Pacific Partnership: A Working Vacation Opportunity

Started by sandman, August 26, 2007, 10:10:30 AM

sandman

Kach,

Good points and good advice. The checklist I posted was just a "teaser". There are many more details to post which will be done soon enough.

Much of what is needed is outlined in an existing MOU that I have. The MOU is from a NGO to the Navy and is very well suited for this operation.

The AF and CAP NHQ shouldn't have too much heartache about giving a "go" to this operation, after all, this kind of thing is what CAP is really all about. We're just extending it beyond the borders of CONUS. Besides, the PR value alone would be incredible.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

JC004

Quote from: sandman on August 28, 2007, 11:16:17 AM
We're just extending it beyond the borders of CONUS. Besides, the PR value alone would be incredible.

So those "US Civil Air Patrol" tapes will come in handy?   ;D

afgeo4

May I see a list of nations and time requirements for "cuises" leaving from the East Coast?
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: sandman on August 26, 2007, 10:10:30 AM
I've been thinking about the program I'm involved with here onboard the USS Peleliu. The ship has travel from San Diego to Hawaii, Guam, the Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, the Marshall Islands, and finally returning to San Diego via Pearl Harbor.

The mission is to provide humanitarian care to the population of the areas visited (except Singapore, that was a liberty port!).

All along the way we had U.S. and foreign military members embark and disembark. We also had many, many civilian members embark and disembark as well.

These humanitarian service missions are projected to go on for quite awhile (barring changes due to election 2008).

My focus is on the civilian groups. Groups such as Project Hope, Aloha Medical, and Project Smile among others.

After having talked with the JAG and several key members, it would seem that any group could conceiveably volunteer for this mission as long as certain criteria are met. The criteria are covered in memorandum of understanding and signed by the Pacific Fleet Commander (easy to get) and the representative from the group. I have that MOU.

I asked about a group (specifically CAP) volunteering in uniform (BDU's, BBDU's, CAP AF uniforms, TPU's) and there was no problem. (Polo shirts are welcome and encouraged too!)

The volunteer would pay for his/her own airfare to point of embarkation and from point of debarkation. No cost for the "three hots and a cot" while onboard. Actually, there are four "hots" (midrats), all the soda and coffee you can drink, popcorn every night, special snacks on Friday nights (ice cream social, pizza, nacho night, etc), and of course several steel beach picnics with all the food you can eat!

I guess I should mention AFN TV, movie nights, phone capability, internet and e-mail. Cigar smokouts on the fantail. Church is held onboard of course and the Chaplain gives the nightly benediction (Any Chaplains willing to serve?? We could use your assistance as well!!)

I wanted to put a trial balloon up to see if any CAP members might want to have a "working vacation" as a volunteer or know another CAP member that might be interested! The opportunities are on the East coast and West coast onboard a US warship or USNS/MSC ship (USNS Mercy and Comfort).

People needed include Doctors, Dentists, PA's, NP's, CRNA's, RN's, Environmental Health, basically any medically related dicipline (even EMT's).

Also needed are able-bodied members to help out with community relations projects (play "football" with the kids, help with construction projects, etc).

Often there are civilians who serve as the officer in charge or assistant officer in charge of a medical civil assistance program (MEDCAP). You can be placed in "charge" of real military members....believe it or not (don't let it get to your head ;))

People can go as individuals or small/large groups. Some volunteers stay for a week, some for the whole four months.

Any takers? Any constructive thoughts on this?

Thanks!
v/r
LT

In a word, sign me up. Seriously.
I do have three questions though:
Vaccinations prior to embarkation?
I know wearing a CAP  uniform is doubtful, but what about my USCG Aux Uniform?
Is there a deadline to sign up for this?
PM me with all details.
As long as I have orders to report (even if Im vollunteering) I can get away from work indefinately.
Thank you.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Trouble

Sign me up!

A Short Det. would be great.  I need a vacation.   This would be a terrific assignment for US CAP Officers.  Hope you get this approved and it sees the light of day. Could open the doors to more of these type of Opportunities develop over time.
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

sandman

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 28, 2007, 03:56:21 PM
May I see a list of nations and time requirements for "cuises" leaving from the East Coast?

George,

I'll get back to you on that soon. Thanks for your interest! The platform that is currently underway is the USNS Comfort. You can follow thier progress via their website.

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 28, 2007, 04:32:40 PM
In a word, sign me up. Seriously.
I do have three questions though:
Vaccinations prior to embarkation?
I know wearing a CAP  uniform is doubtful, but what about my USCG Aux Uniform?
Is there a deadline to sign up for this?
PM me with all details.
As long as I have orders to report (even if Im vollunteering) I can get away from work indefinately.
Thank you.

I am still working on the details but will keep you updated as I can. I am also considering bringing this proposal to the CGAUX side too. I have talked with the "medical director" before. Again, I'll let you know! Thanks for your interest!

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

davedove

Quote from: sandman on August 28, 2007, 04:00:05 AM
My focus will be to challange the USAF to meet its mission statement as written in the CAP-USAF website (emphasis added):

QuoteOur Mission
Guide, Assist, and provide Oversight to the Air Force's Auxiliary, the Civil Air Patrol, as they serve America by performing Homeland Security and humanitarian missions for our communities, states, and nation; developing our country's youth; and educating our citizens on the importance of air and space power.

One hangup might be going into other nations as CAP.  It would certainly work in Hawaii, and possibly Guam, a US territory, but I don't know how the other locations would work.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

sandman

Quote from: davedove on August 28, 2007, 07:50:35 PM
One hangup might be going into other nations as CAP.  It would certainly work in Hawaii, and possibly Guam, a US territory, but I don't know how the other locations would work.

I understand what you mean and that is always a possibility. Reading the regs allows for CAP uniforms to be worn into foreign nations for activities such as IACE.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1most foreign governments prohibit the wear of military uniforms by
visitors. Members will not wear a CAP uniform in a foreign country
except for members on orders to participate in the International Air
Cadet Exchange or other international events for which National
Headquarters has expressly authorized the wearing of the uniform.
Members of CAP cadet squadrons overseas wear the CAP uniform
on the host military installation only upon approval of the installation
commander in accordance with CAPR 35-4, Overseas Cadet
Squadrons.

So here is what we have to work with:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1except for members on orders to participate [in] other international events for which National
Headquarters has expressly authorized the wearing of the uniform

Here is the caveat:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1visiting military installations. Members will make every effort to
comply with local installation uniform policy.
If policy is not
known, the CAP-USAF state director or the installation's public
affairs office may be contacted for guidance.

Being aboard a US Naval vessel I believe is "visiting military instillations". The local uniform policy will be known because it will be written in the MOU. If CAP-NHQ has a problem with going ashore wearing the CAP uniform (remember, you would still be with a military activity on an away team) then we can have CAP members wear a specific uniform combination for going ashore. On that note my two proposals would be: 1) wear of the US Navy jumpsuit appropriatly modified with CAP insignia or some other method of identification, or 2) Wear a printed T-shirt / blue BDU bottom combination (which is in use by some NGO participants currently).

I think this is still "do-able". I believe we can get CAP onboard with current uniform combinations. Although there are a variety of field and dress uniforms, maybe we can agree upon one standard for the mission, but that shouldn't be a show stopper if a variety of uniforms come aboard.

Maybe we can establish CAPTalk as an "overseas" CAP squadron and therefore:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1Members of CAP cadet squadrons overseas wear the CAP uniform
Squadrons

Afterall, CAPTalk is by far the largest "composite squadron" within CAP and one of the cutting edge e-squadrons..... ;D ;)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

mikeylikey

You Sir, are the proud parent of a new word.  E-Squadron.  Congratulations.  Expect the CAP Corporate lawyers to threaten you contact you about your new phrase.  I am sure they would be Happy to buy it from you!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

If CAP is on an AF authorized mission, then wear of the AF uniform is expected.  IACE is a cadet special activity, not an AFAM. 

