Effect of public opinion about Iraq war on CAP

Started by RiverAux, July 11, 2007, 06:19:58 PM

RiverAux

Given the growing unpopularity of the war in Iraq, has anyone begun to see any negative impacts of this general public opinion on CAP, especially in terms of recruiting both cadets and seniors?  Are parents showing reluctance to let their kids join CAP due to worries that ths might lead them into the military and into Iraq?  Mistaken assumptions that CAP members might get sent to Iraq?  Negative comments about CAP because we're associated with the military?

Bear in mind, I'm not talking about funding cutbacks from the AF due to the war. 

jimmydeanno

I have not seen any change in the opinion of the parents.  Since, for the most part, recruiting in CAP is done word of mouth, the parents I have coming to sign their children up already have some idea of what the program is.

I think, for the most part, parents are more concerned with getting their children involved in something that is positive and will actually make a difference in their childs lives, CAP frequently fills that slot.

Even when recruiting at Air Shows, schools, etc, I have found no resistance, everyone is always willing to at least listen.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Thankfully the pendulum swing has gone all the way to the other side, and now instead of blaming the soldiers, the vast majority of people blame the leaders and thank the soldiers (I don't really think they understand anymore or less about the "real" world, but the mass media is telling people to do it, so they do).

Because of that, public reception of CAP around here (NW IL) is great, especially when they actually know who and what we are.

However we can't get near the schools because there is a backlash by uninformed academics that we are a recruiting arm of the military, and therefore have that stink on us. (that's a separate thread if you're so inclined).

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

I simply tell folks the truth: That the majority of our kids do not go in the military, and that while many of the skills we teach them are very useful in the military, the same skills will do them well in a profession, business or technical trades as well. Most people do quite well at recognizing that we represent what is good about the military (the discipline and sense of belonging) without all the messy shooting and gore - I just help them make that connection.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

O-Rex

I think that as a nation overall, we've gotten past the "spitting on Soldiers" of the generation past, and the public has learned to differentiate between those who serve, and those who make policy.

Regardless of opinions about the war in Iraq, there is still a keen awareness among Americans that it can very well "happen here," as the scars of 9/11 are still fresh. 

wingnut

War in Iraq, you mean the war on global terror?? The attack on Western Civilization by ignorant zealots intent on killing every man woman and child of the western civilization. I am sorry but are we going to suddenly be left alone by these people intent on Nuking us, or using Bio- Warfare to attack us just because we get out of Iraq., now just what was your question??

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

OK, I see.  Is there a time limit on edits?

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP428

Quote from: wingnut on July 13, 2007, 09:28:28 AM
War in Iraq, you mean the war on global terror?? The attack on Western Civilization by ignorant zealots intent on killing every man woman and child of the western civilization. I am sorry but are we going to suddenly be left alone by these people intent on Nuking us, or using Bio- Warfare to attack us just because we get out of Iraq., now just what was your question??

What are you talking about?  This thread is about the effect the war has on public opinion about CAP, not about the war itself.

Skyray

Quote from: CAP428 on July 13, 2007, 02:39:41 PM
Quote from: wingnut on July 13, 2007, 09:28:28 AM

What are you talking about?  This thread is about the effect the war has on public opinion about CAP, not about the war itself.

O.K. you guys, you have succeeded in lumping about five subjects into the same bucket.  To try to address the opinion of CAP428, I think the CN program had more of an adverse effect on CAP than the GWOT ever could.  The inhumanty of the heathen is much easier to oppose than what many view as victimless crimes.  I don't mean to start that debate; I am just saying that there are a lot of members who think we should not be Narcking on our friends.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Viper QA

I have seen no negative effects or opinions in my unit. We have had many new cadet members join & I have not had a parent yet make any negative comments. I also have not heard anything from any of the visitors who did not join.
J.J. Jones
NY-135

Becks

In the past my friend has been called a "baby-killer" while in CAP uniform.

BBATW

ZigZag911

WIWAC in the early 70s we caught some static from locals about our military connection....I recall one night some long-haired teens from the neighborhood gathered in the parking lot where we were drilling, making comments and trying to surround our flight (about 15-20 cadets)....our cadet commander of the time was a street savvy city kid who also knew his drill -- snapped out some quick commands involving rapid movements to the flanks and the rear....our 'guests' thought we were going to march right over them!

At about this point they recalled that it was time to hang out in the 7-11's parking lot and made a hasty exit (I'd say they beat a fast retreat, but that would be imputing  military tactics to the anti-military crowd!)

The odd thing was that within our cadet group there was, as in society, a broad spectrum of opinion about the Viet Nam war and America's international role.

CLB

Quote from: Becks on July 14, 2007, 03:46:13 AM
In the past my friend has been called a "baby-killer" while in CAP uniform.

Ah yes.....I remember this well.  Not going to post my response to the young lady, but let's just say it happened when I lived in East San Fran (Asheville NC).   

PM me if you want to know the whole story. ;D
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

star1151

Quote from: RiverAux on July 11, 2007, 06:19:58 PM
Mistaken assumptions that CAP members might get sent to Iraq? 

I can't speak for parents of cadets, but my (former Navy officer) mother has asked about this over and over.  Even explaining the history of CAP makes it worse ("but they "fought" in WWII....")  I keep trying to convince her I'm not going to Iraq, but after my brother ran off and joined OCS, it's a little difficult to do that. :-)