Search And Rescue gear price list's.

Started by Hoorah, February 15, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Hoorah

Quote from: JThemann on February 16, 2010, 01:49:13 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:43:57 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 16, 2010, 01:42:32 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:28:06 AM
I have made my final decision do not deter my final decision.
Don't ask for comments if yo don't want to hear them.
I want to hear comments just not on changing my final decision.

So what do you want comments on? Congrats Airman Williams, you've made some great choices in your gear there for stuff you'll never use.
I will be able to use it not just for SAR but other CAP unit activities,etc.

Stonewall

AWESOME!!!

And the Rope Deployment Bag....a must item for all CAP Ground Team Members!  Good Choice!

You're going to spend more on shipping costs than it would cost to outfit yourself with a single set of 24hr gear.
Serving since 1987.

Hoorah

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:13:57 AM
I am happy I have found my SAR gear.
SAR Vest. $39.00.
Ground Team Members Handbook  $6.90. Download and bind at Kinkos for ~$10.
Signal mirror $11.95.
Small first aid kit $14.97.
Light Sticks $7.50.
Wooden matches or lighters $7.95.
Pen Flashlight $16.99. $No more than $5.
Mini flashlight $24.95. S/B No more than $10
Flashlight with red lens accessory pack mag $4.99. Unnecessary, A $25 flashlight should have multi-color LED's.
Camelback $29.00.
Rope bag  thigh $32.62.
Holder ground team $9.35.
Ground team log book $13.00.

Too much weight, too expensive, and real men don't play SAR with Airsoft junk.  Get yourself an Orange SARMed for the same price
and it will be less "hardkewl" but more functional.

Frankly, for a new GT3-T, you should be able to walk into Wal*Mart with ~$50, and walk out with the whole list and some change.
Throw it all in a cheap backpack with some water bottles - then replace things as you use them up and understand what you really want / need.

Don't be the guy who shows up to a UDF mission in an urban area with full battle-rattle including a plate holder and a SQTR with GT3-T still wet, especially as a cadet with what I presume to be limited funds.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Nice.. so the cadet disses a senior who is a Major...

Way to burn bridges boy...

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2010, 02:02:46 AM
SAR Vest. $39.00.
Signal mirror $11.95.
Light Sticks $7.50.
Flashlight with red lens accessory pack mag $4.99. Unnecessary, A $25 flashlight should have multi-color LED's.
Camelback $29.00.
Rope bag  thigh $32.62.

Too much weight, too expensive, and real men don't play SAR with Airsoft junk.  Get yourself an Orange SARMed for the same price

Frankly, for a new GT3-T, you should be able to walk into Wal*Mart with ~$50, and walk out with the whole list and some change.
Throw it all in a cheap backpack with some water bottles - then replace things as you use them up and understand what you really want / need.

Don't be the guy who shows up to a UDF mission in an urban area with full battle-rattle including a plate holder and a SQTR with GT3-T still wet, especially as a cadet with what I presume to be limited funds.
I understand your concerns but I like mine better no offense.

Hoorah

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Al Sayre

Quote from: JThemann on February 16, 2010, 01:49:13 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:43:57 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 16, 2010, 01:42:32 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:28:06 AM
I have made my final decision do not deter my final decision.
Don't ask for comments if yo don't want to hear them.
I want to hear comments just not on changing my final decision.

So what do you want comments on? Congrats Airman Williams, you've made some great choices for gear you'll never use.
And spent about 3-4 times more money than you needed to.
Sportsman's Guide and Bargain Outfitters are also a great source for reasonably priced gear for the rest of us...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Hoorah

JayT

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 02:06:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2010, 02:02:46 AM
SAR Vest. $39.00.
Signal mirror $11.95.
Light Sticks $7.50.
Camelback $29.00.
Rope bag  thigh $32.62.

I understand your concerns but I like mine better no offense.
So what do you want comments on? You're gonna buy a bunch of junk that you have no use for.  Aren't you seventeen? You should be saving for college.
I see this same thing all the time with new guys coming out of their EMT school or the EMS Academy. Forty pounds of gear they have no use for on their person that they don't have a need for.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hoorah

Alright so I see you guys want me to change my decision totally so I will let you guys tell me what i need to get. I want to buy it from the internet.

