ES Specialty Qualifications

Started by Claar, September 15, 2014, 11:46:07 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 16, 2014, 08:46:29 PMif a member's 101 Card says GES and CERT on it, then that member is entitled to the ES Patch.

Can't argue it, but what's the point?

Congratulations!  You have taken an online test and completed training irrelevant to anything CAP does!

Here's NASCAR patch!

One of these days people are going to wake up and understand the counterproductive messages this kind of thing sends,
especially to cadets.

Poor little Pogo.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Camas, the OP asked a question. I answered with sarcasm.

You are the junior, as you do not have the knowledge or understanding to know the difference.

All of you arguing "it is a specialty."

Print the SQTR.

Now print other ES SQTRs.

You will see a big, big difference. On all SQTRs there is a space to sign mission participation. The CERT SQTR has no such lines. Why? It is not ready!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

jeders

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 16, 2014, 09:40:23 PM
On all SQTRs there is a space to sign mission participation. The CERT SQTR has no such lines. Why? It is not ready!

Or because we don't do the training in house (usually) and rely on outside agencies to do it. Or because the standards for it come from FEMA and the training is done to those standards, not an irrelevant CAP standard. Regardless, CERT is listed in CAPR 60-3 para. 2-3(f), which means it qualifies for the ES Patch. The fact that there is an SQTR means that it is ready and has been implemented and Note 4 is null and void.

Luis, I don't know you or your position in CAP, but if you are denying the ES patch for people who have GES and CERT, then you are wrong.

As to Eclipse's point about counterproductive messages, I think that's spot on. Many years ago when the ES patch was introduced, I believe pilots, observers, and ground teams were the ONLY people that got a special qualification badge; so the ES patch was a way of recognizing mission managers and base staff who didn't have any other bling. Over time, however, more and more qualifications have been given badges and the need for the ES patch is less and less all the time. I think that it might be time to either eliminate it or refocus it to get people to go further, though eliminating it would be my choice.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Storm Chaser

There are other SQTRs besides CERT that don't have mission/exercise participation, such as ADIS and GIIEP. In the case of CERT, the training is conducted outside of CAP, but it's still recognized as a CAP qualification in CAPR 60-3. The CAP Knowledgebase also confirms this.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2364/kw/cert

Luis R. Ramos

Storm, wrong example! Print the ADIS SQTR. It requires two supervisor signatures with two flights.

AFRCC SAR Mgmt Course is conducted, I thought, by the Air Force, no? So it is conducted by an outside agency and the SQTR still requires a signature!

So does the Inland SAR Course.

And both the AFRCC Mgmt Course and the Inland SAR Course are listed as ES Specialties. I have not taken either yet, so I ask, are they ES specialties? If not, then just because they are listed under ES specialties does not make everything under "ES specialty" an "ES specialty."

CERT is like Water Survival. Initially Water Survival was not an ES Specialty. Since 2012, curriculum  has been in development. now it is regarded. CERT is not very well defined yet.
Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

By the way, it has been debated here again and again that Knowledge Base is not regulatory nor is staffed by those experts in those regulations, they only interpret them like we here at CAPTalk do. So it should not be regarded as "the ultimate word."
Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Since several in here feel so strongly that CERT is an ES specialty, I will submit my CERT training and request it. I do not consider the online FEMA CERT class equivalent to the CERT class given by the NYC OEM consisting of several months, but hey! It is a FEMA class!!!

Once I authorized the CERT specialty SQTR for a squadron member that is studying out of state. He had a CERT certificate from the school he was studying. Stating what they did. And I requested the ES patch for him.

I also denied the CERT specialty SQTR request from another squadron member who like me only took the FEMA online class. Did not submit the ES patch for this person, either.

But since so many here feel so strongly, from now on I will approve all CERT requests. <Adding the SARCASM flag, before anyone misunderstand this!>

The SQTR curriculum should be fully developed, and if any entry under ES Specialty taught by an outside agency requires a signature, all should.
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

^ This just shows you how ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS this CERT nonsense really is.

There's no definition, so whatever the clicker feels works, works.

The intention, likely, was for members to complete the typical 40-hour, community provided
in-residence class and whatever testing goes with it, but now CAP is going to let
people who clicked an online class with 1/2-attention to deploy as a CERTS team.

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

Ground Team Training?  All that equipment and like a year of missions and stuff before I can do anything?
Why bother?  I just got muh CERTS! 

No time for backup, shoulder roll out the door!

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I would check with NHQ to see if the online only course counts at the CERT course.

