Main Menu

Americas Promise

Started by Capt Rivera, July 11, 2007, 04:52:48 AM

Capt Rivera

I'm still reading about it but I figured I would ask anyway... Is this something CAP should be looking into on the national level? Seems like we already do the "five promises" why not align publicly with this?

I just want to start conversation... As I mentioned already, I have not done all research to give myself an ultimate opinion.

Check out: http://www.americaspromise.org
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

IceNine

We are involved.  Not as an organization, but we have a voice.  One of the girls on the youth advisory board for America's promise is a C/Lt.Col from Florida.  As a matter of fact she boarded a plane at 7Am to head out there.

I talked to her about it last night and she said they are already talking to the organizers about approaching CAP to get involved in a big way.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: J.Hendricks on July 11, 2007, 03:38:10 PM
We are involved.  Not as an organization, but we have a voice.  One of the girls on the youth advisory board for America's promise is a C/Lt.Col from Florida.  As a matter of fact she boarded a plane at 7Am to head out there.

I talked to her about it last night and she said they are already talking to the organizers about approaching CAP to get involved in a big way.

Correct personal involvement is an obvious avenue. I was indeed referring to CAP getting officially involved. Please update us with whatever news she brings back from her experience.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

BillB

If you'e thinking of getting these kids into CAP as cadets, you can probably forget it. The problem is financial. These at risk kids don't have the funds for dues, encampments, or the other activities cadets take part in that cost money. So basically there is nothing CAP can do as an organization for the at risk kids, and even squadrons would be hard put to fund them.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Capt Rivera

Really think you miss the point. Have you read the 5 promises?... It really does not take money to commit to many of these... just commitment. CAP supporting the endeavor brings good PR both ways but more importantly it brings it to the attention of the thousands of CAP members who might find easy ways to make an impact. That is what it is truly about.

In the end, if CAP did do something with this... I bet it would fall on our cadets. They seem to have vision where most officers desire to stay in darkness... they also try to figure out how to do something before spending time thinking about how hard it is to come up with the money.

People keep saying C.A.P... Come And Pay.... yes true in many ways but I really wish money wasn't always the root of every endeavor.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

IceNine

Money doesn't have to be a factor in this instance.  There are HUGE corporation's that are footing the bills for a lot of these things to happen.  For instance State Farm just donated 5 Million dollars this year and that will most likely be a growing yearly donation.  And thats just one corporations, so we can stop talking money and start talking strategy. 

BTW- As a cadet that grew up in financial hardship it was great to have a unit that was willing to help me succeed, as mentioned before all it took was commitment.  They sent me to encampments etc as long as I was there contributing consistently.  Just remember just because they can't pay doesn't mean they can't be a useful asset
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: J.Hendricks on July 12, 2007, 04:22:15 PM
Money doesn't have to be a factor in this instance.  There are HUGE corporation's that are footing the bills for a lot of these things to happen.  For instance State Farm just donated 5 Million dollars this year and that will most likely be a growing yearly donation.  And thats just one corporations, so we can stop talking money and start talking strategy. 

BTW- As a cadet that grew up in financial hardship it was great to have a unit that was willing to help me succeed, as mentioned before all it took was commitment.  They sent me to encampments etc as long as I was there contributing consistently.  Just remember just because they can't pay doesn't mean they can't be a useful asset

:clap:
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander