Proposed Communications Training Curriculum

Started by CAP.is.1337, April 11, 2008, 07:28:24 AM

♠SARKID♠

Now THIS sounds like training that you can sink your teeth into!  I couldn't stand how I got done with B-CUT for the first time and went, "I don't understand a thing of what was just taught."  For the longest time I've wanted the comm training to be "get a HAM license, then you'll understand things" but this sounds like a plan that will actually get some people trained in how to use and work with radios.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: arajca on September 11, 2008, 02:13:09 AM

So, in your 'just' world, we would not have CAP communications because the hams would do it for us?

It's kind of interesting, because, IIRC, ham EMCOMM used CAP as a model when it began.

No, we would have comms for our mission just as fire, police, Red Cross, et al do.   Hams would help us intercommunicate and pass information when or where we cannot.   if you are in a Katrina-like disaster and need to communicate with a Mission Base that is well outside VHF range and you don't have HF, why not allow hams to pass it on HF and hand-off to a CAP member at the Mission Base or within range of it?

I doubt that ham EMCOMM was derived from CAP because it would be a mostly invalid model for the way that hams work - and certainly they don't resemble each other today.

As far as training goes, I'll have to look at what's being proposed - I know that I'm not a big fan of the way it works now.   

IceNine

^ Even if EMCOMM was designed from CAP, they have FAR surpassed our capabilities in every way.

So much as I thought, this thing took off like a stallion out of the gates, and then just kinda quit half way around the track.

I sure how this picks back up
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

tribalelder

When you look at how CAP had been deployed in the past, in effect, we  were generally a subcontractor to the USAF.  The USAF's entire involvement, from mission coordinator down the chain was ALL in CAP's hands.  For E/S, our Comm program was part of CAP's mission infrastructure.Our missions were CAP Comm's only mission customer; in contrast, Hams became other services' backup E/S comm system.

WIWAC, in the pre and early days of ELT's, back when half our radios had tubes, there were several 'big' missions/year.  With ELT's, instead, we went to about 50 little missions/year.  Over time, it gets hard to train, retain and prepare for 'the big one' when most missions are 1 aircrew team/2 UDF guys.  Those UDF guys are now dispatched by cell phone.  So much for infrastructure independence. 

Adopting ICS, like the mostly full time paid E/S er's and instituting Nat'l qualification standards made multi wing expeditionary responses like Katrina possible.  While the firefighters were in hotels in Atlanta, younger, tougher, healthier guys I'd had a little part in training were camping on a taxiway and serving on the 'big one'.

We need to get a comm program that can support an expeditionary CAP.  Not all of us belong in the disaster area, but there's a lot to do to get ready at our home units and wings. 

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

desertengineer1

I think folks need to understand that emergency services, like society and people, changes as a function of it's environment.  Organizations (and people) need to change according to that function.

Here's my take on a couple of things..

1.  Similar to real estate, the RF spectrum is no longer a limitless, "manefest destiny" resource.  We now have 6+ billion people in the world.  Add technology evolutions and the explosion of services to the increased infrastructure demands, and you get spectral and information requirements thousands of times what it used to be.  Analog voice CANNOT be supported by these spectral demands.  This is just one step.  There will be many more to come.  VHF will eventually go away as well, just not in the near future.  CAP leaders must be ready to engage with the changes, not trail behind them.

2.  The days of vacuum tube and transistor radios are gone.  I enjoyed the ride as much as any other hobbiest, but we need to face the reality that new technology requires new equipment.  Gone are the days of privately owned equipment.  If a member wants to pay $1500 for a radio, it's OK.  But they need to understand there's a 99% chance that radio will be CAP only due to the current rules.  HF might have a little more leeway, but I expect those rules to eventually align with VHF.  I doubt the average member can afford an $8,000 ALE system.  Again, I loved being able to talk to Joe a local 2 meter repeater, and then switch over an monitor a CAP mission - but those days are gone.

3.  DOD has always been the owner of these frequencies, and we've enjoyed a really good independance few other agencies/users had.  We have to follow the rules set forth by the "boss", and this is (IMHO) the best way we can expedite.  Members need to understand that these kinds of shifts require flexibility, in addition to high levels of patience.  There will be stumbling blocks.  We will have to make heading adjustments, and people will not be happy about them.  Understand that we're doing the best we can given the resources we have.

4.  I've listened to a significant amount of groaning about this transition, and expected it.  With any large organization, change can be painful, and I understand.  But I'm going to be honest about a something, and apologize if it sounds a little edgy.  A significant number of those complaints contain things like "Back in my day", or "XXXX is a stupid idea" where XXXX has been outlawed by 100-1 for 20+ years.  The best one I've heard so far is "What are the aircrew going to do?  They need to know the frequencies!!!!".  Folks, you need to get over it.  Per the entries above, you don't have a choice, and just complaining about it makes it worse for everyone else trying to make things work.  Worse, many of the folks complaining as above are doing only that - complaining.  When they are asked to actually put in a few hours to help their overworked counterparts and make things right (i.e. be part of the team), what do you think happens?  Yep - you don't hear a peep out of them, and more work falls on the one or two people making it happen.  IMHO, you need to earn the right to complain - but that's just me. 

5.  Everyone (specifically Aircrew) needs to accept that the communications plan will no longer be an "oh by the way" tag on the end of a SAREX brief by the IC.  In addition to accepting the new technology, you will now have to fully eat from the "interoperability" plate that everyone has been asking for these past 10 years.  For aircrew, I think it's going to be much easier than before.  You'll select a channel according to the op plan and talk.  That's it.  You managed to learn the G1000 glass cockpit systems in record time, I think you can learn how to use a new radio.

Above all, take the time to learn the regs and get involved - because you have no choice. You choose to be the receiver behind the curve, or be part of the change. Talk to your comm officers.  If they are not familiar with what's going on, then they need to be prodded accordingly.  If they forthrightly don't want to accept the changes, you need to find another comm officer.  Sorry for the attitude, but we can't risk mission failure because someone didn't personally agree with how the rules were issued.   

Major Carrales

Quote from: lordmonar on April 11, 2008, 06:47:05 PM

Right now the A-CUT/B-CUT classes are full of stuff most comm users do not need and do not contain enough practical training on how to use the radios.

I agree, while it has lots of good stuff...the focus is not on using radios as much as a large overview.  Maybe some COMM Drills...like a driving test, a written test and then a "drive."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

In the ROA classes I teach, BCUT is done from a CD, under the supervision of a qualified instructor. It teaches the basic material needed to operate a radio.

The ACUT class has two segments: the first is the classroom instruction, presenting the material provided from NHQ; the second is a tabletop exercise simulating the comm aspects of a mission, and includes hands-on use of ISRs. The whole thing takes about 7 hrs, including lunch.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on September 12, 2008, 02:50:11 AM
In the ROA classes I teach, BCUT is done from a CD, under the supervision of a qualified instructor. It teaches the basic material needed to operate a radio.

The ACUT class has two segments: the first is the classroom instruction, presenting the material provided from NHQ; the second is a tabletop exercise simulating the comm aspects of a mission, and includes hands-on use of ISRs. The whole thing takes about 7 hrs, including lunch.

Our general COMM training for cadets is sort of "on going." 

We start by intoducing them to the Phonetic Alphabet via a "game."  The cadets get in a circle and get a rythm going, they then call out a letter to which the next cadet has to provide the phonetic response.  Thus...  one cadet says "A," the next cadet says "Alpha" followed by a random letter (such as "B"), to which the next cadet replies (Bravo).  Thsi continues until someone breaks time.

We also introduce them to PROWORD et al via homework, then run the "COMM SPEAK" in person.

In time we use FRS radios, in a training setting with almost no identifiable CAP connection) when communicating at CAP STATION KINGSVILLE or CAP STATION CORPUS CHRISTI.  This allows the practice of the PROWORDS and bulds confidence.

By the time BCUT comes around, they can enter it with prior knowlegde.  It doesn't just go "over their head."

Then they are ready for ISRs and "THE BIG LEAGUE," MRO training at a SARex an dRadio NET drills preformed by our COMMS officer.

ACUT follows after lots of practice and experience.

That, of course, takes a while, but the results have been pretty good. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NavLT

The training in communications had been an evolving but complicated issue.  The Old ROA course was distributed but no instructor requirements were given with it.  BCUT and ACUT came out but were hidden at NTC which the rank and file barely know exist. Hopefully this online training will eliminate the instructor quality/quantity issue and make it more accessable.

I still don't see alot of non-radio communications training.  The navy merged Data and Radio comms into IT.  For a very small cost you can deploy an alpha numeric paging system to an encampment with a central computer message app and get messages to key staff without tying up a radio channel but nobody does it because......its not communications (Radio).

V/R
LT J.

