MRO's days numbered?

Started by Eclipse, August 20, 2012, 10:21:04 PM

Fubar

Quote from: cap235629 on August 27, 2012, 06:39:40 AMAs a DC one of my biggest aggravations is the the (forgive me) HAM mindset.

Oh definitely. I've been through too many BCUT classes where the instructor starts talking about wavelengths and sub-audible tones. We also seem to have an issue where all the comm guys want the comm gear, instead of issuing it to ground team leaders and ICs.

But we do need people who know how to setup an antenna, why some wires are black and others are red, and other skills that are slightly technical.

wuzafuzz

Doing communications right, for the long haul, means we employ a variety of skill sets.  End users like aircrews and ground teams need their stuff to work and have other things to worry about than technical comm stuff.  MRO's are all about passing messages effectively and require little hardware "tech mojo.".

Right or wrong, CAP has chosen to house the management AND basic technical skills with CUL's.  They are part of the SQTR and associated task guides. 

It appears CAP is moving to separate the management from the technical tasks.  I think that's a good thing.  Technical skills are only one small part of the pie, but they are important to ensure we properly support our internal customers.  Ignore them long enough and things won't work properly.  Eventually missions will be affected and communications becomes a favorite scapegoat.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

When the proposed new comm structure hit the street oh so many years ago, this chart showed all the new positions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jhsmith400

We, in CAP, seem to have an issue with issuing guidelines for positions first then catching the training up later.  Separate is the way to go one operational position and other positions to take care to doing the tasks and to take care of the stuff.  I've heard the comment oh we can't have back ups since we don't have the equipment, at the same time radios are being issued to any and all.  The radios are assets for the good of the whole not as personal toys to sling on your belt to look more "mission operational".  The sooner many in our little "playgroups" >:D admit this the better for all, not that any on here would ever do this.