Commander (Adele's husband) told me that he had been in Florida twenty years before, and it has always been like this.  Oh well, maybe I will move back to Mississippi and rejoin.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

davedove

I wanted to give some volunteer time.  After looking around, I decided CAP might be a good fit.  I have been around the military all my career (first active duty then civilian), so CAP's military style environment was familiar to me, without being the military (I'm too old and out of shape for that).  Plus, I was attracted to CAP's ES mission and thought I could help out that way.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Capt M. Sherrod

I was looking to get involved with Aerospace Education and helping the cadets to become our leaders of tomorrow.  I was very interested in helping with the Model Rocketry program.  Of course, I see AE and CP as two parts of the program that truly go hand in hand.  You can't do one without the other.  I also got involved in the hope of being able to dust off my Private ASEL Certificate.  Hasn't happened yet, but I love working with my cadets.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

KFreeman

Joined as Cadet in December 1946. Was already in JROTC at WC Striplin HS in Ft. Worth, Tx. Wanted to be in the (then) Army Air Corps in the worst way.

Joined the USAF in February 1949. Best decision I ever made.

Returned to CAP in 1960 in Palm Beach Senior Sqdn. after USAF service.

Assigned SER-001 now but will be going to some ALWG or MSWG unit soon.

Also a LTC in ALSDF as G-6 (comms) in 3rd Bde.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

Flying Pig

I joined CAP in 1986.  My dad was the Sq. Chaplain for Sq. 45 at March AFB in Riverside Ca.  I cant remember a time when I didnt want to join the military.  Of course, at age 12, I wanted the uniform.  I then got into the drill team and was able to go to NCC a few times.  I loved the comraderie mostly and the discipline. 
I joined the Marines right after High School and had a 5 year break in CAP.  After I got out, I went back to CAP as a SM.  I wanted to work with cadets, and was fortunate enough to end up as the Dep Comm for Cadets at the Sq I had grown up in.  After about 5 years, I moved because of my job, and ended up in Fresno.  Then, next thing I knew, It had been 3 years since I had been active.  In that time I had earned my Commercial-Inst rating, and made it into the Sheriffs Aviation Unit.  Now I am back in CAP working towards Mission Pilot status, and taking my 9 year old son to CAP with me.........and then the cycle starts all over!

star1151

I joined because no other volunteer organization would take someone who has a full time job and travels on short notice.

jimmydeanno

I joined CAP in 1997 as a cadet.  A friend of mine came up to me one day in school and asked me what I did over the weekend.  He got the, "eh, mowed the lawn, watched some tv, you?"

He then told me about how he went flying with the local ANG unit in a KC-135.  "Yeah right," I said.  He then showed me the pictures.  So, I went with him to the next meeting and they did a bunch of cool stuff.

Since then, I've been doing CAP aproximately 30+ hours a week, as a cadet, working with cadets since my transition.  Not really sure what I like about it or the real reason that keeps me here, but for some reason I'm addicted.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JRESO

I found out about CAP through some teens at a church youth summer camp. After asking them a few questions, I did some research on-line to learn more about CAP. Since I am in the ES field professionally, specifically Fire and EMS, I was immediately drawn to the possibility of volunteering in the ES portion. Since I also volunteer as a youth leader, the cadet program appealed to me as well. The thought of flying was just icing on the cake. But if I had to pick one reason, it would have to be ES. So now I get to be a part of cadet programs by training them in ES and I get to fly as part of the aircrew during missions!

Ford73Diesel

I joined when I was 13 originally for ES type stuff. Interesting today I have no intrest in the ES portion of CAP but love what the cadet program has to offer.

flyguy06

I joined CAP as a Cadet because I wanted to know everything there was to know about the military. Especially the Air Force sense my goal at the time was to be a USAF pilot. That didint happen due to my vision, but I went into the Army. I still had a love for aviation and stayed in.

I do it now because I want to encourage young people to get into aviation careers, especially military aviation careers. I want to introduce aviation in my community.

Kerrbie

Truthfully I didn't want to join.  An old friend would not stop bugging me and so finally I went along for a meeting. I met some knew friends and thought ES was really cool. So I joined. No i love it even more.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

wingnut

I was lied too, I thought I was joining TEAM AMERICA;WORLD POLICE ::) >:D

FARRIER

Joined at age 15, once in the fold, never thought of quitting, been having too much fun since then.  :)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace