What sort of vehicle should we be driving?

Started by RiverAux, March 11, 2008, 11:54:11 PM

DNall

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 16, 2008, 06:43:27 PM
Are you guys planning to drive these vehicles or is this meant for some other topic?

Meaning the planes, command vehicles, or various GT vehicles that have been mentioned?

The consensus that seems to have been reached is that the current fleet of vans are appropriate to the reality of what we're currently doing - which is not 4 wheelin it thru a fresh disaster zone. We're better off relying on member owned POVs for that capability. In that light there's some suggestions made, most of which are a compromise between room, capability, and fuel efficiency.

On the other hand, there are some vehicles that CAP could benefit greatly from in small but strategically positioned quantities. That being command vehicles & a few larger capacity aircraft.

SAR-EMT1

Agreed.  ... As to earlier when I threw out the C-130. We wouldnt necessarily need to train anyone. Im sure there are a handful of folks in CAP who are rated to fly it or maintain it. Cost is another matter.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

afgeo4

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 17, 2008, 08:46:16 PM
Agreed.  ... As to earlier when I threw out the C-130. We wouldnt necessarily need to train anyone. Im sure there are a handful of folks in CAP who are rated to fly it or maintain it. Cost is another matter.

These folk are very few and very far between and given that they're all volunteers, it would be VERY difficult in the least to get them all in one place at one time. That, plus the fact that they would have to be current in the C-130 meaning that they are currently in the military (Res/ANG)... just won't happen. Nor will them spending many hours driving/flying to the base to then fly for a few hours (crew rest scheduling must be properly maintained)... Nah. Doesn't make any sense.

I wish my squadron had a sea plane. We actually have a ramp for it. We're on a base that used to operate Coast Guard, Navy and NYPD sea planes.

As far as vehicles go (back on topic), I think units need to request specific types of vehicles that they can actually use in their areas. Heavy ES units should be able to ask for SAR trucks (F-350 HD Crew Cab with SAR work compartments in back and a space to secure a litter). Like cadet squadrons need large passenger vehicles (former military green/blue school buses). Commo-heavy units need communication vans (like old USAF crew vans or AN/MSR 1 Misery Com Intercept Van). They should be able to request such vehicles and then CAP should keep these lists in mind when requesting vehicles from USAF.

I think USAF would rather see specific work-related vehicles in need rather than, "hey, just give me something with wheels..." type of thing. Maybe they'll think we actually do work?! Naah... that's too easy.
GEORGE LURYE

JohnKachenmeister

A C-130 for IACE?

By the time it got to some country, it would be time to go home.  Those planes are slower than a Florida blue-hair on I-95.

The C-130 is the only plane in which the pilot has to worry about bird strikes from the rear.

The vans are fine.  If you want to supplement the vans, a good crew-cab pickup would work.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 18, 2008, 09:16:04 PM
Those planes are slower than a Florida blue-hair on I-95.

Sir??  Florida Blue-Hair??

Anyway, I would love to see the GSA support CAP more.  Does anyone remember about 7 years ago when the GSA and CAP-USAF/ NHQ were working out a contract for CAP to use GSA fleet on AFAM and other similar activities?  I think it failed because the Corporate Lawyers shot it down. 

I would like to see more DOD vehicular support for thinks like Encampments.  WE don't need a CAP fleet of vehicles, we can easily make use of DOD or GSA vehicles. 
What's up monkeys?