Veterans use of Online Exchange Shopping

Started by MSG Mac, August 28, 2017, 05:03:00 AM

MSG Mac

Just saw in VFW magazine that veterans can now do online shopping through the military exchanges. Veterans interested in participating can begin the verification process through VetVerify.org., or by calling 1-844-868-8672. The article states that verification of veteran status should normally only take a few minutes. Purchases are online only and do not allow for alcohol, tobacco, or uniforms.  Once verified you can shop at all the military exchanges (AAFEES, navy, Marine, and Coast Guard).
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 28, 2017, 05:03:00 AM
Just saw in VFW magazine that veterans can now do online shopping through the military exchanges. Veterans interested in participating can begin the verification process through VetVerify.org., or by calling 1-844-868-8672. The article states that verification of veteran status should normally only take a few minutes. Purchases are online only and do not allow for alcohol, tobacco, or uniforms.  Once verified you can shop at all the military exchanges (AAFEES, navy, Marine, and Coast Guard).

I signed up and was accepted into the beta program. So, I logged in and looked around.

I was in the market for an Apple device. They didn't have current models. Then I look around at a few other things. The prices weren't all that great. No sales tax, but limited selection. I can do better with Amazon Prime and get it delivered tomorrow.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

winterg

I've been in the beta for a few months now. Prices are OK. Not great. I get better deals and selection as an Amazon Prime member. And the one part of access that would be useful for me and my unit, Clothing Sales, is not permitted. While it's great we have access and is long overdue, it's not as useful as it could be.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Papabird

Quote from: winterg on August 28, 2017, 12:39:05 PM
I've been in the beta for a few months now. Prices are OK. Not great. I get better deals and selection as an Amazon Prime member. And the one part of access that would be useful for me and my unit, Clothing Sales, is not permitted. While it's great we have access and is long overdue, it's not as useful as it could be.

Am I the only hopeless optimist that thinks that the separation of DEERS as the only way to authenticate people may mean that CAP members could get access the other way?  Meaning we can't shop the regular AAFES stuff, but can hit the uniform shop?  It is just the opposite condition that we Vets are getting with this.  Shouldn't even add that much overhead, just to check another list.  And they could add JROTC cadets (Army and AF) to that as well!

I am hopeful....but not holding my breath. ;)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

kwe1009

I'm not exactly sure how vets are being authenticated to use AAFES online but it does probably have something to do with DEERS. 

From my perspective giving CAP members access to AAFES online could be a simple process.  Something as simple as a CAPWATCH file to AAFES to validate members could do the trick.  The issue comes when you are trying to figure out who pays to make that happen.  There will be some amount of administrative work on both the CAP and AAFES side to make that happen.  I don't think that AAFES is too eager to take this on since this would actually be a money-losing project.  Uniform items have razor thin margins from my understanding so the ability for AAFES to recoup their investment in this is not good.

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on August 28, 2017, 02:25:01 PM
From my perspective giving CAP members access to AAFES online could be a simple process.

Based on the most current KB article, the 3rd-party vendor running the AAFES Call Center has decided they aren't interested in CAP.

A vendor driving the CAP bus?  That never happens, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Papabird, let me reinforce your optimism (at least for your access).

I know y'all were excused from Commanders Call because of the massive SAREX y'all were executing on SAT. We briefed there that JRB Dobbins access has been reinstated for members/members with driving parents to visit the AAFES Uniform Sales and WG/HQ (ONLY) with valid CAPID. The boss has been spending a bunch of time working this issue with the base commander and pass office to regain and build trust, and is pivoting off that to work personally with other bases in the Wing, but your folks should have access now without notifying the Pentagon.

As Peter Parker says though, with power comes responsibility. Misbehavior on base and appearance in public by overweight/ungroomed adults in USAF style will result in immediate unpleasant action. Access is there, and we're working to expand access FOR ELIGIBLE MEMBERS. Please make sure that ALL repeat ALL members over 18 get the word that we are telling them to weigh themselves against the 39-1 table before purchasing and wearing the USAF style (and to KEEP self-weighing periodically to be able to give an honest answer when asked by command if they are compliant - which we will do per 39-1, 1.2.2).

(She and I gritted our teeth and modeled a SELF weigh in on my bathroom scale in front of the commanders - she passed, I failed, which is why my closet full of USAF styles all have cobwebs). We emphasized that have no role to tell any member what their weight should be, but we are required to restrict USAF style wear per the regs and we do not want to lose the base access for all  because some  person "felt" compliant, as opposed to self weighed regularly to avoid self delusion.

We did have one unit/CC who was unaware of the Blue BDU option for SMs wishing to train in ground ops. which was interesting to hear from a new unit commander, so we need to work on communicating what some still may see as common knowledge like this. That's part of the "expected to provide remedial education and counseling if required" commanders responsibility.

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on August 28, 2017, 02:57:30 PM
We did have one unit/CC who was unaware of the Blue BDU option for SMs wishing to train in ground ops. which was interesting to hear from a new unit commander,

Well it's not just for "ground ops", but seriously?

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Yep.

It raised my eyebrows, but then I reminded myself that many people join CAP to fly, not to discuss and debate uniforms.

;)

Papabird

I know y'all were excused from Commanders Call because of the massive SAREX y'all were executing on SAT. We briefed there that JRB Dobbins access has been reinstated for members/members with driving parents
to visit the AAFES Uniform Sales and WG/HQ (ONLY) with valid CAPID. The boss has been spending a bunch of time working this issue with the base commander and pass office to regain and build trust, and is pivoting off that to work personally with other bases in the Wing, but your folks should have access now without notifying the Pentagon.

I was hoping this would be coming!  Thank you Sir!  :)  And yes, understood about the uniforms.  Will that info be coming via official channels?

And Red Top Mt was great this weekend!  Got a number of future GT members signed off.  Lots of green bibles got their first dirt on them.  :)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Luis R. Ramos

Yep.

Since members cannot fly on CAPTalk, that is why they turn any topic into uniform topics. Maybe the moderators should prohibit posting topics on uniforms, so members can then take their questions and comments to CAP regs, manuals, pamphlets?

;)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Quote from: Papabird on August 28, 2017, 04:20:12 PM

I know y'all were excused from Commanders Call because of the massive SAREX y'all were executing on SAT. We briefed there that JRB Dobbins access has been reinstated for members/members with driving parents
to visit the AAFES Uniform Sales and WG/HQ (ONLY) with valid CAPID. The boss has been spending a bunch of time working this issue with the base commander and pass office to regain and build trust, and is pivoting off that to work personally with other bases in the Wing, but your folks should have access now without notifying the Pentagon.

I was hoping this would be coming!  Thank you Sir!  :)  And yes, understood about the uniforms.  Will that info be coming via official channels?

And Red Top Mt was great this weekend!  Got a number of future GT members signed off.  Lots of green bibles got their first dirt on them.  :)

Guidance on base access, yes, and we'll update that as we go too. We need to get this clearly understandable to parents who may be driving on base.

On the wider issue of USAF style uniforms, someone asked me if we were writing a Supplement on it, to which I replied, the sections in question don't need any Supplementing that we can see - it is existing policy - which we will be enforcing hopefully without being hypocritical about it (that's why I suggested that the command team publicly demo a SELF weighing in in front of the assembled commanders). That's also why the uniform of the day was g/w or polos only, to avoid embarrassing anyone (core value stuff).

V/r
Spam

stillamarine

I went to the verify thing and it said I already had access.  ???
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com