Pumbaa

Does this board have a kill file or ignore?  I tire of this foolishness.

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 02:19:10 AM
Alright so I see you guys want me to change my decision tell me what to get rid of and what to keep I will be buying all from internet so help me.

Take the list in the manual and find the bare-bones equivalent at your local big-box.  Keep it in a cheap school bag until you
actually start doing something with it, then build your kit as things break or you need an upgrade based on hands-on
experience.

As you do upgrade, look to eBay and fellow members first before dropping your credit card at Ranger Joe's.  Almost anything you
"need" can be picked up for pennies on the dollar if keep your eyes open and jump on opportunity.

My first web gear was a $25 ELBV that still had sand in it - best gear I ever used.  From there I bought a full-on BlackHawk Tac Vest with
medical leg bag and complete GT gear, including multiples of many items like name-brand knives, Mag-Lights, and all the First-Aid gear, plus batteries and meals.

That was...$50 total because a member was moving and was no longer interested in Ground Sar.

The ELBV got me through Katrina, and I wish I'd had a SARMed.  The BlackHawk has never seen real action because its a PITA.  Thank goodness I didn't actually pay what it was worth.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Fools learn from experience. Wise men learn from the experience of others...

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2010, 02:26:52 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 02:19:10 AM
Alright so I see you guys want me to change my decision tell me what to get rid of and what to keep I will be buying all from internet so help me.

Take the list in the manual and find the bare-bones equivalent at your local big-box.  keep it in a cheap school bag until you
actually start doing something with it, then build your kit as things break or you need an upgrade base on hands-on
experience.
Alright I see where your going with this I  would like to have a cheap vest to start out with that has pockets then add to when needed.

Hoorah

Here's what I will do I will research the cheapest SAR gear list I can make. Since you did not like my original decision.

Eclipse

Its not for us to "like" it.  Don't you have leaders in your unit who can help you with these kinds of thing?

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

I have been working on ground team in CAP for over 10 years.  I've gone through the entire revolution from geardo to practical searcher.

Start with a SAR/Med Vest, fill the rest from Wal-mart's sporting goods, hardware, and other sections.  Below I have listed the specific items that I ordered because I couldn't find them local

You can spend $300 on stuff that you "need" because it's on the list, or you can spend 1/3 of that and after a few hours in the field you'll decide which items to keep, throw away, and upgrade.

No one on this board can give you as much information as your local GTL's and ESO's.  They will be able to tell you specifically which items they've never touched, and which they wouldn't leave home without.

I personally carry the items below

Multi-tool
Comfortable vest
Decent writing tool
Notepad
Decent First Aid kit - I bought this one, and supplemented it.
Whistle
Flashlight (Radio Shack 4 color LED and Maglight)
Camelbak (the one I use is discontinued.

Almost everything else I got from local hardware stores and wal-mart.

Be wise spend the money as necessary but not foolishly. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Quote from: IceNine on February 16, 2010, 02:53:57 AM
I have been working on ground team in CAP for over 10 years.  I've gone through the entire revolution from geardo to practical searcher.

Start with a SAR/Med Vest, fill the rest from Wal-mart's sporting goods, hardware, and other sections.  Below I have listed the specific items that I ordered because I couldn't find them local

You can spend $300 on stuff that you "need" because it's on the list, or you can spend 1/3 of that and after a few hours in the field you'll decide which items to keep, throw away, and upgrade.

No one on this board can give you as much information as your local GTL's and ESO's.  They will be able to tell you specifically which items they've never touched, and which they wouldn't leave home without.

I personally carry the items below

Multi-tool
Comfortable vest
Decent writing tool
Notepad
Decent First Aid kit - I bought this one, and supplemented it.
Whistle
Flashlight (Radio Shack 4 color LED and Maglight)
Camelbak (the one I use is discontinued.

Almost everything else I got from local hardware stores and wal-mart.

Be wise spend the money as necessary but not foolishly.
+1

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP