Main Menu

Tragic loss.

Started by capmaj, September 18, 2011, 09:59:36 PM

capmaj

CAP has lost a valued member. Captain Mike Joyce, the CC of the Camp Curtis Guild Composite Squadron in Massachusetts, was killed in an auto accident early Saturday morning. Mike and his companion were travelling in Mike's vehicle when they suddenly left the road and collided with a tree.

Mike was 29 years old at the time of his death and had been with the program since joining as a cadet in the 90's. He was and is known for his enjoyment of working with cadets, continuously arraigning bivouacs, trips, etc. for the cadets under his care.

Mike will be missed by his friends and all the members of his CAP family.

MIKE

You sure you have the age right? 'cause IIRC we were both cadets in the late '90s, and I'm pretty sure I was a bit older than him.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Rest in Peace

SALEM — Two Massachusetts residents were killed in a single-vehicle accident just before midnight last night.
Michael Joyce, 29, of Stoneham and Karina O'Donnell, 23, of Merrimac were killed after the pickup truck they were in hit a large tree off Interstate 93 North near the Salem rest area, according to New Hampshire State Police.
Officers from Troop B responded to the accident scene at 11:55 p.m. Joyce was driving a 2006 Ford F250 pickup north on I-93 when he drove through the beginning of the off-ramp to the rest area, police said. The truck traveled off the ramp and into the woods, where it struck a large tree.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

capmaj

SARDOC

Sorry to hear about this.  It's always a shame when we lose a good person.

Eagle

My sympathies for his family. Did his companion survive?
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eagle on September 19, 2011, 01:53:29 AM
My sympathies for his family. Did his companion survive?

SALEM — Two Massachusetts residents were killed in a single-vehicle accident just before midnight last night.
Michael Joyce, 29, of Stoneham and Karina O'Donnell, 23, of Merrimac were killed after the pickup truck they were in hit a large tree off Interstate 93 North near the Salem rest area, according to New Hampshire State Police.
Officers from Troop B responded to the accident scene at 11:55 p.m. Joyce was driving a 2006 Ford F250 pickup north on I-93 when he drove through the beginning of the off-ramp to the rest area, police said. The truck traveled off the ramp and into the woods, where it struck a large tree.

Ozzy

Its so sad... With it happening right around Midnight and going to a rest area, it sounds like sleep/fatigue might have been the cause
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Angus

Mike was a great officer and a good friend he will be missed. 

Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030