I'm thinking....but I do not know for sure.....that the online course my only be part of the course.....with a hands course to add on.

I'm not CERT trained but several of my squadron mates are....and they all took week long training.

In fact the FEMA site even says
Quote"Introduction to Community Emergency Response Teams," IS-317, is an independent study course that serves as an introduction to CERT for those wanting to complete training or as a refresher for current team members. It has six modules with topics that include an Introduction to CERT, Fire Safety, Hazardous Material and Terrorist Incidents, Disaster Medical Operations and Search and Rescue. It takes between six and eight hours to complete the course. Those who successfully finish it will receive a certificate of completion.

IS-317 can be taken by anyone interested in CERT. However, to become a CERT volunteer, one must complete the classroom training offered by a local government agency such as the emergency management agency, fire or police department. Contact your local emergency manager to learn about the local education and training opportunities available to you. Let this person know about your interest in taking CERT training.

http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams/training-materials

So Luis....I agree that you should not be signing off on CERT training for those who only did the online course.

I would check with NHQ to be sure.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 17, 2014, 03:42:25 AM
Storm, wrong example! Print the ADIS SQTR. It requires two supervisor signatures with two flights.

AFRCC SAR Mgmt Course is conducted, I thought, by the Air Force, no? So it is conducted by an outside agency and the SQTR still requires a signature!

And both the AFRCC Mgmt Course and the Inland SAR Course are listed as ES Specialties. I have not taken either yet, so I ask, are they ES specialties? If not, then just because they are listed under ES specialties does not make everything under "ES specialty" an "ES specialty."

CERT is like Water Survival. Initially Water Survival was not an ES Specialty. Since 2012, curriculum  has been in development. now it is regarded. CERT is not very well defined yet.

Neither the Inland SAR course, nor the AFRCC course are ES specialties.

Here's the list where the regulation (60-3, 2-3f) says "The following are the approved emergency services specialty qualifications above the
GES level"
QuoteAerial Digital Imaging System Operator (ADIS). See notes 2 and 3.
• Airborne Photographer (AP). See See notes 2 and 3.
• Air Operations Branch Director (AOBD).
• ARCHER Operator (ARCHOPR). See note 1.
• ARCHER Trac Technician (ARCHTRK). See note 1.
• ARCHER Ground Station Operator (ARCHGSO). See notes 1 and 4.
• ARCHER Field Spectrometer Operator (ARCHSPEC) See note 1.
• Communications Unit Leader (CUL) – Any Level. See note 4.
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). See note 4.
• Cost Unit Leader (FCUL). See note 4.
• Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) – Any Level. See note 1.
• Finance/Administration Section Chief (FASC).
• Flight Line Marshaller (FLM).
• Flight Line Supervisor (FLS).
• Ground Branch Director (GBD).
• Ground Team Leader (GTL) – Any Level. See note 4.
• Ground Team Member (GTM) – Any Level. See note 4.
• Highbird Radio Operator (HRO). See note 4.
• Incident Commander (IC) – Any Level. See note 4.
• Liaison Officer (LO)
• Logistics Section Chief (LSC).
• Mission Chaplain (MC).
• Mission Information Technology (MIT). See note 4.
• Mission Observer (MO).
• Mission Radio Operator (MRO) – Any Level. See note 4 below.
• Mission Safety Officer (MSO).
• Mission Scanner (MS).
• Mission Staff Assistant (MSA).
• Mountain Flying Certification (MFC). See note 3.
• NOC Augmentee (NOCAUG). See note 1.
• Operations Section Chief (OSC).
• Planning Section Chief (PSC).
• Public Information Officer (PIO) – Any Level. See notes 4 and 5.
• Resources Unit Leader (RUL). See note 4.
• Search and Rescue/Disaster Relief Mission Pilot (MP).
• Situation Unit Leader (SUL). See note 4.
• Transport Mission Pilot (TMP).
• Unit Alert Officer (UAO)
• Urban Direction Finding Team (UDF). See note 4.
• Water Survival (WS). See note 3.
• Wing Alert Officer (WAO)

Note:  CERT is in there.

Eclipse

It also says "see note 4" which says it doesn't exist yet.

You have to read the whole reg, not cherry pick.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on September 17, 2014, 12:57:49 PM

The reg which was written and published two years ago when a CERT SQTR did not exist. The fact that there is now a SQTR in eServies means that it does exist and note 4 no longer applies.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on September 17, 2014, 12:57:49 PM

Also says "See note 4" for Incident Commander.

