Glendale - ParadeStore.com is having a Thanksgiving 10% off sale

Started by Майор Хаткевич, November 27, 2013, 05:33:02 PM

Майор Хаткевич

The poor have a much smaller voice than others. Sometimes these antics are the only way.

TexasCadet

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 02, 2013, 06:36:00 PM
The poor have a much smaller voice than others. Sometimes these antics are the only way.

True. However, kids and "older" people also have a smaller voice. Society seems to "ignore" poor people, kids, and older people.

JayT

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 02, 2013, 05:18:17 PM
Quote from: JayT on December 02, 2013, 04:52:31 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on December 02, 2013, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: JayT on December 01, 2013, 09:40:03 PM
Read Barbara Ehrenreich's 'Nickle and Dimed: On Not Getting By In America," especially the last section when she works as a Walmart Associate for several weeks. It's un-American the position that society puts the working poor in this nation.

They should not obstruct traffic.

The world isn't black and white buddy.

[rant]

Okay. It is either the U.S. Constitution or the Texas Constitution that says we the people have the right to abolish the government and form a new one (either the U.S. or the Texas one, depending on which constitution it is). All I have to do is gather a couple of people, sit down in the middle of I-35, and wait for my way to happen. I know people who are poor aren't always in that situation because of themselves. But, newsflash, bud- 99.99% of the time, you shouldn't break the law to get your way.

[/rant]

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2013, 05:05:45 PM
True enough, which means the "WALMart" is evil nonsense goes both ways as well.

"Society" doesn't put people anywhere, generally that is decisions made (or not made) by the people involved.

Yes, there are pressures and prejudices which make things significantly more difficult for a chunk of society which
is in turn ill-prepared to make good decisions on their own behalf, that doesn't change the conversation.

It is, in fact, a very complicated conversation.

+1

You argument is hardly compelling if you can't even be bothered to look up which document you're referring too.

Again, I'll tell you this because I didn't know it at your age.....the world isn't black and white.

I also disagree that we have as much control over our destiny's as we like to think we do. I'm as much a product of my families success and position as I am a product of my own hard work and determination. When I work in the low income areas, the problems I see often go back generations. Poverty leads to poverty, alcoholism leads to alcoholism, drug abuse leads to drug abuse, child abuse leads to child abuse. Then you have an entity like WalMart that feeds into the idea that if the poor just work harder, they won't be poor, while simultaneously keeping wages so low that it's difficult at best to advance up the food chain.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

abdsp51

People may have a right to protest, however they do not have the right to block the flow of traffic or impede others going about their business.

a2capt

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 03, 2013, 05:53:27 AMPeople may have a right to protest, however they do not have the right to block the flow of traffic or impede others going about their business.
Or hassle them.. like I witnessed striking supermarket workers hassling customers entering the store, "crossing the 'line'", and going so far as to throw eggs on a couple cars, after people entered the store.

Yes, cops got called. They just lost what little sympathy I had left for their cause, after that.

..and where did they get the eggs? The store they were striking. Hypocrites.

How did we get here, from a parade store discount offer? ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on December 03, 2013, 07:30:23 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 03, 2013, 05:53:27 AMPeople may have a right to protest, however they do not have the right to block the flow of traffic or impede others going about their business.
Or hassle them.. like I witnessed striking supermarket workers hassling customers entering the store, "crossing the 'line'", and going so far as to throw eggs on a couple cars, after people entered the store.

Yes, cops got called. They just lost what little sympathy I had left for their cause, after that.

..and where did they get the eggs? The store they were striking. Hypocrites.

How did we get here, from a parade store discount offer? ;)

I believe this post was the start of the drift:

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 27, 2013, 07:32:42 PM
This sale reminds me of all the ads I keep seeing in the newspaper. It is sad that employees have to work on Thanksgiving just so stores can make an extra buck. (I'm not saying this website is doing that.) I swear, by the time I am an adult, Black Friday will have turned into Black Week.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret