Main Menu

Physicals and such:

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, March 01, 2019, 02:47:37 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

How many readers bother to get annual physical exams (wellness checks)?  When renewing the FAA Medical if the AME asks if you would like a Prostate Check how many readers say yes?  So what's the point of this?
For the last three years during my annual wellness checks my doctor noted my PSA was showing a gradual increase, but remained in a "lets watch it mode"  Last year renewing my physical the flight doc checked the Prostate and noted an abnormality, so off to the urologist and a biopsy that came back negative.  This year, he PSA showed a jump, so back to the urologist, an MRI that showed a spot, another biopsy and this time, yet, it came back cancer.  A couple months getting a second opinion, meeting with a surgeon and a radiologist, and doing a lot of reading and research.  Last month (24 Jan) I underwent robotic surgery to remove the prostate.  Pathology shows it was 10% involved with cancer.  The best part was all the cancer was inside, and no sign of having migrated to the outside of the Prostate or to other areas.  On the road to recovery now, and grateful for early detection and corrective action. 

Guys. monitor your PSA Readings, and consult with a Urologist.  I had no symptoms at all and no indication anything was amiss.  Although the current thoughts are the majority (NOT ALL) Prostate Cancers are slow growing and depending on age, some can be ignored, this is not a universal truth.  Veterans Groups are now discussing fast growing aggressive prostate cancers showing up in Vietnam Vets and Vets fro the Gulf.   The former president (and Korean War Vet) of the company I work for passed away from Prostate Cancer last year.  It is not an easy way to go.    Get checked and may all of us live long.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

etodd

Good message. Thanks.

I'll add one. If you're over 50, get a Colonoscopy. Don't hesitate, do it now, and then as often as recommended. Early detection is the key here as well.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

I keep putting mine off. I'm 52, doctor recommended at my physical before I turned 50. I need to get on the stick and get that scheduled.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.