I was in most of those countries, and always wore a US uniform there.
Another former CAP officer

sandman

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 28, 2007, 10:13:31 PM
You Sir, are the proud parent of a new word.  E-Squadron.  Congratulations.  Expect the CAP Corporate lawyers to threaten you contact you about your new phrase.  I am sure they would be Happy to buy it from you!

Don't know if the Black Vans can get to the pier or if they have jurisdiction on foreign soil.....have seen a Black Boat though.....
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

JC004

Quote from: sandman on August 28, 2007, 11:24:29 PM
Don't know if the Black Vans can get to the pier or if they have jurisdiction on foreign soil.....have seen a Black Boat though.....

WATCH OUT FOR THAT BOAT!

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 28, 2007, 10:20:11 PM
If CAP is on an AF authorized mission, then wear of the AF uniform is expected.  IACE is a cadet special activity, not an AFAM. 

I was in most of those countries, and always wore a US uniform there.
CAP members wear a corporate uniform, even it if is USAF style. All our uniforms are CAP uniforms and thus are corporate. That's why there's so much confusion among new members about the topic. Anyway... the regs state that CAP members shouldn't wear the uniform outside of the United States, but... I've seen pictures of our cadets wearing BDUs at a Canadian Airshow...
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: sandman on August 28, 2007, 08:24:18 PM
Quote from: davedove on August 28, 2007, 07:50:35 PM

I understand what you mean and that is always a possibility. Reading the regs allows for CAP uniforms to be worn into foreign nations for activities such as IACE.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1most foreign governments prohibit the wear of military uniforms by
visitors. Members will not wear a CAP uniform in a foreign country
except for members on orders to participate in the International Air
Cadet Exchange or other international events for which National
Headquarters has expressly authorized the wearing of the uniform.
Members of CAP cadet squadrons overseas wear the CAP uniform
Squadrons.

So here is what we have to work with:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1except for members on orders to participate [in] other international events for which National
Headquarters has expressly authorized the wearing of the uniform

Here is the caveat:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1visiting military installations. Members will make every effort to
comply with local installation uniform policy.
If policy is not
known, the CAP-USAF state director or the installation's public
affairs office may be contacted for guidance.

Being aboard a US Naval vessel I believe is "visiting military instillations". The local uniform policy will be known because it will be written in the MOU. If CAP-NHQ has a problem with going ashore wearing the CAP uniform (remember, you would still be with a military activity on an away team) then we can have CAP members wear a specific uniform combination for going ashore. On that note my two proposals would be: 1) wear of the US Navy jumpsuit appropriatly modified with CAP insignia or some other method of identification, or 2) Wear a printed T-shirt / blue BDU bottom combination (which is in use by some NGO participants currently).

I think this is still "do-able". I believe we can get CAP onboard with current uniform combinations. Although there are a variety of field and dress uniforms, maybe we can agree upon one standard for the mission, but that shouldn't be a show stopper if a variety of uniforms come aboard.

Maybe we can establish CAPTalk as an "overseas" CAP squadron and therefore:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1Members of CAP cadet squadrons overseas wear the CAP uniform
Squadrons

Afterall, CAPTalk is by far the largest "composite squadron" within CAP and one of the cutting edge e-squadrons..... ;D ;)
Two solutions... wear BDU's with "old" Civil Air Patrol tapes (without U.S.) and take of the US flag, thereby confusing all natives about which nation's CAP we really are or... polo shirts with blue bdu bottoms and black boots. Professional looking, representative, but non-combatant looking.
GEORGE LURYE

JohnKachenmeister

Since the Navy people are wearing Navy uniforms, why cant the Air Force people wear Air Force uniforms?  Use of the flag in overseas areas has been standard for the last 15 or 20 years.  It is just recently that wear of the flag on the uniform was allowed to continue in the US.  Before, the flag was put on for deployments, and removed upon return.  Seeing Americans wearing an American flag overseas is not unusual for foreigners.

