Search And Rescue gear price list's.

Started by Hoorah, February 15, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Hoorah

Hello, I have a 300$ SAR gear budget. So please enlighten me on the different price options, with purchasing SAR gear with the list I have.
SAR Vest.
Waterproof containers.
Ground Team Members Handbook.
Signal mirror.
Small first aid kit.
Light Sticks.
Wooden matches or lighter.
50' Nylon Line.
Duck Tape.
Pen Flashlight.
Mini flashlight.
Flagging Tape.
Flashlight with red lens.
Interview forms.
Poncho.
Military space poncho.
Canteens.
Sleeping pad.
If I am missing anything let me know.
Thanks.

NC Hokie

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 08:42:32 PM
Hello, I have a 300$ SAR gear budget. So please enlighten me on the different options, on purchasing SAR gear with the list I have.

Here's my advice:

SAR Vest.
See what your squadron or fellow cadets have and use that. Your best bet if money is tight is to get a set of ALICE gear from eBay.  You'll need a pistol belt, suspenders, two ammo pouches, two canteen covers, and a butt pack. You can frequently find a whole set for under $30.00 if you don't mind getting used equipment.

Waterproof containers.
Zip lock bags. Generic brands are okay, but be sure to use double bags on items that absolutely cannot get wet (electronics, etc.).

You have to get this from Vanguard unless you can get one from your squadron.  See if your commander can add one onto an existing order to save on shipping, or collect money from others that need it and order them all at the same time.

Small first aid kit.
Build your own, as none of the store-bought kits will have everything that you need.

Signal mirror.
Light Sticks.
50' Nylon Line.
Duck Tape.
Pen Flashlight.
Mini flashlight.
Flagging Tape.
Poncho.

Start by looking in the hardware (flagging tape, duct tape) and sporting-goods (everything else) sections of Wal-Mart, Target, etc.  Whatever you don't find there can be found at a large sporting goods store like Dick's or REI.  The poncho you're looking for here is one of the $1.00-$2.00 pocket-sized ponchos that you can put into one of your cargo pockets for quick access if a sudden rain storm comes up.

Military space poncho.
Canteens.
Sleeping pad.

Military surplus stores or eBay.  I'd STRONGLY recommend getting new canteens, as they're cheap and you never know what's been in any used ones you might find.

Interview forms.
Sorry, can't help you here.  The ones I have were found on the internet years ago and I 1) can't remember where they came from and 2) am not sure that they're "approved" for use in my own wing, let alone yours.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Hoorah

Quote from: NC Hokie on February 15, 2010, 09:15:28 PM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 08:42:32 PM
Hello, I have a 300$ SAR gear budget. So please enlighten me on the different options, on purchasing SAR gear with the list I have.

Here's my advice:

SAR Vest.
See what your squadron or fellow cadets have and use that. Your best bet if money is tight is to get a set of ALICE gear from eBay.  You'll need a pistol belt, suspenders, two ammo pouches, two canteen covers, and a butt pack. You can frequently find a whole set for under $30.00 if you don't mind getting used equipment.

Waterproof containers.
Zip lock bags. Generic brands are okay, but be sure to use double bags on items that absolutely cannot get wet (electronics, etc.).

You have to get this from Vanguard unless you can get one from your squadron.  See if your commander can add one onto an existing order to save on shipping, or collect money from others that need it and order them all at the same time.

Small first aid kit.
Build your own, as none of the store-bought kits will have everything that you need.

Signal mirror.
Light Sticks.
50' Nylon Line.
Duck Tape.
Pen Flashlight.
Mini flashlight.
Flagging Tape.
Poncho.

Start by looking in the hardware (flagging tape, duct tape) and sporting-goods (everything else) sections of Wal-Mart, Target, etc.  Whatever you don't find there can be found at a large sporting goods store like Dick's or REI.  The poncho you're looking for here is one of the $1.00-$2.00 pocket-sized ponchos that you can put into one of your cargo pockets for quick access if a sudden rain storm comes up.

Military space poncho.
Canteens.
Sleeping pad.

Military surplus stores or eBay.  I'd STRONGLY recommend getting new canteens, as they're cheap and you never know what's been in any used ones you might find.

Interview forms.
Sorry, can't help you here.  The ones I have were found on the internet years ago and I 1) can't remember where they came from and 2) am not sure that they're "approved" for use in my own wing, let alone yours.
Thanks but I also need a price list so I know where to buy and how much.

Hoorah

Example.
Ranger Joes 59.95 Backpack
and so on.

NC Hokie

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 09:17:56 PM
You did not ask for prices in your first post, and I really do not have the time to do this for you.  I've given you the where (eBay, Vanguard, Wal-Mart, etc.), but it's ultimately your responsibility to find the exact products and prices that meet your needs.  That said, a budget of $300.00 is more than sufficient to equip yourself with an adequate 24-hour pack, so you shouldn't worry that you'll need to sacrifice quality to stay within your budget.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Hoorah

Quote from: NC Hokie on February 15, 2010, 09:28:44 PM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 15, 2010, 09:17:56 PM
You did not ask for prices in your first post, and I really do not have the time to do this for you.  I've given you the where (eBay, Vanguard, Wal-Mart, etc.), but it's ultimately your responsibility to find the exact products and prices that meet your needs.  That said, a budget of $300.00 is more than sufficient to equip yourself with an adequate 24-hour pack, so you shouldn't worry that you'll need to sacrifice quality to stay within your budget.
Ranger Joes is more expensive.

Pylon

Cadet Williams,

There are dozens of places to buy this gear.  Some will be cheaper, some will be better quality.  There's no limit on the upper end of how much you can spend on what some people will call "snivel gear."  Sometimes you don't need the best quality item, you just need whatever does the job.  It depends.

Lt. Hess's recommendations were spot on.  Search around on eBay (that's www.ebay.com) for maybe a used Alice pack or LBV (load bearing vest).  For the cheapest, most basic option, this will get the job done and, also as Lt. Hess already pointed out, you should probably be able to get one of these setups fairly cheap.  Maybe under $30.

If you have room in your budget, get a better pack.  My advice is get the best pack you can afford, because it will affect your comfortableness in the field, how long it will last, and the ease with which you can store and access your stuff.      What pack you select also depends on how much gear you need to haul, how often you plan on realistically using the stuff, how hard you'll be using it and in what conditions.   For example, I am not a GT guy but I needed a pack for doing bivouacs with cadets several times a year at max, and settled on a 3-day pack pretty similar in price/size/setup to this one.  It works really well for me.  If I was trucking a full GTM1 load around, and was keeping up a serious GT OPSTEMPO, I'd probably have a much different pack.

Since you're talking about ground team stuff, and you can't be a GTM trainee (nor really have a ground team) without a Ground Team Leader around, ask your GTL what he or she thinks works best for your ground team in your area for your OPSTEMPO.  Your GTL will know better what type of pack you should realistically need.  If there's no GTL around to ask, that's probably a sign you won't need any of this gear.

As for cheap gear (like the signal mirror, light sticks, wooden matches or lighter, duct tape, pen flashlight, mini flashlight, flagging tape, and poncho) you can probably find cheaper at your local Walmart, sporting goods store or hardware store than you will be able to on the Internet.  Some of that stuff you might even be able to get at a Dollar Store (flagging tape, lighters, duct tape, maybe even light sticks).

If you want to look for comparable prices, or window shop, see the price list for OLC (http://olcnet.com/), CheaperThanDirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com), USCav (http://uscav.com/), Dicks Sporting Goods (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/) and similar websites.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hoorah

Quote from: Pylon on February 15, 2010, 09:37:10 PM
Cadet Williams,

There are dozens of places to buy this gear.  Some will be cheaper, some will be better quality.  There's no limit on the upper end of how much you can spend on what some people will call "snivel gear."  Sometimes you don't need the best quality item, you just need whatever does the job.  It depends.

Lt. Hess's recommendations were spot on.  Search around on eBay (that's www.ebay.com) for maybe a used Alice pack or LBV (load bearing vest).  For the cheapest, most basic option, this will get the job done and, also as Lt. Hess already pointed out, you should probably be able to get one of these setups fairly cheap.  Maybe under $30.

If you have room in your budget, get a better pack.  My advice is get the best pack you can afford, because it will affect your comfortableness in the field, how long it will last, and the ease with which you can store and access your stuff.      What pack you select also depends on how much gear you need to haul, how often you plan on realistically using the stuff, how hard you'll be using it and in what conditions.   For example, I am not a GT guy but I needed a pack for doing bivouacs with cadets several times a year at max, and settled on a 3-day pack pretty similar in price/size/setup to this one.  It works really well for me.  If I was trucking a full GTM1 load around, and was keeping up a serious GT OPSTEMPO, I'd probably have a much different pack.

Since you're talking about ground team stuff, and you can't be a GTM trainee (nor really have a ground team) without a Ground Team Leader around, ask your GTL what he or she thinks works best for your ground team in your area for your OPSTEMPO.  Your GTL will know better what type of pack you should realistically need.  If there's no GTL around to ask, that's probably a sign you won't need any of this gear.

As for cheap gear (like the signal mirror, light sticks, wooden matches or lighter, duct tape, pen flashlight, mini flashlight, flagging tape, and poncho) you can probably find cheaper at your local Walmart, sporting goods store or hardware store than you will be able to on the Internet.  Some of that stuff you might even be able to get at a Dollar Store (flagging tape, lighters, duct tape, maybe even light sticks).

If you want to look for comparable prices, or window shop, see the price list for OLC (http://olcnet.com/), CheaperThanDirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com), USCav (http://uscav.com/), Dicks Sporting Goods (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/) and similar websites.
New problem I hate money orders so I would have to use prepaid credit card's.

Hoorah

Here is what I will do I will search every forum for SAR gear.

Al Sayre

Here is a good place to start:  http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php
They have about 95% of what you need for reasonable prices.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Williams, Have you ever heard the parable that starts off with "you can give a man a fish...?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

Williams.

Read this thread in another forum on how to put your gear together...you'll enjoy it.  Click here.

Read this thread in another forum on how to put your medical kit together...you'll enjoy it.  Click here.
Serving since 1987.

Pumbaa

How about you learn to use the search option, and how about you take initiative rather than suck the blood out of others?

You have a lot to learn boy.

Hoorah

Strick

heres what I recommend,

go with wardens, you cant beat the prices.  Good quality gear from good to excellent conditions.  Rest of the stuff you will need you can find in the camping section of wal-mart.
[darn]atio memoriae

Hoorah

I have made my final decision do not deter my final decision.

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Rotorhead

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:28:06 AM
Don't ask for comments if yo don't want to hear them.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Hoorah

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 16, 2010, 01:42:32 AM
I want to hear comments just not on changing my final decision.

JayT

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 01:43:57 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 16, 2010, 01:42:32 AM
I want to hear comments just not on changing my final decision.

So what do you want comments on? Congrats Airman Williams, you've made some great choices for gear you'll never use.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."