Flightline Marshaling - Training and SQTR Signoffs

Started by DAWHALEN, May 06, 2010, 04:11:36 AM

SJFedor

Quote from: davidsinn on May 07, 2010, 01:25:48 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 06, 2010, 09:23:00 PM
Quote from: heliodoc on May 06, 2010, 07:11:29 PM
Limiting people with the SET quals?

Well then, CAP better take the "SET test" out of the general ES testing area and start putting under the Commanders Restricted side of eServices, is that how we are to understand this?

IS there a SET Academy or FLM/FLS Academy in the US other than NESA?

Is that what it is going to come down to in CAP limiting SETs and trainers?

If that is going to happen...then there ought to a CAP funded SET Academy and FLS training site in every State?

Limiting the SET quals?? Better get it out of the ES test bank then to limit access....more of  "CAP power and control." >:D >:D >:D >:D

Never saw a "race" yet in CAP for sign offs  and really, like aerial detection, as I mentioned in another thread, FLM and FLS is NOT rocket science after one has spent it on some major military and civilian FBO ramps.

Only CAP could make a project out of something by "limiting" SET quals WOOOOW!!  Define a Professional job in CAP?  Is that civilian acquired skills that are transferred in to CAP from the outside or is it training acquired through only CAP? 

Better have some good definite reasons other than "signoff races" to limit SET quals.  The SET "exam" is so lame anyways that even a K-12 teacher could teach FLS / FLM skills.  Those folks HAVE the credentials to teach....CAP going to require college level education to teach as a SET?? How would one argue with that?  Does CAP need  CFI levels or does CAP need to make an exam to the tune of FAA AGI to even teach this skills??

I am surprised NESA doesn't have FLM/FLS training considering they have the MAS it would be perfect, I don't know how many CAP aircraft show up for NESA but I'd personally use NESA as a starting point to advance my training and hone it and if David Sinn were there FWIW I don't know him but I'd want him to be my instructor despite how mean he might be :P

Since you asked, NBB technically is the FLM/FLS school amongst other training that is available such as UDF

I'd love to go to NESA. I'm most interested in going to MAS and someday I'll get there. If we could run a week long flightline with 20+ airplanes that would rock.

My first year at NESA I believe we had 22-24 birds on the ramp. Last year I don't remember, this year I'd say we can expect 30+.

NESA MAS has a small crew of FLM/FLS personnel that run our line for us. Most of these people are former NESA grads from other schools who came over to help. I've never heard of them planning on doing anything as far as a formal "training" program, but then again, the NESA flightline can be so busy (read: fast paced but safe so that we can accomplish everything we need to for the large amount of students we have) at times that it might not be the best place for people to be learning.

But it really is a neat sight to see a conga line of 20 CAP aircraft taxiing out for departure...  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RiverAux

Quote from: Short Field on May 07, 2010, 03:13:35 AM
Then your option as a AOBD is to not have anyone supervising the aircraft on the ramp - if the IC agrees with you.   If you don't need anyone on the ramp, why are you putting people out there to start with?
We don't generally.  I don't think we really need people on the ramp most of the time, if at all.  As far as I can tell, the only reason we have FLMs is to give cadets something to do.

Short Field

Quote from: SarDragon on May 07, 2010, 05:37:47 AM
You're evading my point, so I'll be direct - what's the difference between a trained 18 yo CAP cadet, and a trained 18 yo sailor?
A trained 18 yo sailor has a legal and moral contract with the US Navy that puts the sailor at unlimited liability whenever and however the Navy decides.  A trained 18 yo cadet and his parents have a contract with CAP that promises we will not abuse or endanger the cadet.  Just a tad different...

Old topic but the bottom line is that a cadet is a cadet and requires adult supervision for ES operations.  That is why cadet GTLs must have a senior member on the team and that cadet MPs cannot fly other cadets.  Not my rule - CAP's rule.  If you want to argue the different between a 18 year old cadet and a 18 year old SM, knock yourself out.  While you are at it please address the supervision requirements for each of other six ages in the 12-18 year old group other than the 18 year olds. 

FYI:  I was wearing RM strips in my teens and a high school bud earned the MOH (posthumously) his first year out of high school.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Quote from: RiverAux on May 07, 2010, 12:45:44 PM
I don't think we really need people on the ramp most of the time, if at all.  As far as I can tell, the only reason we have FLMs is to give cadets something to do.
We normally have very few cadets show up to be FLMs.  We do have several SMs who are limited in other duties but can handle FLM duties very well that show up a lot.  I find that if you have FLMs who can keep the aircraft secure and supervise the refueling operation, get the fuel receipts, etc, it can knock 20-30 minutes off the debriefing process.
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

If that is all the FLMs are doing, I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with an unsupervised senior member FLM doing that.  But, if anyone is marshalling aircraft then they should be doing it with an FLS on scene or not at all. 

Short Field

It is all a matter of degrees.  As long as the people are doing functions they are trained to do and doing them safely, there should be no issues. 
Wilson #2640