Main Menu

sUAS Mission Task Guide

Started by etodd, July 11, 2019, 07:22:53 PM

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2019, 03:08:45 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on July 12, 2019, 02:46:40 PM
More likely it is CAP HQ that needs to do things according to their own policies and those of the parent and regulatory organizations before they find themselves getting slam dunked by the USAF, FAA, and every lawyer that can make a case.

+1 It's "Do as I say not as I do fatigue."

Agree with all of that. Yep.

When the AF came along and said "we want this new program, and we want it NOW .....  CAP hired new paid personnel to get it rolling NOW ... the new sUAS Head has to start NOW getting people like me trained and rolling.

We have Task guides for AP and much more that are YEARS out of date because the "CAP System" of rolling out new regs and guides is HORRIBLY flawed, and can be outrun by snails.

The old ways for much of this just will not work, when a customer , FEMA, Air Force, etc. ... want it done NOW.

Yes, It is way past due for a wholesale revision of how CAP goes about writing and issuing regs and task guides.  With technology changing the way it does, this new sUAS Task Guide will be out of date next year.

If CAP is to stay relevant with the needs of our customers .. the old methods MUST change. 

How to accomplish this?  Seeing that most of this is done by volunteers who can work on something, a little here, and then a little more next month ..... I couldn't begin to understand how CAP can change. But change it must.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

THRAWN

Eventually, you will figure out that CAP cannot and does not make arbitrary changes in a vacuum. Until then, keep building that eeelite company of fighting men, Major Powers...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Quote from: THRAWN on July 12, 2019, 03:36:49 PM
Eventually, you will figure out that CAP cannot and does not make arbitrary changes in a vacuum. Until then, keep building that eeelite company of fighting men, Major Powers...

You know I love the humor in all this. Keeps it fun and interesting, otherwise, it would just be so dull here. There are only so many times people can discuss what ribbon goes where. Oh wait ....

Elite company? Hardly.  As I've said before, other than the push to "get it done", this is no different that other gear training times. Like the Garmin Virb.  A flurry of activity as everyone gets the gear, learns it, gets qualified at SAREXs, etc.  ... then ... the gear gets put in the Squadron closet next to the DSLR case and Elper case.  The drone case will be there as well. Brought out as needed.  And that will be that, in the end.  Its just another tool.  LOL

etodd

arajca

IIRC, the moratorium on new publications was a directive by a previous CAP/CC. Two easy solutions:
1. Current CAP/CC lifts moratorium completely. It's far past time.
2. CAP/Cc issues a en exemption/waiver for the sUAS publications due to USAF/FEMA requirements.

Either one allows CAP to PROPERLY publish the sUAS regs/pam/SQTRs.

CFToaster

What is this moratorium on new publications of which you speak? Is that what's holding up the new HSO regs, too?

Eclipse

Quote from: CFToaster on July 12, 2019, 04:24:55 PM
What is this moratorium on new publications of which you speak?

Note, the memo is dated 2015

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/publications
"CAP is ushering in a new way of doing business, and our first major initiative will be to review and rewrite all CAP publications.

This initiative, which was approved by Gen Vazquez, supports CAP's 2016-2020 Strategic Plan.  The goal is to streamline CAP's process for developing publications and to make it easier for our members to understand and comply with the publications.  On 13 November Gen Vazquez signed a moratorium on the revision of all CAP publications to focus publication developers' attention on the task at hand.  The moratorium takes effect 1 January 2016.

Ultimately, all CAP publications will be rewritten from essentially a blank sheet of paper, a process that's expected to take several years to complete.  The end result will be clearly defined and easily understood compliance requirements.

We know this is of critical importance to CAP members and that is why it is a high priority in CAP's Strategic Plan.  "

Quote from: CFToaster on July 12, 2019, 04:24:55 PM
Is that what's holding up the new HSO regs, too?

No, that's due to lack of anyone caring.

"That Others May Zoom"

CFToaster

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2019, 04:48:30 PM

Please let me know if you want me to start a new thread on this topic, but I very much doubt that. There is a sizable and vocal contingent of HSOs on a Facebook group clambering for the new 160 series (which is supposed to be renumbered).

Eclipse

Quote from: CFToaster on July 12, 2019, 04:55:41 PM

Please let me know if you want me to start a new thread on this topic, but I very much doubt that. There is a sizable and vocal contingent of HSOs on a Facebook group clambering for the new 160 series (which is supposed to be renumbered).

Nope.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: CFToaster on July 12, 2019, 04:55:41 PM

The HSOs can clamor all they want; the LEADERSHIP isn't listening to the MEMBERS.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on July 12, 2019, 03:24:25 PM
..... CAP hired new paid personnel to get it rolling NOW ...

Wait, CAP HIRED people rather than working from within its membership base?

Larry Mangum

This has drifted off topic, so teh thread is done. Locked!
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001