Like I said, I wore an American uniform in most of those countries before.  I got a little negative feedback on it in Cua Viet, though.   
Another former CAP officer

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 29, 2007, 01:35:46 PM
Since the Navy people are wearing Navy uniforms, why cant the Air Force people wear Air Force uniforms?  Use of the flag in overseas areas has been standard for the last 15 or 20 years.  It is just recently that wear of the flag on the uniform was allowed to continue in the US.  Before, the flag was put on for deployments, and removed upon return.  Seeing Americans wearing an American flag overseas is not unusual for foreigners.

Like I said, I wore an American uniform in most of those countries before.  I got a little negative feedback on it in Cua Viet, though.   
Umm... Air Force people can wear the Air Force uniform. We're talking about CAP people who are not Air Force people.

Use of flag was standard on uniforms of the US Army. USAF did not normally and still does not normally wear the US flag on their uniform. They believe the fact that it says "US Air Force" is enough to identify them as such. Some units did make Airmen buy flags and attach them to left shoulders, above chevrons, but very few.

As such, you keep forgetting that we are civllians and should be identified as such when visiting other nations, especially when along side of military personnel.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

You guys are arguing what threads a theoretical person is going to wear if somebody volunteers for this, if the MOU gets worked out, and if NHQ leaves it up to the discretion of the individual (doubt it).  Think about it... this person would be in a sea of uniforms from the variety of Navy ones to other branches to foreign uniforms to the unofficial  uniforms of NGOs and IGOs, and all sorts of combinations thereof. 

A huge American ship pulls into port, flying an American flag with tons of U.S. Navy personnel wearing U.S. uniforms debarking the ship.

You think it really matters whether or not we have the American flag on our BDUs or not, or if we wear the BBDUs versus the BDUs because of what non-U.S. people might think?

Here's what I think.  I think it wouldn't matter.  I think it anybody actually volunteered their time to be on ship with the U.S. Navy doing true humanitarian work... work that others are getting paid to do... on their own dime and time, and CAP has approved the arrangement, I say they should be able to wear any of the combinations CAP has.  As if in a sea of hundreds of uniformed personnel, the one CAP guy in the crowd is somehow going to throw everything askew based on which CAP uniform combo he wears.   ::)

Seriously folks...  this is a very cool opportunity for CAP volunteers with spare time and dime to help out in the world in a really serious way and what do you all argue about?  Uniforms.   

Find something better (or how about productive?) to discuss about this awesome idea, would you?   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

^^ In this capacity, We would be AF AUX (AUX on) and thus, while being a civilian, still attached as AF.
Quote from: afgeo4 on August 29, 2007, 04:06:00 PM

Umm... Air Force people can wear the Air Force uniform. We're talking about CAP people who are not Air Force people.

Use of flag was standard on uniforms of the US Army. USAF did not normally and still does not normally wear the US flag on their uniform. They believe the fact that it says "US Air Force" is enough to identify them as such. Some units did make Airmen buy flags and attach them to left shoulders, above chevrons, but very few.

As such, you keep forgetting that we are civllians and should be identified as such when visiting other nations, especially when along side of military personnel.

Gee, we would be doing a military job as a member of a Military Auxiliary, working along-side of Military personnel.  So could we not be afforded the privilege of wearing our own uniforms.  We would be wearing them on ship.  So why would we change into "civies" before disembarking for visitation to Port?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: Pylon on August 29, 2007, 04:12:53 PM
Seriously folks...  this is a very cool opportunity for CAP volunteers with spare time and dime to help out in the world in a really serious way and what do you all argue about?  Uniforms.   

Find something better (or how about productive?) to discuss about this awesome idea, would you?   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP