Ira C. Eaker Mini Medal Design

Started by James Shaw, February 03, 2009, 03:31:12 PM

James Shaw

Well here it is folks. The proposed design for the Ira C. Eaker mini medal. I hope you enjoy!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Duke Dillio

cnitas

I like the design, but I would try and keep the diamonds together (if you were going to keep that element).  they look like a pair of C/Maj diamonds to me.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

James Shaw

Quote from: Sqn72DO on February 03, 2009, 03:36:08 PM
Is it bronze, silver, or gold?

I am not sure what type it would be. I would guess bronze.
Jim Shaw

Strick

Good Job! :clap:

Means a lot to us Eaker cadets
[darn]atio memoriae

James Shaw

Quote from: cnitas on February 03, 2009, 03:52:49 PM
I like the design, but I would try and keep the diamonds together (if you were going to keep that element).  they look like a pair of C/Maj diamonds to me.

Both a single diamond (2 collectively on medal ) and double diamond (2 pairs of 2 diamonds were submitted). Not sure if they would want a collective or single layout for the design. Good eye!
Jim Shaw

cnitas

I like the '2 pairs' version better myself.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop and giving us a chance to make direct contributions to this kind of stuff.

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Cecil DP

Eaker was a LtGen on active duty, but was later promoted to GEN (as was Doolittle and Davis). So shouldn't it have 4 stars?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: caphistorian on February 03, 2009, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: Sqn72DO on February 03, 2009, 03:36:08 PM
Is it bronze, silver, or gold?

I am not sure what type it would be. I would guess bronze.

All CAP mini medals, except for the SMV, BMV, DSM, ESA and MSA are a silver oxide color, if I remember correctly. The Comm-Comm is a bright silver.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

swamprat86

James Shaw

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 03, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
Eaker was a LtGen on active duty, but was later promoted to GEN (as was Doolittle and Davis). So shouldn't it have 4 stars?

Very true. Eaker was promoted by Reagan. The three stars were selected because of the current Eaker Award certificate having three stars. Wanted to keep them consistent.
Jim Shaw

PlaneFlyr

Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BuckeyeDEJ

Not to be a back-seat designer, but since I'm not in the front seat on this....

Instead of the globe, what if the landmark transcontintental air-refueling flight was symbolized more directly? Like maybe with a hand passing power (symbolized with a thunderbolt?) to another hand? The receiving hand could sit lower, to symbolize reception.

This symbolism would also serve the dual purpose of symbolizing the passing of knowledge -- instead of the torch, which gets so overused, it's clip-arty.

An example of such a visual metaphor is actually on the seal of my alma mater....
http://www.marietta.edu/style/images/mc_seal.gif
Of course, it's a little more spread out than I'd prefer for the planchet.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

jimmydeanno

The lightning bolt is usually a symbol of communications.  See the AF specialty badge for comm, has a fist with lightning coming out of it over a globe.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 03, 2009, 09:28:38 PM
The lightning bolt is usually a symbol of communications.  See the AF specialty badge for comm, has a fist with lightning coming out of it over a globe.
Yes, but the SAC insignia had an iron first with lightning bolts emanating from it. And those guys weren't communicating.

Knowledge is power. And sometimes, it's air power, too.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 03, 2009, 09:34:54 PM
Yes, but the SAC insignia had an iron first with lightning bolts emanating from it. And those guys weren't communicating.

Having seen, up close, what a cell of BUFF's could do in a jungle, I'd say that the SAC guys were very good at communicating.  ;D
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

James Shaw

Quote from: swamprat86 on February 03, 2009, 07:24:44 PM
Lifesaving is bronze

The lifesave medal is actually a dull silver.
Jim Shaw

Hawk200

I think the design is sharp. I do have to agree on one item, it does look like there are two cadet major diamonds instead of a cadet lieutenant colonel. Other than that little change, run with it.

swamprat86

Mine must be really old.. I remember it being bronze.  I'll have to pull it out and look at it.