Main Menu

ELT Hunting with SDRs?

Started by Holding Pattern, May 20, 2019, 05:49:51 PM

Holding Pattern

I'm not sure how many of you have been following the SDR scene, but low cost receivers are now everywhere. Couple that with the low cost and low powered computing systems out there, and we have ourselves a host of new ways to track ELTs.

Example 1

RasHAWK - Distributed EM Situational Awareness Based on Raspberry Pi and REDHAWK:
https://www.geontech.com/download/white_papers/AOC_Challenge_GEON.pdf

Example 2

KerberosSDR 4x Coherent RTL-SDR For Direction Finding & Passive Radar
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kerberossdr-4x-coherent-rtl-sdr/x/15549662#/

---

Note that both of these projects are essentially homegrown, which means that squadrons choosing to look at these options would need a brain trust of amateur radio guys or hackerspace/makerspace support or other technical professionals to bring these ideas to fruition.

That said, the heavy math portions are done already; most of what is needed now are just basic soldering skills and the ability to build a computer, along with some linux setup knowledge.

RasHAWK is from 2013; the latest generation of Pi computers removes the need for at least one peripheral from their reference design.

This technology will continue to move forward; it also isn't limited to ELT DF work. In theory CAP could for example set up a series of monitoring stations around an event and provide DF data on rogue drone operators in an area, or search for cellular signals in the wilderness.

Here is a 2018 data-heavy video covering some of the possibilities:

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=-n1bRgVFafA

I'm interested in the thoughts of people here who are playing with SDRs or do current CAP or amateur radio DF work.

sardak

Suggest you try the Emergency Services and Operations section.  User GZCP31 has been working with SDR DF and has posted there.  Several CAP members, not on CAP Talk, have also been looking at SDR for DFing.

Mike

GZCP31

I am in the beginning stages of the KeberosSDR testing. The equipment looks to be solid. It is in it's first generation of production hardware. The software portion is still limited on what it can do with the Demo software available.

We are currently using the RTS-SDR for SAR due to the inexpensive hardware. Most of my GTMs carry the equipment with them in their cars. We have even talked an antenna manufacturer to build and market the antenna for the system. PM me if you would like more information on the work we have done and the training documents.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

Spaceman3750

I toyed with the idea of sticking a couple SDR antennas and a Pi on a drone and doing the DF with some Python, but it never moved past the "Hey this might be cool" stage.