And the claim was that CERT was not identified by the regulation as a specialty qualification.  It is.  Specifically and in black-and-white.

Eclipse

Fine, then IC isn't either.

Right there in black and white.

What a mess.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 17, 2014, 04:22:26 AM
Since several in here feel so strongly that CERT is an ES specialty, I will submit my CERT training and request it. I do not consider the online FEMA CERT class equivalent to the CERT class given by the NYC OEM consisting of several months, but hey! It is a FEMA class!!!

Once I authorized the CERT specialty SQTR for a squadron member that is studying out of state. He had a CERT certificate from the school he was studying. Stating what they did. And I requested the ES patch for him.

I also denied the CERT specialty SQTR request from another squadron member who like me only took the FEMA online class. Did not submit the ES patch for this person, either.

But since so many here feel so strongly, from now on I will approve all CERT requests. <Adding the SARCASM flag, before anyone misunderstand this!>

The SQTR curriculum should be fully developed, and if any entry under ES Specialty taught by an outside agency requires a signature, all should.

The online CERT course is a pre-requisite to CERT training and it doesn't count by itself. CERT certification requires classroom and hands-on training.

Storm Chaser

The signature block on the SQTR is irrelevant. Point in case, AFRCC BISC and the Inland SAR Planning Course are courses not specialties and all they require for validation approval is a copy of the certificate. By your logic, qualification renewals require two exercise participation since the printed SQTRs have two signature block.

I suggest you contact your wing for clarification. As a fairly new unit commander, you should not be coming up with your own interpretation of a National program.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 17, 2014, 02:48:29 PM

The signature block on the SQTR is irrelevant. Point in case, AFRCC BISC and the Inland SAR Planning Course are courses not specialties and all they require for validation approval is a copy of the certificate. By your logic, qualification renewals require two exercise participation since the printed SQTRs have two signature block.

I suggest you contact your wing for clarification. As a fairly new unit commander, you should not be coming up with your own interpretation of a National program.

My GTM renewal required all the advanced tasks (none of the prep work), and 1 sortie, not two.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 17, 2014, 03:19:50 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 17, 2014, 02:48:29 PM

My GTM renewal required all the advanced tasks (none of the prep work), and 1 sortie, not two.

That's correct; that's all that's required for renewal. That said, when you print your GTM3 renewal SQTR (select the option at the bottom), the SQTR shows two signature blocks. That's what Capt Ramos was referring to when he mentioned the two mission participation for the ADIS SQTR.

Майор Хаткевич

At the bottom yes, but my line items only show:

Ground Team Member Level 3 - Exercise Participation
Exercise Participation-Ground Team Member #2

GrimReaper

This is the CERT program training.  A graduate is awarded a certificate and it should be uploaded to e-services

The CERT training for community groups is usually delivered in 2 1/2 hour sessions, one evening a week over a 7 week period. The training consists of the following:

Session I, DISASTER PREPAREDNESS: Addresses hazards to which people are vulnerable in their community. Materials cover actions that participants and their families take before, during and after a disaster. As the session progresses, the instructor begins to explore an expanded response role for civilians in that they should begin to consider themselves disaster workers. Since they will want to help their family members and neighbors, this training can help them operate in a safe and appropriate manner. The CERT concept and organization are discussed as well as applicable laws governing volunteers in that jurisdiction.
Session II, DISASTER FIRE SUPPRESSION: Briefly covers fire chemistry, hazardous materials, fire hazards and fire suppression strategies. However, the thrust of this session is the safe use of fire extinguishers, sizing up the situation, controlling utilities and extinguishing a small fire.
Session III, DISASTER MEDICAL OPERATIONS PART I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
Session IV, DISASTER MEDICAL OPERATIONS, PART II: Covers evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a medical treatment area, performing basic first aid and practicing in a safe and sanitary manner.
Session V, LIGHT SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATIONS: Participants learn about search and rescue planning, size-up, search techniques, rescue techniques and, most important, rescuer safety.
Session VI, DISASTER PSYCHOLOGY AND TEAM ORGANIZATION: Covers signs and symptoms that might be experienced by the disaster victim and worker. It addresses CERT organization and management principles and the need for documentation.
Session VII, COURSE REVIEW AND DISASTER SIMULATION: Participants review their answers from a take home examination. Finally, they practice the skills that they have learned during the previous six sessions in disaster activity.

During each session participants are required to bring safety equipment (gloves, goggles, mask) and disaster supplies (bandages, flashlight, dressings) which will be used during the session. By doing this for each session, participants are building a disaster response kit of items that they will need during a disaster.