Main Menu

ICS 300/400

Started by Stroke, October 16, 2008, 02:45:27 AM

Stroke

I am beginning to hear a lot more about ICS 300/400/100/200, but am having trouble finding a regulation/instruction/policy letter covering where this "requirement" is coming from an who it applies to.  I have 3 questions:
1.  Who does this apply to most?
2.  Where is it written that we must c/w this training?
3.  How can we get into the necessary classes? 
Thanks for all your help!
Humble - Credible - Approachable

JoeTomasone

Eclipse

100/200/700/800 are online open-book test situations from FEMA's website.

300/400 are in-person classes, generally 2-3 days, and mostly provided by local ES agencies like PD/FD and SAR councils.
They aren't hard to find, and are usually free to the participants, however the challenge for CAP people is that they are almost always offered during normal business hours on weekdays.

Some limited opportunities may be available on weekends if your area has volunteer or POC personnel, as both generally
have the same "real job" problems as CAP members.  I was lucky enough to be able to connect a number of my people with just such a situation.  If you find a weekend class, grab it, because they are rare.

In a perfect world, your Wing/Group/Unit ES Officer should have the connections for access to these classes.

As a quick rule of thumb:

100/200/700 - required for all members involved in ES

300/800 - Branch Directors or higher

400 - recommended for Section chiefs and Higher, required for MSO & LO

A table in the .pdf above has more detail.

And yes, unless a change or extension is made, any rating you have which requires the indicated ICS course, turns into a pumpkin on 01/01/01 0000, if you haven't taken the course and substantiated it with your Wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

http://mdcap.org/UserFiles/File/ESdocs/NIMS_Training_Memo_-_Final_April_2008.pdf

Here you go.

Contact your local city/state Emergency Services people about when they are having the training.  Most state level ES organisations hold the training 4-5 times a year.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

isuhawkeye

I am hosting ICS 300 classes in Central Iowa on

November 22nd, 23rd

and

Jan 10th, 11th

Come on out if you like.  There is no charge for the class

JoeTomasone

Iowa's a bit far from me, durnit!

I did my ICS-800 online last night.  It was quick, easy, and lo-cal!

Now to find an ICS-300 as it and 800 are required for CUL.

Larry Mangum

A new CAPR 60-3 is being prepped for release by NHQ that covers this.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

KyCAP

The Center for Domestic Preparedness (funded by DHS) is teaching these courses all over the place FOR FREE on WEEKENDS.

https://cdp.dhs.gov/

I just finished ICS 300.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: KyCAP on October 17, 2008, 02:55:37 AM
The Center for Domestic Preparedness (funded by DHS) is teaching these courses all over the place FOR FREE on WEEKENDS.

https://cdp.dhs.gov/

I just finished ICS 300.

All the courses I see on their calendar are weekday courses with a Sunday travel day.

How do you tell where the class is?

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

Here's another resource to find ICS classes around Iowa. 
http://www.iowarespondertraining.com/
Eclipse: they have a number of 300 and 400 classes that might work for you.  After all davenport is only a 3 hour drive (much shorter flight) from chicago

Eclipse

We've got plenty of opportunities in IL, the issue is getting people to go, however if there are weekend classes still running in 2008, I'd like to let people know - I didn't see any on the site above.

"That Others May Zoom"

ctrossen

I'm running an ICS-300 & -400 on Nov 22-23 at Volk Field, WI (West Central Wisconsin). Cost is $35 preregistered ($40 at the door), which includes meals (billeting is free).

The course is open to anyone who needs it. Eclipse--for your folks in the northern part of the state, it's not that far away.

Anyone interested can PM me with their e-mail address for details.
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

RiverAux

How in the world are you doing both of them in 2 days?

Eclipse

Quote from: ctrossen on October 17, 2008, 05:07:52 PM
I'm running an ICS-300 & -400 on Nov 22-23 at Volk Field, WI (West Central Wisconsin). Cost is $35 preregistered ($40 at the door), which includes meals (billeting is free).

The course is open to anyone who needs it. Eclipse--for your folks in the northern part of the state, it's not that far away.

Anyone interested can PM me with their e-mail address for details.

Yes, I'm interested as well, mine was 3 days for 300 alone.

Also, who else is being invited outside CAP?  Taking the class in an agency agnostic environment is really the way to do it.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Maybe he meant they are both being offered at the same time and place, but in different classrooms?

ctrossen

Quote from: RiverAux on October 17, 2008, 05:58:31 PM
Maybe he meant they are both being offered at the same time and place, but in different classrooms?

Indeed. Two different courses, same weekend, same place.

We have had non-CAP participation in the past, but mostly we're talking volunteer folks like us.
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

Stonewall

Quote from: JoeTomasone on October 16, 2008, 05:16:18 PMNow to find an ICS-300 as it and 800 are required for CUL.

I'll be at the ICS-300 in Venice on 17-18 Jan.

You may want to see if slots are available.  I know it's not too far from you.
Serving since 1987.

PaulR

For you all taking the 300/400 classes, bring lots of coffee!  You will need it!!  The bad part is that there IS a test at the end!

isuhawkeye

Not necessarily.  Iowa does not require the test