ThorntonOL

They'll probably need to rewrite the specialty Track for Communications if they get the BCUT and ACUT put on through Blackboard and with the updated regs.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

arajca

As I understand the plan:
The current Communications Officer specialty track will be ended. In its place will be a new track, Communications Adminstrative Manager, with a new badge, etc. This will allow the old rating to remain for those who have it - this would otherwise affect many comm personnel who only have a comm rating. The new track and position will more accurately reflect what the comm officer actually does, which is manage the system, not build radios.

BCUT and ACUT will be going away. the ICUT will replace BCUT and a new "Permit Holders" module will replace ACUT.

As for a "very small cost", remember that ANY cost like that will come from the members pockets. Getting a paging system that is used for one week (about) per year is a significant WASTE of limited funds. That has more to do with no one doing it than because "its (sic) not communications (Radio)."

ThorntonOL

So how far are they with it this proposed system and where can I find more information on it?
NY-292

lordmonar

Not a hit on the comm types (I do that as a profession) but CAP's Comm program has suffered because it is one of the last empires to be forced to open up.

Comms has always been a close hold program.  Only the wing Director of Comms can authorise BCUT instructors only the wing Director of comms can give the ACUT class.

Getting a BCUT/ACUT is sometimes like pulling teeth and the training I got was next to useless.

I have always said that BCUT should be a powerpoint slide show with an online test.  ACUT should be a personal brief with they unit commander/unit comm guy and a simple form to get your call sign.

I like the new system (when it comes out).  Hopefully we will see it soon.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JoeTomasone

Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2009, 10:45:32 PM
Comms has always been a close hold program.  Only the wing Director of Comms can authorise BCUT instructors only the wing Director of comms can give the ACUT class.

Depends on which Wing you're in.   I am authorized to teach both BCUT and ACUT, as are several others in the Wing.    Our DC has reasonable criteria for those wishing to be approved.

ThorntonOL

Never mind the where can I find the information, found it underneath the proposed new communications reg that's up for review.
Now another question, those of us with Advanced ROAs, how does this new ICUT affect us?
Are we grandfathered in or do we like everyone else have to take this new training?
NY-292

SarDragon

Quote from: NavLT on September 12, 2008, 01:56:04 PMThe navy merged Data and Radio comms into IT.

That was done to eliminate the increasing duplication of effort among the consolidated ratings. PCS assignments are still done by NEC (AFSC/MOS for the other service folks), as is done in many other ratings with broad equipment involvement.

What we have going on in CAP is movement in the other direction, so some specialization is being introduced. This will help get rid of the "one class fits all" situation we currently have, which doesn't do a good job for anyone.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 02, 2009, 11:15:33 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2009, 10:45:32 PM

Depends on which Wing you're in. I am authorized to teach both BCUT and ACUT, as are several others in the Wing. Our DC has reasonable criteria for those wishing to be approved.

Same here. I walked in the door with an instructor certification, and significant experience in electronics maintenance. They drafted me to teach almost immediately. I attended a class, assisted teaching a second, and went for the gusto after that. I've been teaching ROA classes for about 8 years now, and loving every minute of it. I, for one, can't wait for the new curricula to hit the street.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ops Guy

SarDragon

So's Labor Day. We've been hearing the same story for a buncha years now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NavLT

The ICut program looks ok on the surface.  I liked the idea of a multi tiered approach to the skill set BCut to use a radio, ACut to have a radio station.  The problem I have seen is that Comm is working on things in blocks and the coordination is not there.  The Specialty Track, ES qual, ICut/Acut/Bcut training and the physical assets need to be worked into a concurrent plan. 

We have people that want to do Comm specialty track training but are held up by the "communications meetings and communications exercises" which happen how often???.  We have people that want Comm Training for ES but find the SAR missions lack planning to flex comm skills (most recently op orders from wing have stated all teams must have a cell phone since comms are less than reliable).  We have people that want to train in Comm for the sake of professional growth but with the NTIA narrow band our wing asset list is now 1/10th what it was, wing no longer puts out anything over comm nets and field teams are being handed ISR radios with no range or repeater or Air to Ground for field work. 

And last but not least is the "Closed" comm mentality where they avoided pager, cell phone, email and web page communications until they created IT to handle them and now they have largely been left in the corner playing with their radios by themselves.  Unfortunately we still plan on leaning on them when the bomb drops and modern comm don't workbut now they done'play much with the real missions and ICs.

V/R
LT J